Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbingbetty22

Mar 23, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #1 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

The perfect-sized pack...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I just got a new climbing pack. Fit is good, lots of cool little features that I'm digging, the only thing that I'm not sure I like about is its size- its 35 liters. That IS the same as my old pack, but I don't know though, I thought if I ever got a new pack I'd get something bigger. Though I tried a couple bigger packs a few months ago and there were some fit issues on my smaller, female frame. Supposedly the pack is adequately sized for a "two-day alpine style push." I CAN fit a day's worth of rock or ice gear in there just fine, but I wouldn't say two days worth. Maybe I overpack?

Anyhow, so I'm curious, what, in your experience is the perfect sized pack for standard climbing outings???

treez

Mar 23, 2006, 6:12 PM
Post #2 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Re: The perfect-sized pack... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You may have to define "standard climbing outing".

hammerhead

Mar 23, 2006, 6:13 PM
Post #3 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I think a 50 liter pack is the way to go. I bought an Osprey Vertigo 40 a few months ago and it can barely fit all of my gear and extras. I do like the internal gear loops and the daisy chain. It is well built and should last me many years.

crackers

Mar 23, 2006, 6:21 PM
Post #4 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Either a sixty liter pack that I can compress down easily, or...

my friend's pack! :twisted: :twisted:

dr_monkey

Mar 23, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #5 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that when they say a two day alpine climb they are assuming that all of your climbing gear will be in use, not in the pack. Besides that, i all depends on where and when you are climbing. N. cascades in early spring vs. the Sierras in late summer. How long is the approach? etc.

This is where being a gear whore is nice. I have 6 packs right now ranging from 90L to hydration pack sized (anybody need a 40L Montbell pack?) Unfortunately the one I have been using the most as of late is my book bag :( .

So the answer (for me) is all of the above.

Cheers,
DRS

microbarn

Mar 23, 2006, 6:44 PM
Post #6 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no matter what pack you have, you will always fill it and wish you had a little more room.

I like the idea of getting smaller packs to start limiting yourself.

aimeerose

Mar 23, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #7 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I'm looking for the perfect sport climbing pack (not to hijack the tread, but that's just how I am). I would love a panel loader as opposed to a top loader and one that comes in smaller sizes for fit. Any ideas?

greenketch

Mar 23, 2006, 8:02 PM
Post #8 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with Microbarn. No matter what you get it isn't enough. I have three packs not counting the dedicated hydration and such. I mostly use a 45 litre Kelty. It compresses if needed. Most 2-3 day trips I have about 30-32 litres worth of stuff. For the big trips I have a 55 litre Dana. But the one that sees the most use is my Dakine Helipro. It's just like Aimee was asking about. It will hold a reasonable rack, rope ties on the outside. It has an excellant suspension. Only 15 litre if I remember correct

chanceboarder

Mar 23, 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #9 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was using an old REI pack that was 50L I believe which always had plenty of room. Now I've upgraded to a better pack that is 45L + 10 with the extention sleve and it fits my needs just right.

climbingbetty22

Mar 23, 2006, 8:25 PM
Post #10 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
no matter what pack you have, you will always fill it and wish you had a little more room.

I like the idea of getting smaller packs to start limiting yourself.

This is such a great idea I love it!!!!

I use to have truck...little two seater thing with a big ol' stick in the middle (just how I like 'em! :twisted: ) that really prohibited squeezing in a third person. One little perk of that truck was that I never had to be the DD when going to the bar because we couldn't fit everyone in my car, so I could always be the one to drink, if I wanted too. (Before y'all start thinking I'm a total punk, I did volunteer sometimes to be the DD even if it wasn't my car.)

Anyway, this could be the same thing...

My partner: "Yo, can you take the rope? I've already got the rack, 2 water bottles and both of out lunches."
Me: "Dude! My pack is already full, I can't fit anything else in it or on it."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But in all seriousness, when I loaded it up today, I did put everything in it- the cams that usually don't carry because they aren't worth the space on my rack when climbing, my harness, helmet (which in truth in a pinch could always go on the outside of pack, shoes, AND my rope. In general my experience has been that when climbign with just one partner on a multi-pitch type outing, one person sacks up the rack, the other the rope, so if I'm only carrying one of the above, there should be plenty of room!!!

kubi

Mar 23, 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #11 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But in all seriousness, when I loaded it up today, I did put everything in it- the cams that usually don't carry because they aren't worth the space on my rack when climbing, my harness, helmet (which in truth in a pinch could always go on the outside of pack, shoes, AND my rope. In general my experience has been that when climbign with just one partner on a multi-pitch type outing, one person sacks up the rack, the other the rope, so if I'm only carrying one of the above, there should be plenty of room!!!

all that in a 35 liter? Was it stuffed to the gills? I've got a 35 liter pack too, and theres no way i'd be able to fit a rope or helmet in it. Both of those get strapped to the outside.

cortezmachine

Mar 23, 2006, 9:56 PM
Post #12 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

black diamond sidewinder 30 ltr. best rock climbing pack ever made.

davidji

Mar 23, 2006, 9:59 PM
Post #13 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Supposedly the pack is adequately sized for a "two-day alpine style push."
Is that when you don't take sleeping bag or shelter, 'cause you don't plan to stop moving?

35l is great for a crag pack, but if you're planning to carry your rock gear + sleeping bag, sleeping pad, bivy sack (or tarp), stove, fuel, water filter, food, etc, (bear can?), much larger is good.

smearns

Mar 23, 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #14 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also in the middle of trying to decide what size pack to get. I have gone from thinking that 60 liters was okay to thinking I might be able to get by with a 32 liter pack. The one criteria I am basing my decision on is if I can fit a rope inside the pack. To me this seems so much more convenient, however ropes take up a lot of space. Anyways, as of right now I think I am going to get a 55 liter Osprey Ariel. The cool features about this pack is that the hipbelt came be molded to the shape your hips and the backpanel has a mesh design that allows for maximum breathability, oh and it can fit my rope in the bottom of it with the rest of a days worth of climbing gear. :D

davidji

Mar 23, 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #15 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You may have to define "standard climbing outing".
What you said.

Is it a pack to carry your gear to a crag, and leave at the base of climbs? 35l is great.

Is it a pack to carry along on long rock climbs? A smaller, lighter pack would be more pleasant.

Is it supposed to hold your camping gear in addition to rope & rack? Sleeping bag, sleeping pad, bivy sack or tarp or tent, food, stove, water filter, bear can, or whatever? Way bigger than 35l, IMO, depending on what you're carrying.

bbecker

Mar 23, 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #16 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought an Alpinisto 55 a couple of months ago. The size is great, you can fit quite a bit of gear, etc. in it, plus it compresses down nicely. I don't think my Bora 30 will get much use this summer because of the Alpinisto.

Partner tattooed_climber

Mar 24, 2006, 3:38 AM
Post #17 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

35 is gooooood.....i use my 50ish for aidin.....i got by for years of craggin with a 22L (then i got stolen last month)...35 great for crag, multi, alpine, you name it....great=all around

climbingbetty22

Mar 24, 2006, 5:06 AM
Post #18 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^

God bless you my tattoo-sporting, heavy-metal loving, beer-sucking, decidely non-mortal, Canadian-friend. :D

35 liters to Freedom baby!

dudemanbu

Mar 24, 2006, 8:10 AM
Post #19 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I picked 35 liters because there wasn't anything smaller. My 2100 works just fine, i can fit my rack harness shoes helmet inside, two water bottles on the outside, keys and crap in the back pocket, and the rope across the top under the flap.

anykineclimb

Mar 24, 2006, 8:29 AM
Post #20 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to love my Vortex 2200 for cragging and overnighters but when I got a 60 litre Osprey Finesse Pro, I LOVED it! Some packs seem to just swallow gear and still maintain a small profile.

I think it comes down to preferenceand what you'll be doing. I like having everthing IN the pack for the most part. Especially on longer approaches.
On the short stuff. I'll sometimes put my harness on and rack up at the car. keeps you from worrying about your pack at the base.

papounet

Mar 24, 2006, 8:40 AM
Post #21 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THe perfect size alpine pack should be confortable and huge for going to the hut with all the gear inside and yet light and compact for the actual climbing.

I haven't found it

I do no longer mind having the rope and some of my gear hanging outside when not in use so the smaller bag are nicer
I just bought a Deuter 35+10 to complmetn my karrimor 55 (-now relegated to ski-touring) and my Lafuma 22 (used for multi-pitch)

crimpstrength

Mar 24, 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #22 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mammut ice 45

altelis

Mar 24, 2006, 1:18 PM
Post #23 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

35 L...you carry either the rope or the rack, your partner takes the other.....crampons/tools/helmet should be on the outside (if crampons/tools) are being used. when you look at it like that you have a LOT of room in a 35 L pack....anything bigger is WAY too big and unless you are doing winter stuff/cool LONG climbs you should really be able to get by with less

Partner kimgraves

Mar 24, 2006, 2:15 PM
Post #24 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Betty,

You forgot "None of the above."

My Cilogear packs start out big and compress down to nothing. I have two - one that starts out at 40L goes up to 60L and down to 20L. The other starts out at 60L goes up to 90L and down to 30L - or anything in between. Check out my review of the 60L and the 40L packs.

Used the 60L on Mt Washington last weekend. Hiked in at 70ish Liters(above) and camped. Then cashed most of our gear the following day and went high with a 30L.

YEA BABY! This is what alpine packs should be!

Best, Kim

(This post was edited by kimgraves on May 2, 2007, 4:39 PM)

vegastradguy

Mar 27, 2006, 7:53 AM
Post #25 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Personally, I'm looking for the perfect sport climbing pack (not to hijack the tread, but that's just how I am). I would love a panel loader as opposed to a top loader and one that comes in smaller sizes for fit. Any ideas?

yeah, check out Osprey packs. They make women specific packs, most of them panel loaders instead of top loaders. I own two Ospreys and love them both- the Vertigo and the Daylite. I'm not sure they make the Vertigo anymore, but if they do, that would be my recommendation.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook