RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

inkblotrobot

Mar 27, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

when climbing,my hands sweat like a nervous terrorist
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there any chalk consistency that can be used for one whose hands get so wet that they slip off holds? Or any other solutions?

vector

Mar 27, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Re: when climbing,my hands sweat like a nervous terrorist [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As another that struggles with the sweaty palm affliction, here are some things that help, roughly in order of effectiveness for me:

- Stay uber well hydrated. If I am going to climb at the gym after work, I make sure I am drinking plenty of water during the day--two liters at a minimum for me. If you are climbing all day, start hydrating as soon as you wake up.
- No caffeine. Not only does it act as a diuretic for me, it makes me sweat like a prostitute in church on a Sunday morning.
- Try loose chalk instead of the chalk balls if you are not already. It is messy and annoys people, but the chalk sock things don't work for me at all.
- When I first started climbing I tried a antiperspirant lotion product sold for use in racket sports. It helped somewhat.

YMMV, good luck. It will probably get better over the years as well.

Partner jammer

Mar 27, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Practice breathing properly. It will assist you in relaxing more.

leapinlizard

Mar 27, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have a couple options. One: Use more of the loose chalk (as posted earlier) Two: About 6 months ago there was an article in climbing magazine about a man that got surgery done to block the sweat glands in his hands, because he had the same problem as you. I don't recall the issue #, but he seemed to be happy with his decision. While is is kind of extreme, it might be what you are looking for.

stonefoxgirl

Mar 27, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I rewrote this elleventy five hundred times and RC is being stupid so here are just the facts.
I use Metolius Super Chalk. It's great. Some don't like it because it is too dry.
mountaingear.com has 2.5 lbs of it for $14!!!!!!! Get it while it's hot!!!!!

stonefoxgirl

Mar 27, 2006, 5:34 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want a chalk that wil really keep your hands dry and is super absorbant I would suggest Metolius Super Chalk. I haven't found anything that can dry better than that stuff. I swear by it.
On a side note, different parts of the body sweat under different circumstances. Hands sweating is usually a sign of nervousness or something like anxiety. Which usually means you are doing something outside of your comfort zone. My question is this. How long have you been climbing? When I started, I had the same problem my hands would sweat like crazy! I could be bouldering or climbing on a rope didn't matter. But the more I felt comfortable making moves and taking chances, getting used to being up in the air in a harness attached to a rope, having a good spotter or belayer, etc. The less my hards would sweat. Hope this helps!
And seriously, the chalk is great!
mountaingear.com has 2.5 lbs of it for $14!!!!!!!

stonefoxgirl

Mar 27, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want a chalk that will really keep your hands dry and is super absorbant I would suggest Metolius Super Chalk. I haven't found anything that can dry better than that stuff. I swear by it.
On a side note, different parts of the body sweat under different circumstances. Hands sweating is usually a sign of nervousness or something like anxiety. (Which usually means you are doing something outside of your comfort zone). Question? How long have you been climbing? This could be the cause of your sweaty hands! When I started, I had the same problem and my hands would sweat like crazy! I could be bouldering or climbing on a rope didn't matter. As I felt more comfortable making moves and taking chances, getting used to being up in the air in a harness attached to a rope, having a good spotter or belayer, etc. the less my hands would sweat. Hope this helps!
And seriously, the chalk is great!
mountaingear.com has 2.5 lbs of it for $14!!!!!!!

viperziz

Mar 28, 2006, 6:44 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no expert however I have heard of a condition called hyperhydrosis, which is basically, over sweating. Many people have this condition and more often than not it can be treated with prescription antiperspirants. I guess you have to ask yourself is the sweat only on your palms or do you perspire allot in general? If it's bothersome to the point of not allowing you to lead a "normal" life you might want to get the opinion of a medical professional. Just a suggestion. Ever try ice climbing? Good Luck!
:wink:

arrowhead

Mar 28, 2006, 7:19 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah it's called hyperhydrosis. I know of at least 5 other climbers who suffer the same condition, myself included, and it's a b*tch when climbing!

My only solution so far, is to chalk up, a lot. In a way, I find that it helps the climbing because you are FORCED into taking rest positions during a climb, which can help you to improve your techniques coz you gotta use more balance and feet than pure arm strength.

rocketsocks

Mar 28, 2006, 8:30 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My hands sweat a lot while climbing sometimes, especially when I'm anxious or, of course, warm. Though I don't have hyperhydrosis, thankfully. I use an unscented roll-on antiperspirant on my hands a couple minutes before climbing and Metolius superchalk. It works fairly well, though the antipersperant won't last as long as it would on your underarms (since you're rubbing your hands on holds and wearing it off).

I would recommend against spray-on antiperspirants though. The one unscented kind I found, Sure (I think), was seriously noxious during application.

lenny7247

Mar 28, 2006, 8:10 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have bought liquid chalk before and that seems to do the trick.

sspssp

Mar 28, 2006, 8:36 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For sport climbing it doesn't help, but one of the main reasons I tape my hands for trad climbing is because my skin sweats so much. It doesn't help the palms, but at least for the back of my hands, the [dry] tape is making contact with the rock instead of my [wet] skin. I even completely tape my fingers so that tape is making contact with the rock instead of skin in finger cracks (you have to be careful how you wrap the tape to do this).

For sport/face, the metoilus superchalk is probably your best bet.

krusher4

Mar 28, 2006, 8:47 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can make your own liquid chalk. Put some loose chalk in a Zip-lock bag dump in rubbing alcohol until you get the consistency you want and FIN.

adeptus

Mar 28, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Antihydral is a lotion that will keep your hands dry for days. You should try that.

powpierre

Mar 28, 2006, 9:34 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the same problem and started using Tite grip which you can buy at cutmelon.com. It is a liquid chalk with an antiperspirant in it. It really works for me.

inkblotrobot

Mar 31, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info ladies and gents ....all well noted

hostilesbsco

Apr 5, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I perspire a ton when doing just about everything. Infact, my palms sweat when I look at the pictures section of this site and see the mammoth climbs... it hasnt stoped me from enjoying the sport at all.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook