RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

action

Mar 28, 2006, 5:16 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5580 views)
Shortcut

moving to farmington new mexico
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'm moving to farmington new mexico in mid april and was wondering what the scene is like. it would be great to hook up with some local climbers to learn the lie of the land. i climb sport and trad and also backpack (short and extended). drop me a pm or email me at: bighorn.alpine@gmail.com
thanks
action

iceisnice

Mar 28, 2006, 5:53 PM
Post #2 of 10 (5580 views)
Shortcut

Re: moving to farmington new mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moving to farmington...dude....i'm so sorry. hehe. just kidding. i work in farmington as a paramedic but live in durango. farmington can be a pretty weird place. for the very reason that my job is such a blast there....i would never want to live there. but that's just my opinion, hehe. others seem to like it. not many climbers there. only a couple that i know of.

action

Mar 29, 2006, 4:23 AM
Post #3 of 10 (5580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah well...i live in missouri at the moment and the closest place decent to climb is in arkansas (horse shoe canyon ranch), which is 4 1/2 hours away. so farmington is a step up for me. lol...anyway, i'm am closing on a house next week so i guess i'm stuck on the farm...thats ok tho'...so let me know if you want to hook up and show a brotha around. sport is great but trad is my passion...actually, I DONT CARE WHAT I CLIMB, AS LONG AS I'M CLIMBING...thanks for the info
jackson
p.s. is there a rack shak around town to pick up odds and ends?

ecjohnson

Mar 29, 2006, 5:37 AM
Post #4 of 10 (5580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know of any climbing shops down there, but there are three here in Durango. And any of the good climbing in the area is up our way anyways, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you don't mind my asking, why Farmington? just curious.

iceisnice

Mar 29, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definitely no climbing shops in farm. i'm also not too fond of sport climbing. i do a lot of trad climbing around the area...east animas, hermosa cliffs, ophir wall, etc. would be glad to show you around. could always use more partners. have a lot of time available to climb. i'm usually out climbing at least 4 days a week, but my schedule varies.

tanthalas39

Mar 30, 2006, 9:19 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in Farmington every other week for business, would love to hook up with any sort of climber - trad, sport, bouldering. Shoot me an email at dan at tradboy dot com!

elblat

Mar 31, 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Farmington is about 1.5 hours from Ponderosa, which is fun bouldering. There are closer boulderig areas that need developing, one that so far is super good. You are close to the Durango stuff,very close to a chossy volcanic classic that shall remain nameless, El Rito, Tres Piedras and Brazos Cliffs.

You should definitely plan weekend trips to Hueco, Flagstaff, Enchanted Tower, Joe's/Triassic, Indian Creek, etc.

I have family in the FarmPit area, so I'll look you up if I'm around and if you want to be in the loop for Pondo/etc PM me.

action

Apr 3, 2006, 1:45 AM
Post #8 of 10 (5580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for all the info everybody...i'll pm a coulple of you guys and we can hook up once i get moved in and settled.
jackson

rockandicegirl

Apr 3, 2006, 5:16 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
Welcome to the area! Not a three-star local climbing area, but you will be close to some 4-star areas: Ouray for limestome sport, Indian Creek for awesome long sandstone splitter cracks (my favorite!), and Moab area for desert towers. All are 2-3 hours away from Farmington. I have some availability in April/May, so send me an email to hook up.

4corners

Apr 7, 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #10 of 10 (5580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anybody climbing moderates? Looking for partners and am climbing Tuesdays or Thursdays (cleaned off the dirt a few years back and got a job).

Living in Cortez. Welcome to the area Lycra!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook