Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

redlegrangerone

Apr 16, 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #26 of 44 (4815 views)
Shortcut

Re: Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I like my Ecrin. His BD broke.

kman

Apr 16, 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #27 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ren has had 2 (I think it was 2) crack at the lip on his aswell. Once in baggage handling at the airport and once some where else. His were recent purchases.

I think perhaps they are having issues with the newer ones. I have one that's a few years old an I have mishandled it in many different ways. Even dropped it down a scree field. Not even a hint of cracking on that older one. I decided to replace it with a new one (because of the scree field thing) and it seems like the plastic is a little thinner than the old one. It also seems like they added more foam to it to make up for the thinner plastic. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me???

cal_gundert05

Apr 16, 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #28 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For what it's worth, it sounds like all these cracks are because the helmet's being squished (a lot or a little) from the sides.

rhythm164

Apr 17, 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #29 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently switched form the Ecrin to the Half Dome, and I havn't had any problem on ice or rock. I also have a friend whos had her BD for ages and it's still solid. I hear alot of people say it's doesn't fit them or it broke when they sat on it, ect, but I like it and have had no such problems.

lichenmuncher

Apr 17, 2006, 1:10 AM
Post #30 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:roll:

tradclmbr

Apr 17, 2006, 1:55 PM
Post #31 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The much bigger problem in my opinion is the fact that the rivets connecting the straps to the helmet WILL rust out over time. Its happened to me twice now (with BD and in talking with one of there reps its a problem they have not corrected).

I bought it at REI so return isnt an issue......and while I fully planned to switch brands because of this, trying on the others led me to conclude that Ive just gotten way to used to the BD HD fit and all others felt awkward (Petzl elios felt okay, but had a flimsyness to its feel I know I should trust, but just didnt like). Also I kicked the helmet of a 400' dome once and was shocked to see it at the bottom with no noticeable damage (so not sure about the cracking issue)

So Im on my third HD that Ill keep an eye on and replace when it rusts out. check your helmets folks, its not an area you look at ever day on your helmet so Im sure some of you will be surprised!

sspssp

Apr 17, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #32 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going to wear a helmet, I can understand wanting something you have confidence in, but there are newer helmets that are a lot lighter than the HD.

Shaving weight wherever I can...

mankypin

Apr 17, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #33 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've cracked two of the half dome's dead center in the front, friends have done the same. Anytime you crack the lid the structural integrity is compromised, shit-can it and buy another to protect your grey matter. You can be sure BD knows about the problem and could care less. If anyone gets a replacement helmet from BD it'll be a friggin miracle. Petzl seems to make a more durable helmet, never heard of problems with ecrins or the lighter duty (elios) jobs they sell. You will also find that the foam cushion in the top of the BD helmet will commence sliding back and forth after about 8 months. It doesn't come out, it's just another indicator of the workmanship that'll bug the crap out of you.

tradclmbr

Apr 17, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #34 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whats lighter? Elios? just curious and yes weight is definately a factor for me, but more of a factor is whether it has a bulky feel (e.g. if I can forget Im wearing it all the better). Bike style helmets definately have that awkward feel to me even if they are lighter

bluering

Apr 17, 2006, 7:37 PM
Post #35 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've owned a bd half dome for about 3 years and have really beat it up. I have absolutely no complaints. Great helmet. I have never tried on a Petzl helmet though.

redzit

Apr 21, 2006, 8:52 PM
Post #36 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm another one of these people who likes their HD. Mine is about 3 years old and has taken a lot of abuse.

I am going to guess that there is a problem either with the plastic in a recent batch of helmets, or that there is some sort of internal stress in the helmet, and that is more likely a result of some malcontent part of production process.

Perhaps those of you that have had your HDs crack could post the manufacturing date and retail date

tradmanclimbs

Apr 24, 2006, 1:55 PM
Post #37 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am usualy a big BD fan but I broke 2 HDs. The first broke in luggage and was brand spankin new. BD replaced it. the 2nd broke after about a year. I replaced it with an ellios. The strap system on the ellios is much better than the HD.

ao

Apr 24, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #38 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hadn't thought much about my HD helmet until I read this post. I was thinking that's too bad, all those climbers with the same prob with their helmet, good thing that's not me! Well, over the weekend I realized I should probably *check* my helmet, and what do you know, a crack on the lip! I don't abuse my helmet, I've had it for about 3.5 yrs. It's a shame, b/c I really do like it, but I might think twice about getting a HD when buying my next helmet...

saulokin

Apr 26, 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #39 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With all of these helmets failing in the parking lot, it is a wonder no one has gotten hurt.

tradmanclimbs

Apr 26, 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #40 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually its a wonder that BD has not commented on this thread. many gear companys monitor these boards and speak up when they are getting bashed. EX the OP link cam thread. Omega pacific rep chimed in on the first page with advice and info on the issue being discussed.

saulokin

Apr 26, 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #41 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am just glad I ran across this thread. I was considering buying two of these helmets. I think I will pass.

tradmanclimbs

Apr 26, 2006, 9:37 PM
Post #42 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unless they changed the plastic since in the last 2 yrs they do break really freaking easy!!

jimdavis

Apr 27, 2006, 1:00 AM
Post #43 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
actually its a wonder that BD has not commented on this thread. many gear companys monitor these boards and speak up when they are getting bashed. EX the OP link cam thread. Omega pacific rep chimed in on the first page with advice and info on the issue being discussed.

Eh, BD isn't know for the best customer service out of the bunch. Unless this gets big, and people stop buying them...I wouldn't expect a public statement.

Then again, maybe they're working on a solution now, and we'll hear from them shortly. Who knows?

My HB Dyneema is holding up well though! :D

Cheers,
Jim

ottoman

Apr 27, 2006, 1:28 AM
Post #44 of 44 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After climbing for a while, i decided to get a helmet. A BD, so far i have been pleased with the performance. If it can last half as long as i have been climbing i'm good to go. Climbing since 1980. :wink:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook