Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

curtis_g

Apr 13, 2006, 2:41 AM
Post #51 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Re: cheap foods [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is one of the most helpful threads I have read to date on RC.com
i love it.

my favorite is some grade 'poor' dirt cheap groundbeef set ontop of raw potato slices in tin foil, everything smothered with ketchup, rolled up and tossed into a fire for 15 minutes. spice and eat. cut the tots THIN.

Partner phaedrus

Apr 13, 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #52 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mac & cheese with a can of tuna tossed in rocks... high in protein, carbs, and decently tasty. If you can get your hands on fresh peas, those are a great addition as well... instant tuna noodle casserole. :)

Partner csgambill

Apr 13, 2006, 5:43 PM
Post #53 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here you go guys. You can't forget the classic Potted Meat Food Product Some friends and I discovered this wonderful $0.54/can (pot) amalgamation of animal slurry back in college.

http://www.shipbrook.com/...graphics/potted1.jpg

Check out this page. It'll get a laugh.

http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/potted.html

And the ingredients:

http://www.shipbrook.com/...graphics/potted2.jpg

Partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue really gets my motor hummin'!!

curtis_g

Apr 13, 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #54 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here you go guys. You can't forget the classic Potted Meat Food Product Some friends and I discovered this wonderful $0.54/can (pot) amalgamation of animal slurry back in college.

http://www.shipbrook.com/...graphics/potted1.jpg

Check out this page. It'll get a laugh.

http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/potted.html

And the ingredients:

http://www.shipbrook.com/...graphics/potted2.jpg

Partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue really gets my motor hummin'!!

whats that small print bottom left?

not for women who may be pregnant or persons with a history of heart complications?
made with products found by the state of California to cause cancer?

haha, yikes: 80mg cholesterol in 120 calories and 85g of product.
sounds tasty but a full serving might kill you!

sidepull

Apr 13, 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #55 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I once heard a story about a climber who used to buy two cases of canned cat food to live for the summer. Claimed it tasted just like tuna, with enough mustard.

Chouinard.

Meow.

really?

sausalito

Apr 14, 2006, 2:25 AM
Post #56 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this may come off as nasty but here are some tips I use even when I am in town:

1) bakeries, especially bagel or pretzl places in the mall, throw out a ton of stuff almost every day. Once a week I get a full garbage bag of pretzls from a mall near me just because I am willing to wait by the dumpster. They are hard but they soften really easily. Grocery stores throw out loaves of bread with one piece of mold on it.

2) nice restaraunts. Three nights ago I got a whole pork chop and two almost whole steaks out of the garbage behind a fine dining restaraunt. You can kill the bacteria on the surface by simply reheating the outside of the meat.

the amount of food that is wasted is amazing. I was never comfortable as a dumpster diver until I took several microbiology courses and realized that if I was smart about what I chose and I took measures to clean the food I was just as safe as eating food from a restaraunt.....

tips....
dont eat food that is in a bag with anything other than food. at bakeries the bread or bagels or whatever will all be in one big bag. This bag is good. Its the unsold items. Dont eat stuff if there is regular trash mixed in unless the food you are after is individually wrapped like bread. Be smart and be your own judge but my wife and I eat well and we save some flow doing it.... there are web resources on the subject but I just say use your own head.

curtis_g

Apr 14, 2006, 4:07 AM
Post #57 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this may come off as nasty but here are some tips I use even when I am in town:

1) bakeries, especially bagel or pretzl places in the mall, throw out a ton of stuff almost every day. Once a week I get a full garbage bag of pretzls from a mall near me just because I am willing to wait by the dumpster. They are hard but they soften really easily. Grocery stores throw out loaves of bread with one piece of mold on it.

2) nice restaraunts. Three nights ago I got a whole pork chop and two almost whole steaks out of the garbage behind a fine dining restaraunt. You can kill the bacteria on the surface by simply reheating the outside of the meat.

the amount of food that is wasted is amazing. I was never comfortable as a dumpster diver until I took several microbiology courses and realized that if I was smart about what I chose and I took measures to clean the food I was just as safe as eating food from a restaraunt.....

tips....
dont eat food that is in a bag with anything other than food. at bakeries the bread or bagels or whatever will all be in one big bag. This bag is good. Its the unsold items. Dont eat stuff if there is regular trash mixed in unless the food you are after is individually wrapped like bread. Be smart and be your own judge but my wife and I eat well and we save some flow doing it.... there are web resources on the subject but I just say use your own head.

awesome. keep-it real man. that's like how my brother never buys clothes anymore. thrift shops throw out hundreds of pants and shirts every month and there's still all the teen kids paying $20 for that SWEET Hollister shirt at the mall. I can't stand how much we waste as a 'civilized' society. Rock on.

rockguide

Apr 14, 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #58 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Canned food outlet in Yucca Valley.

annak

Apr 14, 2006, 5:04 AM
Post #59 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading through this thread made me thick. And it was not the trash bin advice, that was perfectly reasonable. People, do you really eat all this junk????

porcelainsunset

Apr 14, 2006, 7:32 AM
Post #60 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget yer taters,

You can mash em, smash em, stick em in a stew. Nice golden chips.

YOU KEEP NASTY CHIPS!

God I love scene.

porcelainsunset

Apr 14, 2006, 7:37 AM
Post #61 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget yer taters,

You can mash em, smash em, stick em in a stew. Nice golden chips.

YOU KEEP NASTY CHIPS!

God I love that scene.

mattyp

Apr 14, 2006, 12:54 PM
Post #62 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My personal favorite is the snickers/roll combo
You get a snickers bar(44 cents at Walmart) and a bread roll, or even two if you are really hungry(like 10 cents a piece, I mean the brotchen European style, NOT the dinky American dinner rolls)
Take a small bite of snickers and a big bite of roll. Chew it up and the roll magical turns into more snickers in your mouth. Repeat until you run out of roll and snickers. Ideally you finish both at the same time.
This is the perfect meal. You get protein, carbs, and fats. All the food groups are covered, expect maybe the veggies, but you can eat a carrot if you want to. Enjoy!

*edited for a minor correction

veganboyjosh

Apr 14, 2006, 4:12 PM
Post #63 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All the food groups are covered, expect maybe the veggies, but you can eat a carrot if you want to. Enjoy!

peanuts are a vegetable.

curtis_g

Apr 14, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #64 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
All the food groups are covered, expect maybe the veggies, but you can eat a carrot if you want to. Enjoy!

peanuts are a vegetable.

peanuts are vegetables but I'm pretty sure that they do NOT fall under the vegetable food group. more spicifically, along with beans and peas, they are legumes and according to the USDA fall under a category containing meat, poultry, fish, beans, eggs and NUTS. so the vegetable "food group" is not represented, but veggies are. :roll: :D :)

Partner tyify

Apr 16, 2006, 2:14 PM
Post #65 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There a couple of staples of living cheap on the road that I've found. I'll sort them into categories.

Main Foods
Eggs: Cheap as all hell (less than 10 cents apiece) lots of variety (fried, boiled, scrambled..etc). They also make for great filler for ramen and like the like. Boil up your ramen like normal and drop an egg in. Adds some fat and protein to your diet.

Potatoes: These suckers are cheap and easy to make. Shred them and fry them up. Mix with eggs for good results. Easy to make good.
Add it to meat to stretch it out. Make awesome stews. Very easy to cook with if your on the road. If backpacking they are heavy and take a while to cook however.

Oatmeal: The mushy goo that fills you up good. This stuff will get sickening after a while so add variety with brown sugar and whatever else you can think of. Oatmeal is cheap so you can fill up very easily.

Canned Meats: Cheaper than their fresh counterparts and store without refrigeration. Chicken breast is a good cheap meal if you stretch it out with some pasta.

Pasta: Add this to basically everything you make. Cheap as all hell, easy to cook, and hard to make taste bad. When used in conjunction with potatoes is delicious. Meat+ Potatoes+ Pasta+ Vegetables

Veggies: Find cheap vegetables at farmers markets and locally. Supermarkets can have good veggies..although in my experience they spoil quicker. (I'm from AK however and there everything spoils quickly due to it having to be shipped there).

TVP: Texturized vegetable protein. Great for extending a real meat. Don't add to much or you will taste it for sure. But in small quantities is great. Adds required protein.

Ramen: Don't count out the ever cheap ramen. 16 cents per package! Buy in bulk at costco/sams club. Add stuff to it other than just the seasoning packet...you will get sick of plain ramen. Fast.

Bananas: Buy a lot of these suckers cause they fill you up and add vital nutrients. Don't eat to many however as potassium overdose is really really no fun. It interacts with many medicines and makes them release faster.

Seasonings
Do not count this part out! This is the most important part of your meal. Its what makes cheap food palatable.

Lemon Pepper: Adds a little taste to your food. Great on eggs.

Garlic Powder: Again adds taste to your food. Great in a soup. Great on eggs.

Ketchup: This will be a staple. You can cover up the taste of almost everything with ketchup. Great on eggs. Great on bad meat. Can be added to almost anything.

Salt/Pepper: Obvious other staples.

Conclusions to eating cheap
Eating cheap is easier than you think it would be. Look for sales! Buy a lot at a time at places like costco/sams. Stock up in big cities instead of little markets. Eat a daily multivitamin and watch your intakes of salt/fat/protein. Easy to overdo it on the first too and way under do it on the last one if your eating cheap.

Free Eating
Several methods for this...although most are past what people will do.

Go to a place that has ketchup packets and saltines for free. Deli's are good places for this. Mix the ketchup with water and then dip the saltines in it. Experiment to find the right consistency and mixture. Will feed you if your that desperate.

Dumpster diving behind supermarkets can be a good way to get past date produce. Most of which is still good. Watch for diseases and possible legal consequences on this one. Illegal in most places. Most supermarkets these days lock up their dumpsters.

Ravening
This involves going to a restaurant getting seated and then when others leave stealing the food they leave. This is not for the weak of heart as it can be slightly disgusting. The wait staff will kick you out if they see you doing this however so be sneaky. Leave before they take your order...if the waitress comes before you've ravened your food just tell her you need more time. Pilfer your food and leave before she/he comes again. Be ethical about this one...don't dirty their silverware or dishes. Don't be a pain in the ass. Raven your food and then leave without making a mess. This is a last resort and is probably illegal...so be careful. A better way to go about it is order coffee or something cheap like that then use their silverware and the like. At least then you've paid for your seat.

So in your quest for free/cheap food I suggest you use these methods. Karma is a bitch so don't steal.

Good luck guys! :D

Partner devkrev

Apr 16, 2006, 3:28 PM
Post #66 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget the dented cans at the back of the grocery store
Always a suprise, you never know what you are gonna get.
I live on the edge, and buy the ones where the label came of :P

dev

shanz

Apr 16, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #67 of 67 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Venison jerky(pound for pound the cheapest meat - also requires the most work), summer sausage, canned corn/peas(with a little garlic salt - doesnt even need to be heated) throw in some diced up summer sausage you got a meal -- also MRE's are very good just dont make MRE bombs inside your car while you are driving thats a bad thing!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook