Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jkarns

Feb 28, 2006, 1:42 PM
Post #26 of 32 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Re: Racial and Ethnic Minority Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

One my my best friends and long-time climbing partner is the son of a German and a Haitian who both moved to America. He had an upper-middle class upbringing and spend a fair amount of time in the mountains of Europe with his German family. For this reason, I beieve that he associates himself moreso with European culture, despite his darker skin.

Again, I think that the greatest influences on starting climbing are socioeconomic factors and proximitiy yo climbing (either indoor or outdoor).

ninja_climber

Feb 28, 2006, 3:16 PM
Post #27 of 32 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They had a front page picture of 2 gay guys flexing.

drewnobi

Mar 2, 2006, 6:06 AM
Post #28 of 32 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Let us not forget the cultural component of this disscussion.
When I was growing up in "DA HOOD" most of my friends, cousins, uncles, and adult males were into fighting, lowriding, and all sorts of criminal mischief. Just about every person in my extended family has been incarcerated by the law at some point.
Rock climbing was not even a concept in my younger world. My saving grace was parents with enough forsight to see to it I was always busy doing something to keep me out of trouble.
My pops always took me hunting and fishing, so thats where my passion for the hills grew from.
Moms would work her ass off so I would always have a skateboard to play with(cause she knew i'd go steal one otherwise). Skateboarding led me to snow boarding which led me to a mtn.sports type store that had climbing gear also. Well, those were just about the coolest toys I had ever seen in my whole life, I was hooked. I couldn't afford any gear at that point, but there was a little yellow book there for 5 bucks called Rockcraft by Royal Robbins. Bought it, and studied that book. Figured out all the knots with a piece of scrappy rope. Read a couple more books on the subject all the while hoarding my money for some gear. Finally got the essentials (harness, rope, set of nuts, sut of hexes, some webbing for runners, some ovals, a super 8, and some stiff ass board lasted crack shoes. Had every thing but a partner. Time soon sent me a person who had climbed before. So we go out and climb a 5.9 sport route. Partner gets to the first bolt, can't make it any higher. Well I've just read 3 books on the subject so I'm an expert right? I make it to the anchor in no time and back to the ground and thus began my life passion.
I live a dramaticly different life than all the folks from the old neigborhood because of climbing.
I wish all the kids and punks and thieves that I grew up with could have had the same kind of liberation from city existence like me, but sadly it could not be. Many of them are dead, hard core addicts, or in prison.
They were wrapped up in a culture where the mountain life is as much of a concept as playing polo at the country club.
I sure the hell feel lucky.

Thanks for the post. It is very insightful. What do you think was the most important factor that lead to your passion? Was it the experience itself? Or something else? What about your friends from "DA HOOD?" What do they think of you know?

drewnobi

Mar 2, 2006, 6:10 AM
Post #29 of 32 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yes, i'm not afraid to say as another 'visible minority' that the sport is overwhelmingly white. at the same time, i have never found myself unwelcome, all the climbers i've met are extremely hospitable. it may be a similar pattern to other sports that require a lot of resources, such as scuba diving (although climbing is really not that expensive comparatively).

most sports have a critical mass of minorities who have achieved everything possible. i think the unique things about climbing that makes it harder for many people without an 'in' to get involved are:

1) climbing is still largely taught through one-on-one relationships. i don't know of anyone who just picked up a book or rope and spontaneously began climbing. most people i know, including myself, had a guide who cared enough to show us how great the sport is. usually a friend or mentor... let's be honest, friendship (esp. as you grow older) is still in most cases with people of similar race and class backgrounds.

2) minorities who still don't have an decent piece of the pie in the society are sometimes motivated to excel in sports b/c other doors to achievement and wealth are not exactly wide open. but if you can get sponsored by rbk or make it onto the wheaties box, you can gain a lot of recognition and wealth. climbing (thank god) is not a place where celebrities and endorsements are the thing. most climbers don't climb so they can 'be like mike'. the downside is that minorities who look to sports as an alternative path to societal recognition will probably practice other sports before they spend their weekends climbing b/c other sports are more likely to provide recognition.

obviously this is contentious b/c white climbers are a liberal lot who (rightly, i think) believe themselves to be more accepting than most. but i think making a concerted effort (perhaps with an assist from some philanthropists) to get more blacks, native-americans, latinos, etcetera into the sport will enrich the sport and push it in new directions. minorities who climb may also find that it provides an opportunity to network with a lot of well-off folks with open minds, and that will push the whole society forward.... :wink:

Very well spoken. I think what you said about relationships is key. I think that our social connections lead us into most of the things we do. Also what you said about making friends with similar people is also, unfortunately, true.

sonso45

Mar 2, 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #30 of 32 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was given the chance to learn rockclimbng in the Marines. I had seen someone climbing once and thought it was exciting but had no idea how to get started or who would do that. That was in the late '60s. I was living in central Phoenix in the projects. Once in the military I met others who were into the outdoors and that's how I got into climbing. My old friends from the barrio, like asendr's, are in a similar plight. I got lucky and I worked hard to leave it behind. Now, I meet many partners of different backgrounds that have one thing in common, climbing. Other than that, I don't feel the tension I get from other encounters with people who view dark skin as threatening. M

raymondjeffrey

Mar 2, 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #31 of 32 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have met a bunch of Asian guys and gals climbing. Handful of Jewish folks, couple Mormons (no, they didn't drink all of my beer), few Buddists, tons of atheists, scores of hippies, and tonnes (I think that is the metric spelling) of Europeans. Come to think of it, I would say that climbing is generally pretty diverisified; more so than my college football team; two ethnicities: black and white.

Victor Frankl in his book 'Mans Search for Meaning' says that 'there are only two races; the decent and the indecent'. For the most part I have met nothing but very genuine people climbing. The dicks, assholes, bitches, perverts, litterbugs, cocky fuckers, and all the other types of unlikeable folks do well to avoid me.

Carry On,

Jefro

tradrenn

Mar 3, 2006, 3:14 AM
Post #32 of 32 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm white and I'm from Poland, I'm what you could refer to as "invisible minority" In last 3 years I have climb with people from Europe, Asia, Africa, America, South America. I never thought of racial issues before replying to this thread.

I think there might be a reason why there is so many white people rock climbing.
1. Society, like other user explain very nicely.
2. Does anybody remember "Gone in 60 Seconds" (the remake)
In the movie there is a black guy that says:

"Shit I can't swim. I know I can't. So you know what I do ? I stay my black ass outta the pool"

That would be the reason why not many black people climb.

Unless your name is Trevor Massiah

It is hard to be racial in the country where everyone is ( like 98% ) from somewhere alse.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook