Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Does the derrogatory use of female words bug you?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

livvy

Apr 26, 2006, 4:51 PM
Post #26 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Re: Does the derrogatory use of female words bug you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I like the idea of controlling my reaction to the words, in a humorous way, and be literal in how I hear what they are saying...in a probably lame attempt to get my point across:

For example, someone says "he climbs like a p$$sy" and I say "vaginas can climb on their OWN??!"

Or someone says (usually a man so I'll frame it that way) "that is so gay" and I say "you know what would be gay? if you wanted to have sex with a man, now THAT would be gay".

jemco

Apr 27, 2006, 7:23 PM
Post #27 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I teach at a high school and as you can imagine, what language we use is incredibly important. I am personally very offended when people use any derogatory language (racial, sexist, religous, etc) and I believe we have a responsibility to call people on it. Yes, of course I try not to hang out with people that use that language, but that is not always possible. I also believe most people don't intend to offend and they can simply be educated. There is a program called "teaching tolerance" that has a sheet to explain the actual origin of many of our casual terms (lame, gay, retarded, etc...) and it is very interesting to see the place these came from. The simple fact is, nearly everyone feels offended at certain racial epithets (the "n" word) largely because so many people were hurt by the term...with some re-education, perhaps words that equate feminine with weakness will go the same way--out. Nothing bothers me more than to see high school girls struggle with their body image only to be reminded that boys that are not "tough" or "strong" are referred to as effeminate. I secretly long for the day when a high school girl at my school knocks out the teeth of someone who says "you throw like a girl" and says--"i hope like this girl!!"
jemco

capcom1701

Apr 28, 2006, 5:06 AM
Post #28 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The simple fact is, nearly everyone feels offended at certain racial epithets (the "n" word) largely because so many people were hurt by the term...with some re-education, perhaps words that equate feminine with weakness will go the same way--out.

I secretly long for the day when a high school girl at my school knocks out the teeth of someone who says "you throw like a girl" and says--"i hope like this girl!!"
jemco

So in your utopian future noone will be able to say the "p" word or the "g" word (girl) except for women (sorry, wopersun) pop singers who will engage in gangster wars and beat each other?

Try this exercise, find a copy of a newspaper or magazine (i.e. Time yearbook) from the late forties or early fifties. Look at the language used to describe different ethnic groups. Grab a magazine or newspaper from this year. Look at the language used to describe different ethnic groups. Think about the words used, and the usage of those words.

I was reading some old Time articles from 1953, and it struck me that the words were different, but the usage was remarkably similar to ethnic descriptions I would find in my current day local paper.

Not that I'm advocating gender slurs, I just prefer not to cross words out of the dictionary, especially if it's not going to effect change.

jemco

Apr 28, 2006, 2:05 PM
Post #29 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jon- I think you misunderstood the point of my post as well as the whole point of the original post. As a teacher, specfically an English teacher, I would never advocate the "crossing out" of words from the dictionary. There is, however, a big difference between using a word as a tool to help communicate (calling a young woman a girl, for example) and using a word as a weapon (calling a young man who doesn't play tough enough football a girl, for example.) In my "perfect" world, we would work TOWARD being a generally more sensitive culture. Don't forget all the benefits we all enjoy because someone was unwilling to accept the reality presented by the majority. I will not settle for a flawed world when it is so easy to move in the right direction.
jemco

nola_angie

Apr 28, 2006, 3:58 PM
Post #30 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Victorian society was quite polite, and people addressed each other very respectfully. While in this era, is was VERY bad to call a woman a bad name, it was quite common to, during a difficult delivery, let the mother die and save the child. I think even though it's more common in the modern era to use words like pu&&! and sissy and so on as descriptives (and cock, prick and nuts for that matter) we, as women have come quite a long way. I'll take the derogatory language, and keep my right to vote and survive childbirth thank you very much! :shock:

Anyhow, my utopia would not censor language, even derogatory language, but place more emphasis on how we *treat* each other, and teach people to look more at that. Like someone said, 'bitch, please!' can be used lovingly. It's more of how you behave towards each other.

acacongua

Apr 28, 2006, 4:10 PM
Post #31 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You ladies should read the book Cu**nt. It's feminist material and explores how this word used in a derogatory manner actually stands for a thing of beauty and should be used in a sense of sisterhood. Although I can't agree with all written in the book, I can appreciate her attempt to reconcile us to a sense of this sisterhood where we can genuinely rely upon each other rather than stand divided.

All those who want to join my Cu**nt-lovin' sistahood, sign here ...

PS I added the ** because I'm typing this at work. :wink:

wjca

Apr 28, 2006, 8:47 PM
Post #32 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have found that in the case of some individuals, male and female, 'c*nt' is the only descriptive word that does them justice.

Same for the word "p*ssy". Sometimes it the only word that fits. Imagine a couple of guys out at the crag. One is having trouble getting up the route and starts yelling "TAKE!!" cause he's afraid to fall on top rope. The natural response from his buddy holding the other end of the rope, "Dude, don't be such a p*ssy!"

Now, imagine the same scenario. The climber starts yelling "TAKE!!" and his friend responds, "Dude, don't be such a bearded clam!" or "Dude, don't be such a hot love tunnel!"

"What? Oh shit, FALLING!!"

You see, sometimes "p*ssy" is the only word that fits.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Apr 29, 2006, 12:16 AM
Post #33 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now, imagine the same scenario. The climber starts yelling "TAKE!!" and his friend responds, "Dude, don't be such a bearded clam!" or "Dude, don't be such a hot love tunnel!"

"What? Oh s---, FALLING!!"

You see, sometimes "p*ssy" is the only word that fits.

You know, I hadn't even processed the safety concerns associated with excessive political correctness...

With that hypothetical scenario, you may have just prevented more injuries and accidents than majid_sabet's helmet admonishments ever will.

:lol:

jemco

May 4, 2006, 4:36 AM
Post #34 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is an interesting issue--especially with the suggestion that derogatory names for women could be used as empowering (as the book Cu**nt explains) The issue then comes down to who/how are those words being used. Again, it is important to note that feminists that "reclaim" the word cu**nt are doing something much different than a group of male climbers trying to shame their less bold friend by calling him a pussy. It should be obvious that in that scenario, the female body part is simply the replacement word for weak, scared or otherwise not tough enough. In the feminist reclamation of a word designed to hurt women, the terms would be used by women, with women and to support women. The exact thing happened in the Gay/Lesbian culture when academics began using the word "queer" as a term of honor--queer studies is a major at many US universities. As always, it comes down to who and how a term is being used. I for one have little tolerance for derogatory speech of any kind and I am rarely quiet about it.
jemco

clausti

May 4, 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #35 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I like the idea of controlling my reaction to the words, in a humorous way, and be literal in how I hear what they are saying...in a probably lame attempt to get my point across:

For example, someone says "he climbs like a p$$sy" and I say "vaginas can climb on their OWN??!"

Or someone says (usually a man so I'll frame it that way) "that is so gay" and I say "you know what would be gay? if you wanted to have sex with a man, now THAT would be gay".

i havent had time to come back and trophy this, but exam week is now over. just know that it deserves one and as soon as i remember on a day i can also rate it'll get it.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

May 4, 2006, 3:14 PM
Post #36 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You ladies should read the book Cu**nt. It's feminist material and explores how this word used in a derogatory manner actually stands for a thing of beauty and should be used in a sense of sisterhood. Although I can't agree with all written in the book, I can appreciate her attempt to reconcile us to a sense of this sisterhood where we can genuinely rely upon each other rather than stand divided.

While I certainly agree with what you're saying, it has to be said that there can be a fine line between the positivity of that book and the atrocious reinforcement of Sex and the City.

Partner macherry

May 4, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #37 of 37 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks BLB for the link........laughed my ass off. morning coffee everywhere!!!!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook