Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

napoleon_in_rags

Mar 1, 2006, 7:56 PM
Post #26 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Re: Poaching the Noob [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Its my only chance at immortality

"I"

bobruef

Mar 1, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #27 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol: oui :lol:

climbsomething

Mar 1, 2006, 8:24 PM
Post #28 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know I know! How about "pathetic" or "tool." Simple, elegant, accurate.

camhead created a shoe-based n00b flame. That is so hott.

Partner camhead

Mar 1, 2006, 8:53 PM
Post #29 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

do you mean my Sportiva Cliffs comment? Maybe I'll just start calling n00bs "anasazis"!

capcom1701

Mar 1, 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #30 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Stop trying to help her put on her harness.
Stop using the overused "That's a nice rack" trad pick up line.

I guess comments about "holding on to jugs" are probably overused too... damn.

acacongua

Mar 1, 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #31 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a fun thread! I move around a lot for my job and each time I check out the gym, there's always one or two who pounce on the new chick of the day. I just wanna climb.

BTW, those ladies who climb hard and have an entourage of males around them might be single. You might stand a chance so don't feel intimidated, unless you climb well below her level.

Partner brent_e

Mar 2, 2006, 3:16 AM
Post #32 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

BTW, those ladies who climb hard and have an entourage of males around them might be single. You might stand a chance so don't feel intimidated, unless you climb well below her level.

one still shouldn't be intimidated. Why would you be??? You're no less worthy if you can climb 5.6. If they intimidate and boast, they likely aren't worth it, anyway.

Brent

anykineclimb

Mar 2, 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #33 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

do you mean my Sportiva Cliffs comment? Maybe I'll just start calling n00bs "anasazis"!

don't you mean "ancient enemy"?

wouldn't want to offend :wink:

acacongua

Mar 2, 2006, 2:46 PM
Post #34 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

one still shouldn't be intimidated. Why would you be??? You're no less worthy if you can climb 5.6. If they intimidate and boast, they likely aren't worth it, anyway.

Brent

Very true, but it's difficult for an 5.6 climber to date a 5.12+ climber. The 5.6 climber would have to be a dedicated belayer, and I've been in those shoes. It sucked.

Partner bdplayer

Mar 2, 2006, 3:19 PM
Post #35 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course poaching can also refer to going hunting outside of approved areas. Sounds like the thrill of the chase may become even more interesting with a jealous boyfriend trying to cut your toprope.

"I"

elvislegs

Mar 2, 2006, 3:38 PM
Post #36 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
How about "weird guy with cams in on his harness even though he's inside a gym" ?

charm bracelet

awesome!

aztec6561

Mar 4, 2006, 1:23 AM
Post #37 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[

Stop using the overused "That's a nice rack" trad pick up line.

But it is a nice rack

namoclimber

Mar 4, 2006, 1:35 AM
Post #38 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua
In reply to:
Very true, but it's difficult for an 5.6 climber to date a 5.12+ climber.

Ill swing leads with ya, if the comment of being around men, but still single applies? :wink:

blondgecko

Mar 4, 2006, 8:46 AM
Post #39 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Heh. That reminds me of a particularly funny scene down at the local outdoor gym that is Kangaroo Point.

Picture this: two guys, obviously fairly new to the sport, taking a pretty girl toproping for the first time ever. Not only did they helpfully offer to put on her harness for her, but the harness was "inconveniently" completely undone - waist and leg buckles! As I led off, she was standing there looking embarrassed, with one guy kneeling on either side. I don't know how they managed it, but they were just finishing up by the time I lowered off, a good 5-10 minutes later...

alpine_monk

Mar 4, 2006, 2:07 PM
Post #40 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Heh. That reminds me of a particularly funny scene down at the local outdoor gym that is Kangaroo Point.

Picture this: two guys, obviously fairly new to the sport, taking a pretty girl toproping for the first time ever. Not only did they helpfully offer to put on her harness for her, but the harness was "inconveniently" completely undone - waist and leg buckles! As I led off, she was standing there looking embarrassed, with one guy kneeling on either side. I don't know how they managed it, but they were just finishing up by the time I lowered off, a good 5-10 minutes later...
Duh, thats how long it takes to run through all the pull testing and system checks.

squierbypetzl

Mar 4, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #41 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, I suggest "Napoleon Poacher" in your honor. Years from now when it's part of the climbing lexicon but no one remembers the origin, people will think it's a dis on the French.

Not to mention the pronunciation change from poacher to poashér....

dirtineye

Jun 22, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #42 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suggest , "Poacheur".

Cherchez les femmes!

En garde!

shanz

Jun 22, 2006, 1:26 PM
Post #43 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading this makes me feel alot better that i met my fiance before i started climbing, that way i never have to go through this sort of turmoil. or as some call it boulderer or gym rat syndrome

oh and also yes im in IT and this IS how i spend my day...

markc

Jun 22, 2006, 1:35 PM
Post #44 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I had the opposite experience. I had a climbing acquaintance that brought his girlfriend climbing from time to time. She never really got into it, and was never motivated to look after her own safety very much. He put an ultra-adjustable harness on her in a pretty funky (but safe) way that made lowering uncomfortable. She complained, and my wife went to look. "Honey, her harness looks weird. I'm not familiar with this one, can you fix it?" I go over, and the girl just wants to stand there while I make all the adjustments. She couldn't have cared less, but I felt a little awkward.

markc

Jun 22, 2006, 1:35 PM
Post #45 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I had the opposite experience. I had a climbing acquaintance that brought his girlfriend climbing from time to time. She never really got into it, and was never motivated to look after her own safety very much. He put an ultra-adjustable harness on her in a pretty funky (but safe) way that made lowering uncomfortable. She complained, and my wife went to look. "Honey, her harness looks weird. I'm not familiar with this one, can you fix it?" I go over, and the girl just wants to stand there while I make all the adjustments. She couldn't have cared less, but I felt a little awkward.

clmbr121

Jun 22, 2006, 2:22 PM
Post #46 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Aye"

But a point...how would we abbreviate this? "Napolean Poacher" could be a bit unweildy at times...

BTW...whoever posted the Scientology link...good stuff. Very good stuff. Wait...I hear a knocking at my door, I'll be right back...

Partner sevrdhed

Jun 22, 2006, 2:40 PM
Post #47 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Very true, but it's difficult for an 5.6 climber to date a 5.12+ climber. The 5.6 climber would have to be a dedicated belayer, and I've been in those shoes. It sucked.

Kinda off topic, but I disagree with this sentiment in that, I've been in the same situation except I climbed significantly harder than my then-girlfriend. The obvious thing to do in that case is, if you respect the person you're dating and want them to enjoy themselves, to take them to lots of easy routes. I personally enjoy climbing 5.6 just as much as 5.12, so I never made her belay me on any ill sick wicked gnar gnar projs or anything. That's reserved for my regular belay sla.... errr, partner :D

Steve

airbender

Jun 23, 2006, 3:40 AM
Post #48 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been married for about as long as I have been climbing and while I can appriciate good scenery I'm not looking for other women. The problem is 95% of girls at the crag or gym think any guy that speaks to them is a fter a shot of legg. Ladies chill out not every guy is after you some of us just look at you as other humans.

markc

Jun 23, 2006, 2:14 PM
Post #49 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Kinda off topic, but I disagree with this sentiment in that, I've been in the same situation except I climbed significantly harder than my then-girlfriend. The obvious thing to do in that case is, if you respect the person you're dating and want them to enjoy themselves, to take them to lots of easy routes. I personally enjoy climbing 5.6 just as much as 5.12, so I never made her belay me on any ill sick wicked gnar gnar projs or anything. That's reserved for my regular belay sla.... errr, partner :D

With any group of climbers you're going to have different ability levels. Usually the gap isn't as large as 5.6 to 5.12. If it is, it usually doesn't stay that way for long. I'm no 5.12 climber, but I've taken out new or less experienced climbers. It takes a bit of planning, but you look for crags with a range of grades. Harder climbers can warm up on easier lines to rig ropes, everyone can exchange belays and beta, and no one feels shortchanged.

If you're doing multipitch routes, it's harder to work out. The weaker climber needs to at least be able to follow at a certain grade (if they don't want to jug or french-free). Still, some routes have fairly varied grades. If that strategy doesn't work, there's no reason the harder climber can't climb a casual route on occasion to enjoy the SO's company. I try to remember that kindness will pay off once that person eclipses me.

acacongua

Jun 23, 2006, 2:38 PM
Post #50 of 57 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Steve

I so agree with you, but when I was climbing easier, guys didn't want to do that. Now that I'm climbing harder, I realize what a pain I was! Oh wait, I still am, but at least I climb harder routes (sometimes).

I have utmost respect for the guys and gals who turn their noobie SOs into capable climbers because it's a lot of work!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook