RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

gogo

Mar 5, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #1 of 6 (592 views)
Shortcut

Red Rocks questions (Not Rendezvous related) - 3/12-3/19
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, my housemates and I, along with some other climbers from up here in Tacoma, are heading down to Red Rocks next friday for a week of climbing and enjoying life.

I've looked over the routes DB here on rockclimbing.com, and have a pretty good (and by pretty good I mean vague) idea of where we want to focus on climbing and where we want to camp. I had a few questions, though, and if anyone can help with these it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - In terms of camping, I see that there is a campground at the start of the canyons, but I've heard it fills up hella quick. We're going to be about 8-10 people, and plan on just showing up, but if the campsite is full, does anyone know of another place to camp nearby (within an hour of red rocks, preferably).

2 - The group we have is pretty mixed in terms of ability level. There are some who would be working on learning to lead some easy climbs (5.7-5.9), a few who would be climbing 5.10/11 comfortably, and one who will be stealing belays to work on hard .12/easy 13. Are there any specific spots y'all can recommend which would work out well for everyone?

Muchas gracias,
Paz,
Mike

vegastradguy

Mar 5, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #2 of 6 (592 views)
Shortcut

Re: Red Rocks questions (Not Rendezvous related) - 3/12-3/19 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if the campsite is full, does anyone know of another place to camp nearby (within an hour of red rocks, preferably).

not legally, no. bandit camping is around, but you take your chances- Red Rock BLM Rangers know the spots....sometimes there are no problems, other times you get woken up late at night.

In reply to:
2 - The group we have is pretty mixed in terms of ability level. There are some who would be working on learning to lead some easy climbs (5.7-5.9), a few who would be climbing 5.10/11 comfortably, and one who will be stealing belays to work on hard .12/easy 13. Are there any specific spots y'all can recommend which would work out well for everyone?

um, sport climbing, i assume? The Gallery has that range. Sweet Pain and the Corridor are right next to each other. Panty Wall has some options as well. Although, to be honest, my knowledge of the sport climbing in RR is sorely lacking. I also suspect that Sandstone Quarry has some areas worth checking out as well.

if i can help further, feel free to pm me.

flamer

Mar 5, 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #3 of 6 (592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
1 - In terms of camping, I see that there is a campground at the start of the canyons, but I've heard it fills up hella quick. We're going to be about 8-10 people, and plan on just showing up, but if the campsite is full, does anyone know of another place to camp nearby (within an hour of red rocks, preferably).

At the southern end of the Red rock escarpment is highway 160, this is the road that is taken to reach the turn off for Black velvet canyon. If you take this highway west, towards the town of Pahrump, you'll drive over a short pass. On the back side of the RR escarpment is a paved county road called the lovell canyon road. You can legally camp off of this road anywhere it's not marked "no camping". There are several dirt roads that turn off of this road and lead out into the desert....I would suggest exploring them and finding a good spot. There are no bathrooms or water out there, but the camping is free and legal. This falls under the laws that allow you to camp on Forest service/BLM land for 21 days, before moving to a new spot. However if it's marked no camping, don't!

There are also similiar places up towards Mt. charleston, but these are alittle further away. I'd suggest trying to get into the 13 mile campground as it would be the most convient for climbing in RR.

Goodluck and HAVE FUN!

josh

sactownclimber

Mar 5, 2006, 9:21 PM
Post #4 of 6 (592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can try to get a group campsite at 13-Mile . . . we were there in January and all the group sites were empty. You can also camp up at Mt. Charleston, but as was previously stated, it's further away, and it's probably colder up there right now.

jabtocrag

Mar 5, 2006, 9:47 PM
Post #5 of 6 (592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can also camp up at Mt. Charleston, but as was previously stated, it's further away, and it's probably colder up there right now.

It'll be much colder. I'd expect temps in the upper teens/lower 20s at night.

gogo

Mar 6, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #6 of 6 (592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, this info is perfect.

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook