Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

arrow

Apr 14, 2006, 1:32 PM
Post #1 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Meals under 300 calories
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well I've lost 30lbs this year and still want to lose more. I've been maintaining a 1000-1200 calorie day. I try to eat foods way low in fat but with protein and carbs. A few of my quickie meals are:
Eggbeaters (3 servings), two slices light toast with jam but no butter=290calories *Eggbeaters have lots of protein
Bagel with fat free cream cheese=310 calories
Instant oatmeal in a packet=165 calories
Clif Bar=250 calories
Most cans of soup around 200 calories

Would love to get some fresh ideas on meals under 300 calories that actually make you feel like you've eaten something.

Also I found a pretty cool website called www.sparkpeople.com I have no affiliation with this website but it's free to join and a great way to log your daily intake of calories,carbs,fat,protein,vitamins etc.

trebork2
Deleted

Apr 14, 2006, 1:43 PM
Post #2 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Re: Meals under 300 calories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Canned Tuna

iluvtoplayoutside

Apr 14, 2006, 1:55 PM
Post #3 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a bike racer for many years, trying to increase my power to weight ratio, I have lots of menu's...

I tended to, in my super serious racing days, eat lots of little meals and as many fruits and veggies as possible throughout the day.

Some of the 'best' low cal / most filling things I eat are:

rolled oats (not instant--rolled oats have more fiber) with rasins and cinnamon

Egg white omlets with various veggies or my recent favorite--a cut up apple with Cinnamon--sounds wierd but is really good and omlets can be really big with lots of bites/eating for the low calories they pack.

Bean Salads/Chili's

Big spinach salads with a can of tuna and salsa for dressing (salsa has very little calories) and or any other veggies with a low fat/cal dressing

Fat free popcorn

Yogurt with a scoop of whey protien with frozen berries or fresh if you can afford it...

These are just few of my staples as I have time for right now...

trebork2
Deleted

Apr 14, 2006, 1:57 PM
Post #4 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a really good website by the way. Thanks for posting that link up arrow

harmonydoc

Apr 14, 2006, 3:05 PM
Post #5 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use Boca burgers a lot - either like a regular hamburger on whole grain bread or you can crumble it into a salad. I love steel cut oats with some kind of fruit in the morning. Nonfat plain Greek yogurt (there's a brand called Fage) is good, low calorie and high protein. I agree with the "lots of little meals and many fruits and veggies" concept.

gogo

Apr 14, 2006, 3:58 PM
Post #6 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a lot of meals you can cook under 300 calories, but 1000-1200 calorie per day intake seems to be unhealthily low, especially if you are actively climbing and burning calories as well. . .

That being said, veggie stir-fry using fresh zucchini, edamame, red and green bell peppers, spinach, and tofu w/ vietnamese chili sauce,
and an almost infinite combination of breakfast cereals w/ fruit.

anykineclimb

Apr 14, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #7 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I try to eat foods way low in fat but with protein and carbs.

You DO know you need fat in your diet right? low fat is so 1980s ;)

If I have the time I'll try to find studies on increased fat diets.

cal_gundert05

Apr 14, 2006, 4:43 PM
Post #8 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and an almost infinite combination of breakfast cereals w/ fruit.

CEREAL, hell yeah! Cheerios has 110 calories /cup, and 2% milk has 140 cals / cup.

iluvtoplayoutside

Apr 14, 2006, 4:52 PM
Post #9 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow can you really only eat 1 cup of cereal??? I must have no self control compared to others; I have to really watch what I stock the house because I can easily eat 1/2 s box of cereal at once!

Fat is good--but the good kinds of fat from avacados and fish, olive oil, pine nuts....cheesburger and french fry kind of fat is not condusive of maintaining a lean body mass...any one with common sense knows that.

hoofers_andy

Apr 14, 2006, 4:54 PM
Post #10 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ummm, doesnt anything under 300 calories only count as a snack? i may have a skewed view of this since eat 3000+ cal per day and never gain weight, but 300 calories sure isn't much... as in only enough to bike 10 miles or do a steep 1.5 mile approach- hardly qualifies for a meal.

cal_gundert05

Apr 14, 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #11 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wow can you really only eat 1 cup of cereal???

Yes, about 1 every 3 or 4 hours. I usually eat a bowl before class (7:30), around noon, late afternoon (3 or 4), and have a deli sandwich around 8 or 9.
Dry Cheerios are very light in calories and sit in your stomach.

leezerdgirl

Apr 14, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #12 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second the idea that too few calories is bad for your body. You put yourself into starvation mode, your metabolism slows, your body tries to hang on to all the fat it can. I just saw a study the other day that suggests that going about 300 cal/day below what is recommended for your height/weight is the ideal weight loss window for avoiding metabolism slow-down.

Will try to find a reference.

A quick search turned up this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11992264/--which is not about that study, but it does have some info on why frozen meals under 300 calories can be a bad idea.

I think the key is to make sure most of your meals are really nutritious, and they'll naturally be low calorie. Some of my faves are steamed greens and cashews, marinated vegetable/bean salad, mixed green salad with some spiced tofu, stir-fry and brown rice, bean chili, bean and corn enchiladas, pb & banana on whole grain bread. For dessert, brown rice with some fruit and a little maple syrup, maybe some coconut flakes.

Oh, and for good low cal protein, try TVP (dehydrated soy protein granules). You can find it in bulk in lots of groceries--at least you can out here in CA--use it like ground beef in chili etc or season it with taco seasoning to eat it straight up, great for camping. I also like seitan, which is made with wheat protein and has a meaty texture. That one is more expensive, and you find it refrigerated or frozen in health food stores like Whole Foods. Best brand of seitan I've tried is Sweet Earth Grand Life Seitan.

thegreytradster

Apr 14, 2006, 7:00 PM
Post #13 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
rolled oats (not instant--rolled oats have more fiber)

Instant oats are rolled oats.

There is no difference.

Put Rolled oats in a blender an pulse for a few seconds and you have instant, instant oats.

rockscaler2

Apr 14, 2006, 7:22 PM
Post #14 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Big Macs its all about the Big Macs! lol!

felixthekraut

Apr 14, 2006, 7:56 PM
Post #15 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clif Builder's Bars.
20 grams of Protein, 270 calories (for the Cookie + Cream)

Taste too good to be true, provide great pre-workout energy, <300 calories.
http://www.clifbar.com/eat/eat.cfm?location=builders

crackboy

Apr 14, 2006, 9:20 PM
Post #16 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first off the OP is not saying 300 calories a day, its 300 calories a MEAL. if they eat 4-5 small meals a day thats 1500 or so calories a day perfectly acceptable.

when a body goes into 'starvation' mode the body doesn't try to hold fat. If that were the case anorexic models would be huge. Fat stores are there to supply fuel for energy when food sources are scarce. Thats why Pacific islanders and other seafarers cultures have a little more heft to them.

sspssp

Apr 14, 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #17 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Most cans of soup around 200 calories

Would love to get some fresh ideas on meals under 300 calories that actually make you feel like you've eaten something.

I cook up brown rice and add my cans of soup to that. I'm not exactly sure how much rice would correspond to another 100 calories, but brown rice digests slowly and it adds a lot more "fullness" feeling than what you get from a 200 calorie soup.

el_guapo

Apr 14, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #18 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sushi !

leezerdgirl

Apr 14, 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #19 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
first off the OP is not saying 300 calories a day, its 300 calories a MEAL. if they eat 4-5 small meals a day thats 1500 or so calories a day perfectly acceptable.

when a body goes into 'starvation' mode the body doesn't try to hold fat. If that were the case anorexic models would be huge. Fat stores are there to supply fuel for energy when food sources are scarce. Thats why Pacific islanders and other seafarers cultures have a little more heft to them.

I agree 1500 is probably fine depending on the person, but the OP said they're maintaining 1000-1200 calories / day.

Check out the quote below from Redbook on metabolism slow-down (full article link below). Redbook is so humdrum, you wouldn't see this if it were some crazy new theory. Or just google "low calorie metabolism".

http://magazines.ivillage.com/redbook/dh/diet/articles/0,,284479_577038-2,00.html

Don't overdo calorie cutting. Putting yourself on a very-low-calorie diet is a surefire way not to lose. "Your body is programmed to defend your usual weight," says Liz Applegate, Ph.D., professor of nutrition at the University of California at Davis and author of Bounce Your Body Beautiful. "So if you suddenly drop 1,000 calories from your diet, your resting metabolic rate [the number of calories your body burns to maintain basic bodily functions, such as breathing and heartbeat] will automatically slow down, because your body now assumes that you're starving."

So how many calories should you consume? Depending on your level of activity, you can safely lose anywhere from half a pound to two pounds a week if you multiply your current weight by 11, says Applegate. (For example, if you're 120 pounds, aim for around 1,320 calories a day.) Unless you're less than five feet tall, don't let your daily calories dip below 1,200. "Research shows that women who consume less than this amount see their resting metabolic rate plummet by as much as 45 percent," notes Dale Huff, R.D., a St. Louis nutritionist.

arrow

Apr 15, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #20 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

leezerdgirl there is truth in what you say. But the older you get the fewer calories you require. I'm in my 40's. Also I don't maintain that diet every single day. I occassionally have pizza and beer. So my weight loss program takes 3 steps forward and one step back. Simple calculations are a good guide but you have to find the magic number that works for you. Thanks to all for the replies.

iluvtoplayoutside

Apr 15, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #21 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

There is no difference.

Put Rolled oats in a blender an pulse for a few seconds and you have instant, instant oats.

Ok I'm not an conflict seeking type of person but I hate misinformation. American Corporate Media and Marketing has obtained their goals in making most Americans believe that processed foods are just as good for you as non-processed foods because they are based of some 'healthy' ingredient, and they especailly profit on the idea--which is a lie--that their so-called 'healthy' food is also so very fast foodish and takes little preperations-- which is just what the average consumer seems to want and buy into. Yeah its fast and esy to make but it is NOT as good for you as the 'real thing'. But consumers buy it. Go Team America!

So, I should have more percise in my definition of 'rolled' oats; I meant Steel Cut Oats, the kind you would get in Bulk at Whole Foods...I still believe the organic "Rolled" oats you have to cook longer shares similar value--because there has been a level of processing done so that one does not have to cook the instant stuff as long, somthing is missing. I'm sure there are very small differrences between the 'unprocessed rolled oat' and the 'instant oat' besides maybe 1 gram of fiber and I'm not saying the instant stuff in not 'bad' for you but there are nutritional differences--especially in the sugar content, and excessive sugar is not good for long term weight loss goals.

The initial poster asked for ideas of things that are more filling; I find the less processed type of oat to keep my belly feeling full for a longer time than processed cereals hence the input. The glycemic index factor of a sugary food vrs a non-sugary food also affects appetite and digestion rates.

Here is a link that details the nutritional differences between steel cut oats and a packet of instant oats--which clarifies nutritional variances between the processed vrs. unprocessed oat:

http://peaboy.net/blogs/pinkducati/archive/2005/08/10/3252.aspx

shanz

Apr 15, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #22 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Non Climbing days>>
breakfast - slimfast shake(for vitamins) with 3 eggs whites toast and 3 strips of bacon, black coffee-- around 500 calories

Lunch - fruit(apple, orange etc), Ham sammy(with 1 tbsp ranch)around -- 200 calories

dinner - protien shake, bannana, granola bar (300 calories)

Climbing days>>>
breakfast - gravy and buscuit(1cup), breakfast steak(3-5 oz), coffee, redbull around 600 calories

lunch(snacking in between climbs) -- granola bar, trail mix, red bull, around 500 calories

Dinner - sirloin, pasta of some type, veggies --around 600 calories

This is just a close estimate on a multiday camping/climbing trip
i also drink a ton of water, and use relacore... Relacore really helps beat the mid day fatigue. Ive also lost over 45 pounds using this and my strength and endurance has tripled. For non climbing days 300 calories 4-5 times a day is descent.. But on climbing days pumping up the calories is a must. Now if i could quit smoking ! :lol:

organic

Apr 15, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #23 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

There is no difference.

Ok I'm not an conflict seeking type of person but I hate misinformation. American Corporate Media and Marketing has obtained their goals in making most Americans believe that processed foods are just as good for you as non-processed foods because they are based of some 'healthy' ingredient, and they especailly profit on the idea--which is a lie--that their so-called 'healthy' food is also so very fast foodish and takes little preperations-- which is just what the average consumer seems to want and buy into. Yeah its fast and esy to make but it is NOT as good for you as the 'real thing'. But consumers buy it. Go Team America!

So, I should have more percise in my definition of 'rolled' oats; I meant Steel Cut Oats, the kind you would get in Bulk at Whole Foods...I still believe the organic "Rolled" oats you have to cook longer shares similar value--because there has been a level of processing done so that one does not have to cook the instant stuff as long, somthing is missing. I'm sure there are very small differrences between the 'unprocessed rolled oat' and the 'instant oat' besides maybe 1 gram of fiber and I'm not saying the instant stuff in not 'bad' for you but there are nutritional differences--especially in the sugar content, and excessive sugar is not good for long term weight loss goals.

The initial poster asked for ideas of things that are more filling; I find the less processed type of oat to keep my belly feeling full for a longer time than processed cereals hence the input. The glycemic index factor of a sugary food vrs a non-sugary food also affects appetite and digestion rates.

Here is a link that details the nutritional differences between steel cut oats and a packet of instant oats--which clarifies nutritional variances between the processed vrs. unprocessed oat:

http://peaboy.net/blogs/pinkducati/archive/2005/08/10/3252.aspx

Who would have guessed that you are from Colorado. If you are that concerned about the food you eat you need help. If you are that concerned about your health, why not take the time you would use researching the difference between rolled oats and non-rolled oats?!?!? and find a novel and effective cancer treatment cause thats what you are going to die from.

PS. keep blaming everything on coporate america, that gave you the computer you are typing on, and every ounce of food you eat. Unless of course you only eat from your outside personal garden that you water with irrigation canals from the nearest stream and tend with homemade tools, wearing clothes made from animal skin. Good read a book, maybe some Adam Smith or Ayn Rand and discover that capitilism despite some of its problems can probably also take the blame for 90-95% of all technological advances in the last century. I hate Hypocrites from Colorado.

Now to the OP:

Excercize is the answer. I have a roommate and though I eat a little less than him(though I drink way more beer) he weighs 300lbs and I weigh 155lbs. You can try and blame it on a fast metabolism but I workout at least once a day for an extended period of time(mostly climbing and hiking) and he sits on his butt and plays video games and watches TV. Instead of trying to eat 300 cal meals burn off 3000 calories a day by doing something you enjoy. Always wanted to climb 5.10 well then train for it. Always wanted to bench press 200lbs well then train for it. Enjoying physical activity is the key to keeping your body fit.

Lastly I would say some of my meals are more calories than you eat in an entire day...

PS. I second the big mac.

leezerdgirl

Apr 15, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #24 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrow, you're right, you have to find what works for you. I know you asked for ideas, not dieting advice...I'm just a worrywart about nutrition. Good luck and continued success to you!

napoleon_in_rags

Apr 15, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #25 of 37 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Excercize is the answer. I have a roommate and though I eat a little less than him(though I drink way more beer) he weighs 300lbs and I weigh 155lbs. You can try and blame it on a fast metabolism but I workout at least once a day for an extended period of time(mostly climbing and hiking) and he sits on his butt and plays video games and watches TV. Instead of trying to eat 300 cal meals burn off 3000 calories a day by doing something you enjoy. Always wanted to climb 5.10 well then train for it. Always wanted to bench press 200lbs well then train for it. Enjoying physical activity is the key to keeping your body fit.

Lastly I would say some of my meals are more calories than you eat in an entire day...

I totally agree. I do not think a 1200 calorie a day diet is healthy, especially if you are active. Of course I am not a dietician or anything. But I used to weigh about 240 pounds in high school and had a 38" waist. Now I weigh a very muscular 180 and have a 32" waist. The reason has nothing to do with diet but everything to do with exercise. I run or climb 6 days a week. Because of that, I don't worry about how many calories I eat, just if I am getting enough nutrients, vitamins, protein, fat, and carbs to keep me going and keeping me healthy. And I know I can lose more weight - If I go on an extended climbing trip where I am climbing or hiking every day I generally will lose another 10 pounds.

If all you do is climb, take up a good cardiovascular exercise to do in your off days. Even on your rest days I suggest do stretches or some light yoga/ calisthenics. Keep a workout journal to focus yourself. I agree that 5 or 6 small meals are better than three big ones but, if you feel hungry, eat. Don't limit yourself to an artificial number like 1200 calories per day.

And to the poster who is anti-corporate, I would suggest you stop shopping at Whole Foods. Whole foods is extremely competitive and have no remorse at putting small, locally owned, organic food stores out of business.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook