Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

brokenankle

Apr 7, 2006, 6:51 PM
Post #1 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Flyin Brian Resoles blew it on my chacos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone else had a problem resoling chacos? I recently sent off my climbing shoes and my chaco sandals to get resoled by Flyin Brian. I will say that their service was fast and the rubber looks great; but it appears that they glued down the straps on my chacos making them no longer adjustable. After several unreturned phone calls, Im getting annoyed by this lack of service.

Has anyone else encountered this problem resoling chacos, tevas, etc?

Partner devkrev

Apr 7, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #2 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Re: Flyin Brian Resoles blew it on my chacos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't Chaco resole chacos?

dev

sierramike

Apr 9, 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #3 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, he choked on two pair of my shoes. When I questioned his workmanship, he was rude and obnoxious. Now I definitely go elsewhere.

weschrist

Apr 9, 2006, 7:12 PM
Post #4 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

finding a good resole is nearly impossible and for an extra $40 you can usually get a new pair of shoes that will work better than the resoles.

climbingbetty22

Apr 9, 2006, 8:06 PM
Post #5 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I resently sent my Chacos back for a resole. So far I am very impressed. I sent then back to Chaco directly. Once they received them at the factory, I received a call from them, suggesting a more durable sole given how badly worn mine were, as well as confirming what I wished to have done to them (had the heel strap replaced). I was impressed that they took the time to call me. I haven't had any problems with since I got them. It's practically like having brand new shoes, with the exception being that footbeds are totally broken in to my foot. The turn around time was pretty quick too. I would definitely recommend sending Chacos back to Chaco for resoling.

charley

Apr 9, 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #6 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yep, he choked on two pair of my shoes. When I questioned his workmanship, he was rude and obnoxious. Now I definitely go elsewhere.

Nice to know this.

styndall

Apr 9, 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #7 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
finding a good resole is nearly impossible and for an extra $40 you can usually get a new pair of shoes that will work better than the resoles.

Yosemite Bum actually did some amazing work on three pairs of rock shoes I sent them last November. The shoes came back looking new, but they were still broken in just how I like 'em.

rhythm164

Apr 10, 2006, 1:19 AM
Post #8 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

speaking of the soles of Chacos, does anyone know how their Stealth soles hold up in comparison to the standard vibram? BTW, thanks for the info about Flyin' Brian's customer service, i was thinking about sending my old Katanas in, I'll look elsewhere now...

toejam

Apr 10, 2006, 1:42 AM
Post #9 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed on YosemiteBum. Their craftmanship is always good, with attention to detail. I had a problem once where a couple pairs were too loose after the resole (probably overkill trying not to shrink them). I sent an email about it, not really thinking anything would come of it. They re-resoled them for free, even offering to pay the shipment both ways, and turned it around in a few days. Wouldn't even think of going anywhere else anymore.

meesier42

Apr 10, 2006, 1:50 AM
Post #10 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

got mine done by Positive resoles in J tree
http://www.positiveresoles.com/
quick, they got them back to me in 10 days, and that includes 5-6 days of shipping and a weekend. They even reglued the rand where is was coming loose. Very happy overall. But I guess it too late for you.

mtnfr34k

Apr 10, 2006, 6:53 AM
Post #11 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What kind of jacked logic is that. "Its too much trouble, so just buy a new pair." Weak.

On the other hand, you could send your shoes to the Rubber Room in Bishop, CA or to Ramuta Resoles in Seattle, WA. I've been getting shoes resoled from the Rubber Room (or Wilson's before the move) since 1996 with great service and quality work. But this winter I let my girlfriend convince me to try out Ramuta's and save the shipping. His work was every bit as good as the Rubber Room. From now on I'll use either store depending on where I am.

billcoe_

Apr 10, 2006, 6:41 PM
Post #12 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Agreed on YosemiteBum. Their craftmanship is always good, with attention to detail. I had a problem once where a couple pairs were too loose after the resole (probably overkill trying not to shrink them). I sent an email about it, not really thinking anything would come of it. They re-resoled them for free, even offering to pay the shipment both ways, and turned it around in a few days. Wouldn't even think of going anywhere else anymore.

I was forced to use Yosemite bum when my local resoler looked at a pair of 5.10s and said they were unresolable as the existing rubber had aged and hardened.

I'd never heard that previously, and so I sent them off to the bum with another pair that was just going toast.

Happy customer here. I've had them a while now, I've been using them in the gym and stuffing my taped right foot in there, even with the additional size I'm stuffing in that shoe, they are still holding together well. I figured, based on what the local dude said, that they'd fall apart fairly soon. (I would not have layed that issue at the Bums feet either, since I'd been warned, I just couldn't toss them in the trash).

The Bum is a prince.

bandycoot

Apr 10, 2006, 8:19 PM
Post #13 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experience, Yosemite Bum does the best resole out there. In addition, their customer service is better than anywhere else I've ever done business. I highly recommend them. I've only had one problem over the years, and that was when my shoes were resoled with a bad batch of rubber. YB contacted me about the problem by the time I had even figured it out and I had them resoled again for free. Other than that, I've had or seen at least 20 resoles by them and they are always consistently great.

http://www.yosemitebum.com/

Josh

vulgarian

Apr 10, 2006, 8:26 PM
Post #14 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rubberroomresoles.com/

The best I've found. I send my shoes there all the time and have never had a problem.

Partner devkrev

Apr 10, 2006, 9:52 PM
Post #15 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Its also a matter of waste. I like to make less garbage if I can. Not because its better for the Earth either, I just do it to pick up women :D

dev

fernregan

Apr 10, 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #16 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Positive Resoles out of Joshua Tree are the only guys I'll trust with my rubber. www.positiveresoles.com

weschrist

Apr 11, 2006, 2:07 AM
Post #17 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What kind of jacked logic is that. "Its too much trouble, so just buy a new pair." Weak.

Get a real job you bum.

Seriously, unless your technique sucks ass the leather gets too nasty and stiff before the rubber wears out anyway.

mtnfr34k

Apr 15, 2006, 5:32 PM
Post #18 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Get a real job you bum.

Seriously, unless your technique sucks ass the leather gets too nasty and stiff before the rubber wears out anyway.

Wes,

I kind of like the job I have. I get to travel, climb, and still pay the bills.

But I did experience - for the first time - running through a pair of shoes in four weeks of climbing in El Potrero this January. The locals and guides warned me that the stock rubber in the 5.10 Anasazi slippers would go fast, but I was still surprised when it actually happened. But you're right, my technique probably sucks ass! :lol:

contactclimbing

Apr 15, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #19 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had Miuras and Venoms both resoled by Flyin' and he did a killer job. My buddy sent him two pairs as well, and the work was killer!

flynbrianresoles

Jun 18, 2006, 7:57 AM
Post #20 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brokenankle,
it is true that it took me a couple of calls to get back to you. i apologized for that when i did return your call due to being so busy.

i also apologized to you in the message i left about not being able to adjust the straps on your new chaco resoles. chaco is the only place that can glue the sole down without gluing the straps down.

i was sincere and apologetic in my message. you were invited to call me back but i did tell you that i could not adjust the straps. i stated that most customers have the straps and adjustment where they need to be by the time the resole is done. i also stated my intent to add this to my website and inform every chaco owner that comes to me in the future of this problem.

i do my best to please my customers with a good quality service. seeing this "negative feedback" proves once again that you can't please everyone!
that doesn't mean we aren't trying!

the_iceman

Jun 18, 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #21 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apologies are nice and all, but how did you offer to make it right? Did you offer at least a partial refund? It's your responsability to make sure the customer knows that you will be rendering his shoes, unadjustable with your particular method of resoling. Had you posted the information and he'd failed to read it, that would be a little more reasonable. But after reading your post which had the overtone of "Not my fault, said I was sorry, I'm very busy, Can't please everybody, but thanks for your cash." I will not think twice about allowing Flyin by Night Brian touch my shoes when it comes time for a re-sole.

jimo

Jun 18, 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #22 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow- ever notice how arrogant climbers are. Bashing a guy on a website takes big balls...

the_iceman

Jun 18, 2006, 2:03 PM
Post #23 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see anything arrogant about this thread. Somebody got some bad customer service, asked if this was the norm, some people agreed, some people disagreed. The the man of the hour came along and blew away all benefit of the doubt. The guy pretty effectively ruined his customer's shoes, excuses his bad customer service with an 'I'm a very busy person' and then pretty much blames the destruction of the shoe on the customer... Talk about arrogance... 'Well, we tried it'

I'll tell the guy on the phone that I think that's shit service if he want's to talk to me. I've told freinds and non-friends alike when their service sucks, at least then they can think about doing something about it.

danutter

Jun 20, 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #24 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here comes the obligatory flame...

Hey Iceman, you have no idea how Brian was trying to "make it right." You never returned his call. Let's see...listen to ice-puke, who has been on rock for...6 months, or Brian, who's more of a climber than you could ever hope to be, doesn't have the REI-induced "these-shoes-are-worn-out-they-must-suck-it-can't-be-me-I-want-my-money-back" attitude" and isn't a whiny bastard at that.

Every one of the dozen or so pairs of shoes Brian's resoled for me have been perfect.

builttospill

Jun 21, 2006, 4:14 AM
Post #25 of 29 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edited for the following reason: Had a pretty solid rant going against the_iceman and then realized what a hypocrite I was, asking him why he cared so much about the REI thing and to "let it go" and then here I was attacking someone on a message board.

Whatever, not my place.

Carry on....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook