Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

midwestishell

Apr 18, 2006, 2:25 AM
Post #26 of 31 (2954 views)
Shortcut

Re: Worst Belaying Moments [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just this weekend at HCR in AR. While belaying a friend that bailed near the second bolt of a climb with a small roof leading into slabby section. He missed his hold, came down under the roof and stopped quickly with a knee to my chest and a foot to my crotch.

I had him wait a moment before returning to his climb while my parts returned to their original position.

Th

airbender

Apr 18, 2006, 2:35 AM
Post #27 of 31 (2954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not so entertaining but, I once finished a pitch and was patting myself on the back for setting such a nice anchor, my partner halfway up the pitch when fireants decide to make a snack out of me. All I could do was tell him to freaking hurry so we could move up and build a better anchor. I only got 27 bites by the time I got off that ledge. Not a belay story but, my bro and law and I were climbing one day sat down to rest a new freind walks up and starts chatting with us bro in law decides to reach inside his pants and rearange the furniture. About this time amigo is saying see you later grabbs BIL's hand for a good shake tells him he needs more chalk his hands are sweaty "Bud thats not hand sweat its ball sweat"

kiwi_raven

Apr 18, 2006, 2:49 AM
Post #28 of 31 (2954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was belaying my mate in the gym, and him being alot heavier than me when he took a fall, i was pulled up the wall a little bit. But one time, as a joke he thought it would be funny to pull me more up the wall, so we both ended up sitting in the middle of the wall hanging off a draw, i'm not sure how safe this is! What was funny was when we both stuck our heads around the corner of the wall, the people on the other side could only see us looking round the corner. Caused a little bit of confusion.

republiclimber

Apr 18, 2006, 3:00 AM
Post #29 of 31 (2954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was belaying my mate in the gym, and him being alot heavier than me when he took a fall, i was pulled up the wall a little bit. But one time, as a joke he thought it would be funny to pull me more up the wall, so we both ended up sitting in the middle of the wall hanging off a draw, i'm not sure how safe this is! What was funny was when we both stuck our heads around the corner of the wall, the people on the other side could only see us looking round the corner. Caused a little bit of confusion.
that was awesome....please tell it again :roll:

mactrad

Apr 18, 2006, 5:19 AM
Post #30 of 31 (2954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last April on Touchstone wall in Zion. I was belaying my partner on the second pitch. The weather had been nice all morning and I was wearing a t-shirt, when suddenly clouds appeared over us coming directly from the cliff. We had about five minutes warning before it started to rain. Unfortunatley my rain jacket was in the haul bag which we had left down on the ground because we were planning on hauling the first two pitches in one. It only took about three minutes for me to be completely soaked. My partner was under the roof and in the only dry section, so he stayed dry for a little longer than I did, until he turned the roof. After a couple more minutes we started to hear running water coming down. Thankfully the falls was about thirty feet to our right. To make it even more fun, it started hailing on us too. About this time I was beginning to shake uncontrollably so I yelled at my partner to hurry up. I tried to stay as warm as possible by turning my back to the rain so my BD Bbee pack would absorb most of it. At some point the very cold water was running down the lead rope right onto my grigri/harness. My friend ended up fixing the haul rope at the intermediate anchor, which I rapidly rapelled on. Thankfully we weren't very high, and retreat was very easy. We ended up going back to Springdale for burgers and to dry out before getting back on the wall.

mactrad

Apr 18, 2006, 7:28 AM
Post #31 of 31 (2954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last April on Touchstone wall in Zion. I was belaying my partner on the second pitch. The weather had been nice all morning and I was wearing a t-shirt, when suddenly clouds appeared over us coming directly from the cliff. We had about five minutes warning before it started to rain. Unfortunatley my rain jacket was in the haul bag which we had left down on the ground because we were planning on hauling the first two pitches in one. It only took about three minutes for me to be completely soaked. My partner was under the roof and in the only dry section, so he stayed dry for a little longer than I did, until he turned the roof. After a couple more minutes we started to hear running water coming down. Thankfully the falls was about thirty feet to our right. To make it even more fun, it started hailing on us too. About this time I was beginning to shake uncontrollably so I yelled at my partner to hurry up. I tried to stay as warm as possible by turning my back to the rain so my BD Bbee pack would absorb most of it. At some point the very cold water was running down the lead rope right onto my grigri/harness. My friend ended up fixing the haul rope at the intermediate anchor, which I rapidly rapelled on. Thankfully we weren't very high, and retreat was very easy. We ended up going back to Springdale for burgers and to dry out before getting back on the wall.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook