RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

aggiejon

Apr 10, 2006, 5:00 AM
Post #1 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

What ebay has to say about climbing gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This may be a repost, i did a search and didn't find it.
http://pages.ebay.com/buy/guides/climbing-buying-guide/?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:30105:SEARCH:1

Identify Your Needs: Types of Climbing

Before you begin shopping, it’s helpful to have an overview of the different types of climbing. The climbing environment will largely determine what equipment you’ll need. Here’s a rundown of climbing types and the necessary gear.

Indoor climbing
If you’re thinking of taking up climbing, indoor climbing is a great way to get started. You’ll scale artificial climbing walls in a controlled environment, which will help you focus on your climbing technique. For more seasoned climbers, indoor climbing facilities offer a close and convenient place to maintain and improve their skills.

Most indoor climbing gyms provide the necessary hardware (harnesses, belay devices, and so on) and rent equipment, such as helmets and climbing shoes. Of course, if you’re a frequent climber, you may want to purchase and bring your own equipment.

Bouldering (boulder climbing)
An increasingly popular climbing option, bouldering consists of climbing on small boulders and rocks without the use of a rope. This is another good choice for beginners, because boulders aren’t that far off the ground.

One reason for the popularity of bouldering is that it requires minimal equipment. When you head out to the rocks, don’t forget climbing shoes, climbing holds, chalk and chalk bag, a crash pad (or bouldering mat), and a climbing helmet.

Sport climbing
Like bouldering, sport climbing is among the fastest growing segments of climbing. Climbers make use of anchors and bolts that have been permanently embedded in the rock. Basic sport climbing equipment includes climbing shoes, climbing rope, a climbing harness, a rope bag, chalk and chalk bag, and a climbing helmet.

Traditional climbing
This is where ropes and more equipment come into play, allowing you to scale larger formations (crags, peaks, etc.). In traditional climbing, climbers use removable protection devices as they climb—that is, they insert devices into cracks and crevices and use rope to ascend higher and higher.

When you go on a traditional climb, the list of equipment starts to include some more advanced gear. You’ll need climbing shoes, climbing rope, a climbing harness, protection devices such as cams and nuts, carabiners, belay devices, a climbing helmet, and a climbing bag.

Ice climbing
For the truly adventuresome, ice climbing involves scaling ice formations, such as frozen waterfalls and glaciers.

Of all the climbing categories, ice climbing requires the most specialized equipment, including: mountaineering boots or ice climbing boots (Scarpa, La Sportiva, and Koflach are among the established brands), ice crampons, climbing rope (specifically dry rope, which is treated with a water-repellant coating), warm winter clothing, ice climbing tools and climbing axes, ice pitons, ice screws, a climbing harness, carabiners, belay devices, a climbing helmet, and a climbing bag.

Like any other sport, specialized climbing equipment and climbing apparel are extremely important. Prominent climbing brands that you’ll encounter while shopping include Black Diamond, Petzl, and Metolius.

Climbing bags: You’ll need a climbing bag to carry all your equipment. Chalk bags hold rock climbing chalk, which is frequently used by both rock and indoor climbers. They’re usually clipped onto a harness for easy access.
Belay devices: A belay device controls a rope’s movement. Used for ascending and descending, it acts as a brake by applying friction.
Cams: You insert spring loading camming devices (or cams) into the cracks or pockets of a rock. A cam, such as the Black Diamond Camalot or Alien CCH, actually consists of two, three, or four cams, which are mounted on an axle. Once this protection device is inserted, you pull the axle; the cams are then spread farther apart and lock into place.
Carabiners: Rope runs through these metal loops that have spring-loaded gates. Carabiners are connectors: they attach rope to a fixed anchor, such as a cam or nut. Quickdraws consist of two carabiners connected by a short loop of webbing.
Climbing holds: Climbing holds attach directly to a climbing surface, providing a better grip.
Climbing apparel: Climbing apparel options run the gamut from shorts with pockets designed specially for climbing gear to an array of shirts, pants, gloves, and sunglasses.
Climbing footwear: Climbing shoes from companies such as Scarpa, Five Ten, and La Sportiva are a must for any type of climbing. The stiff rubber soles on climbing shoes offer the support and traction you’ll need.
Harnesses: This is what links you to your climbing rope. Harnesses fit around your waist and legs, offering support and safety. Black Diamond and Petzl both manufacture harnesses of different sizes and shapes.
Helmets: Don’t overlook the importance of a helmet. Helmets offer protection not only if you fall but from falling objects as well.
Nuts: Another protection device that you insert into the cracks of a rock, nuts consist of small metal wedges that are threaded on a wire.
Climbing rope: Available in different lengths, strengths, and diameters, climbing rope generally comes in two types: single rope or double rope (also called half rope). You can also purchase rappelling rope, rope bags, cords, and slings.

Harnesses and climbing shoes rank as two of the most important pieces of climbing equipment you’ll buy. They need to be sized properly to ensure that your climbing experience is not only comfortable but also safe and secure.

Harness your climbing potential
A climbing harness should adhere to the shape of your body. Accordingly, they come in different sizes (extra small, small, medium, large, extra large) and are suited for specific body types.

When it comes to sizing, the two most important considerations are the fit of the waist belt and the fit of the leg loops. The waist belt should sit right above your hip bones. It should be snug enough that it can’t be pulled down over your hips. Likewise, leg loops need to fit snugly.

Exact sizes will depend on the manufacturer (different brands will fit differently), but a medium Black Diamond harness, for example, has a waist size of 30 to 33 inches, and a thigh size of 21 to 23 inches.

If you are a woman, you’ll want to purchase a women’s climbing harness, which is designed specifically for a woman’s body. Children’s climbing harnesses are also available. If you’re interested in a harness for ice climbing, be sure that you choose a harness that will fit you when wearing heavy winter clothing.

In addition, special climbing harnesses are made for specific climbing activities, including: multipurpose, alpine, and big wall.

Climbing shoes
Climbing shoes and climbing slippers do more than protect your feet—they also serve as a valuable climbing aid, allowing you to better secure your feet on a rock’s surface and ensure maximum precision and sensitivity.

Like your climbing harness, shoes should fit well. A snug fit is conducive to better and more precise footwork as you climb. Just make sure that a shoe doesn’t fit too tightly—you don’t want to be in pain!

Your climbing shoe size and your street shoe size won’t necessarily be the same. Shoe companies use different measurement standards (U.S., U.K., European). It’s best to familiarize yourself with a brand that you like, and then get to know that company’s sizing system.

A word about stretching: unlined leather climbing shoes will stretch about a half an inch with wear, while lined leather and synthetic shoes will remain closer to the size at purchase.

porcelainsunset

Apr 10, 2006, 5:16 AM
Post #2 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Re: What ebay has to say about climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: I don't know where to start about ranting about where they went wrong. Who the hell dose Ebay hire to write that stuff.

lizard0fthetrail

Apr 10, 2006, 5:32 AM
Post #3 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as explaining the terms to those who would actually need to read them, these are not as bad descriptions as you're making out. This is not a list of instructions on how to use the specified gear, nor are they schematics of any of the mentioned items. I see no problem and actually give ebay some acknowledgement for even having this at all.

tonloc

Apr 10, 2006, 6:28 AM
Post #4 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree, not too bad a job by ebay, if you want to see some funny stuff on ebay, look at some of the stuff sold there and the seller's descriptions of items, those can be erronious and hillarious...there are some pretty funny threads on RC.com about it if you want to check them out...

overlord

Apr 10, 2006, 7:10 AM
Post #5 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you consder other such articles about climbing (like that horrible one from a "lifestyle avisor" or something a year or so ago), this one is actually pretty good.

qwert

Apr 10, 2006, 9:26 AM
Post #6 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
An increasingly popular climbing option, bouldering consists of climbing on small boulders and rocks without the use of a rope. This is another good choice for beginners, because boulders aren’t that far off the ground.

One reason for the popularity of bouldering is that it requires minimal equipment. When you head out to the rocks, don’t forget climbing shoes, climbing holds, chalk and chalk bag, a crash pad (or bouldering mat), and a climbing helmet.
:shock:
Damit. no wonder that i suck at these hard boulders out in the woods. i always forgot to bring my holds, to make them climbable.

but apart from this, it htink its a pretty decent overview on the subject.

qwert

keithlester
Deleted

Apr 10, 2006, 1:25 PM
Post #7 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They forgot Aid climbing, and God forbid, they also forgot free soloing. It was probably done as an exercise in getting people to be more eager to part with their hard-earned moolah, and it probably hasn't worked.

Partner j_ung

Apr 10, 2006, 1:50 PM
Post #8 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do they say about nuclear power plant construction?

porcelainsunset

Apr 14, 2006, 6:49 AM
Post #9 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What do they say about nuclear power plant construction?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well said!!

But yeah, you guys are right. Point taken. They didnt f*** it up that bad. But they still screwed it up in alot of places.

builttospill

Apr 14, 2006, 9:09 AM
Post #10 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll try to fix that if I can remember to. It's not THAT bad, but clearly no climber wrote it. I don't know why they don't ask aruond in the office to see if someone knows something about a damn subject.

But then I'm not a "writer" so why would they ask me? Just a dumbass poli sci major. :wink:

mattyp

Apr 14, 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #11 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I liked their description of Trad as "using the rope to ascend higher and higher". I think that is how they put it.

markc

Apr 14, 2006, 1:19 PM
Post #12 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

:shock:
Damit. no wonder that i suck at these hard boulders out in the woods. i always forgot to bring my holds, to make them climbable.

but apart from this, i think it's a pretty decent overview on the subject.

That was the part that amused me the most. Kids, please leave your climbing holds at home when you come outside! You also don't see many boulderers with helmets. Better safe (and sold) than sorry?

In the trad section, it reads, "This is where ropes and more equipment come into play..." Just before that, the article discusses sport climbing, and the need for a rope. That's just bad writing and editing. Maybe not surprisingly, they never mention quickdraws in the sport section.

builttospill

Apr 22, 2006, 3:26 AM
Post #13 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I'm not sure I should bump this, but it turns out that the descriptions for buying guides are actually written mostly by members. Anyone can submit a guide, and they will be reviewed (mostly for offensive/obviously wrong information I think) and then put on the site. I haven't submitted one yet for the climbing guide, and someone else can probably do a better job, so maybe someone here wants to write one quickly?

Go to the link provided and towards the upper right there is a link that says "Write a guide" and it will ask you to log in and then you can write it.

No idea on turnaround time though. Probably not super fast, but we'll see.

Post up (or PM me) if you submit one within the next couple of days, otherwise I'll write one myself. I may revise some of the other guides on the site, for kayaking and other things I know a bit about.

lenny7247

Apr 22, 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #14 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, I'm not sure I should bump this, but it turns out that the descriptions for buying guides are actually written mostly by members. Anyone can submit a guide, and they will be reviewed (mostly for offensive/obviously wrong information I think) and then put on the site. I haven't submitted one yet for the climbing guide, and someone else can probably do a better job, so maybe someone here wants to write one quickly?

Go to the link provided and towards the upper right there is a link that says "Write a guide" and it will ask you to log in and then you can write it.

Post up (or PM me) if you submit one within the next couple of days, otherwise I'll write one myself. I may revise some of the other guides on the site, for kayaking and other things I know a bit about.

Good luck with that dont get it to wrong :wink:

rhythm164

Apr 22, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #15 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very insightful... :roll:

builttospill

Apr 23, 2006, 5:54 AM
Post #16 of 16 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Good luck with that dont get it to wrong :wink:

I'm not sure if I like the pressure of having people on this site know it was me who wrote it (if and when I manage to do it).

"OMG he totally said trad draws! What an idiot" Maybe I'll include references to ham sandwiches and red bull-drinking boulderers.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook