Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner macherry

Mar 18, 2006, 2:51 AM
Post #76 of 83 (7428 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sexy Images Of Women Climbers In Climbing Magazines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok, maybe I am a bit jealous. It just seems unfair when you go out climbing with a sponsered female climber with her photo team and she's trying to redpoint your warmup route. Seriously, this just happened to me a few months ago. And this person's photo is splashed all over the mags in ads. I really liked her, so I won't mention her name. But, WTF? I guess it's all about who you know. I noticed that as soon as another friend started dating a well known climber, her pic started appearing in the mags as well. Interesting.

if that's the way you feel, you'll eventually give up climbing and move on to some other sport where you'll get your due recognition. But, then again, maybe you won't, it happens in lots of sports.
I know many female skiiers that rip it up constantly, hang with the big boys, but just aren't interested in any kind of recognition. They do it because the love of the sport. And i know sub-par skiers that just know how to work the sponosrship circuit.

it comes down to what's more important to you having a good day climbing with friends or recognition from the press.

I'll take a good day climbing or skiing.

best to drop the bitterness, it's not very good for the soul

jakedatc

Mar 18, 2006, 2:59 AM
Post #77 of 83 (7428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ahh.. at least we're down to the heart of the matter and don't have to hide behind a weak stance of how they are dressed in said pictures.

i have a friend.. shoe sponsored.. is in a catalog and on posters on a 5.10 trad route. it's photogenic.. it's semi- posed to all get out (many takes to get the right shot). i'm not even sure she's redpointed over .12a outdoors. it doesn't matter.

which brings up the point. If someone is going to be re-climbing sections of a route.. picking something at their limit is not a good way to get alot of shots. Drop them down a few letters and they will be able to do laps on sections to get good shots.. or different shots to see what the editors want.

Also, i believe there was an outcry a while ago that people would like to see climbers on routes more do-able by the general public.. not just the latest 14b testpiece.

like wallress said it's about the asthetics of the shot.. not the grade.

And you should know plenty of people and get yourself out there in video form alot more than alot of people. Just because it's not in a production film or in a magazine you have plenty of air time through kyle's site. Now that they've hooked up with urban climber maybe you could talk to them about getting a shot in there. see if they are writing an article about AZ and find a nice route out there that would photo well.

from a photo comment Aimee wrote:
In reply to:
I love how people's egos cause them to sandbag everything.
hmm maybe you need to stop sandbagging others accomplishments and focus on what you can do for yourself

And yes.. it's who you know.. but making that sound like they are dating just to be in pics or whatever it makes you sound bitchy. What if they met at a photoshoot and clicked? Instead you should see that they are networking and were proactive about getting noticed.

aimeerose

Mar 18, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #78 of 83 (7428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, I'm not bitter. I'm really happy for most of the women who get the press and photos. There are a select few, who's attitudes are negative, but they are few and far between.

And I don't think I'm going to stop climbing anytime soon. I've been doing it for 10 years and I firstly do it for myself. I guess it just gets old hearing your husband say, every time you see the pic of the aforementioned gal who's project is my warmup, "You are so much stronger than her". It's like, thanks hubby, rub it in. Anyways, like I said before, she was a super nice gal, so that's great for her that she knows the right people to get her full page mag ads.

I would like to see Anna Burgeous more in mags and videos. She is one of the strongest bouldering females out there. There should be no article about Hueco that doesn't at least have one pic of her.

Partner macherry

Mar 18, 2006, 8:49 PM
Post #79 of 83 (7428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess it just gets old hearing your husband say, every time you see the pic of the aforementioned gal who's project is my warmup, "You are so much stronger than her". It's like, thanks hubby, rub it in. Anyways, like I said before, she was a super nice gal, so that's great for her that she knows the right people to get her full page mag ads.

i have no idea who you are talking about, but it still sounds like a lot of bitterness. Maybe her climbing had something to do with getting her in a full page mag ad or perhaps she worked really hard.

jakedatc

Mar 18, 2006, 9:18 PM
Post #80 of 83 (7428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or maybe kyle should stop comparing his wife to other climbers. who the fuck cares.

Whining that sponsored girls are projecting your warm ups makes you sound mighty elitist..
In reply to:
There are a select few, who's attitudes are negative
like yours?

Do you know that Anna wants to be all published and stuff? or are you just throwing around names. I'm sure with all the folks she guides around hueco if she wanted the publicity she could get it. she's shown up in many pictures on Norope

aimeerose

Mar 18, 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #81 of 83 (7428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="jakedatc"]
Whining that sponsored girls are projecting your warm ups makes you sound mighty elitist..
In reply to:

I can't help it if it's true and I am the furthest person from being an elitist that you'll ever know. You can ask anyone who's climbed with me. I spend a lot of time taking beginner climbers out on my own time.

Maybe Ana doesn't want publicity. Seems odd, cause that's what gets you $$ and gear, but it could be true.

jakedatc

Mar 18, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #82 of 83 (7428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, be upset at the companies sponsoring and putting the folks into the magazines.. don't take your frustration out on the climbers that have got what you're looking for.. they haven't done anything wrong.

(hopefully ive kept my arguing on what you're saying and not attacking you. If i get out to AZ i'd still climb with anyone out there. I just wanted to make that known)

aimeerose

Mar 18, 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #83 of 83 (7428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not taking it out on the climbers. Like I said before, I really liked this woman who I was climbing with. That's part of the reason I didn't mention her name or where we were. I've often thought that it would be difficult if you were sponsered and all over the mags and went out climbing and had a bad day, because people expect so much more from you. I place enough expectations on myself, that's probably the last thing I need! I manage to get some good industry hook-ups because of who I know, so I guess I should just be happy with that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook