RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

blumsky_climbs_rox

May 2, 2006, 3:01 AM
Post #1 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Learning Trad
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live in NC. I sport climb a lot. I have a small rack of camalots and nuts. Somebody teach me! Please!

chrisb

May 3, 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #2 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Re: Learning Trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly, you should think about getting a guide for a couple days.

I'm sure you're experienced with some level of rope/gear management, but paying a guide would be a great use of your money. You'll be able to ask and do anything and everything you want/need to learn, without worrying about slowing someone else down. Plus, after a couple days with a guide, you'll be in a much better position to go with other folk--having that experience will make you a much more attractive 'newer' partner than just someone begging to learn.

Yes, guides cost money and spending money sucks, but the other options are to be at the ever changing mercies of more experienced folk or go it alone and learn the hard way (read: hurting yourself or worse).

Just remember, if you do find an experienced person willing to teach you, the standard compensation is beer (preferrably an IPA), effusive praise, and not losing any of her/his gear.

Good luck

cb

gordo

May 3, 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #3 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just remember, if you do find an experienced person willing to teach you, the standard compensation is beer (preferrably an IPA), effusive praise, and not losing any of her/his gear.

Now that there is some seriously good advice!! :D

reg

May 3, 2006, 2:01 PM
Post #4 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Honestly, you should think about getting a guide for a couple days.

right on!!!

In reply to:

Good luck

cb

IPA's are not beer - it is an ale - India pale - hopped up so as to survive the journey from england to india - drank warm out of a wooden cast! i prefere it cold in a mason jar.

shakylegs

May 3, 2006, 2:11 PM
Post #5 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
IPA's are not beer - it is an ale - India pale - hopped up so as to survive the journey from england to india - drank warm out of a wooden cast! i prefere it cold in a mason jar.

You're correct on the history. However, IPA is a beer, it's simply not a lager.

csproul

May 3, 2006, 2:19 PM
Post #6 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where in NC do you live and how hard are you sport climbing ? It's a rough place to live if you are into sport climbing as there isn't a whole lot of it and most of it is over my head. There is a lot of good trad and good trad climbers to partner up with. Guides can be a nice way to learn, but some guides just aren't interested in(or capable of) teaching as opposed to leading people up climbs, so keep that in mind when picking a guide. But a guide is not necessary, there are plenty of experienced trad climbers around to learn from.

blumsky_climbs_rox

May 3, 2006, 5:47 PM
Post #7 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree on most all counts here. i climb 5.11 sport-ish. yes this is a crapplace for sport climbing, i boulder a lot too:(

i know a lot of theory, i just need to see it in practice maaaaaan

*jingles beer* someone help meeeee

Partner hosh

May 3, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #8 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pshaw! Buy me a ticket to NC and I'll teach you! Heck, I won't even charge you the beer fee! (I don't drink...)

But you'll have to wait a few weeks at least, my wife is going to have a baby any day now, she had contractions all night last night, I'm at work waiting for my cell to ring so I can go and be a daddy!

hosh.

mdacar

May 3, 2006, 6:22 PM
Post #9 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would check out Fox Mountain guides. That's who I went to to learn trad and it was really good. I had 4 people in the class when I took it so it wasn't too expensive either. But definitely worth the money.

csproul

May 3, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #10 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you live in the triangle area I'd be up with climbing with yousometime. If not, it'd be a little harder to meet you. You can already climb and lead (presumably), and placing gear is just a matter of practice and evaluation of yours and others gear placements. Send me a PM

Partner mr8615

May 3, 2006, 6:49 PM
Post #11 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be in brevard all summer, if you're close by there, send me a PM. I'll be working as a guide, but I wouldn't be above teaching you gear placements in exchange for a steady partner when I'm not working.

Mark

blumsky_climbs_rox

May 3, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #12 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i live in winston-salem and will be working at a gear shop. guiding is my next goal . . .

im always up for climbing with anyone who will put up with me :D

Partner hosh

May 3, 2006, 7:24 PM
Post #13 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait, you're asking to learn to climb trad, and you're looking to guide? If this is a future goal, then cool. but if you're looking to be guiding now, then I'm concerned... I've been climbing trad for 3 years now, and I'm not even looking to be a guide...

hosh.

blumsky_climbs_rox

May 3, 2006, 7:27 PM
Post #14 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

future goal hoss, i am a recreation and leisure studies major in school.

learn lots of stuff
>
graduate
>
guide
>
park ranger/open business

Partner hosh

May 3, 2006, 7:33 PM
Post #15 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool, jsut checking. Kinda caught me a little off guard, you know?

"hoss". (?)

reg

May 3, 2006, 7:37 PM
Post #16 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You're correct on the history. However, IPA is a beer, it's simply not a lager.

i learn something every day. beer ales and beer lagers (googled it) - dam (not damn) i thought i was an ale man v.s. beer whatever. thanks shaky

porcelainsunset

May 3, 2006, 7:39 PM
Post #17 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
future goal hoss, i am a recreation and leisure studies major in school.

learn lots of stuff
>
graduate
>
guide
>
park ranger/open business

Right on man. If you want to make a profession out of this, then I would learn from the professionals. See how they do it, what worked, what didn't, and how to do their job better than them.

However, IMHO I would never pay anybody money to teach me to climb. I climb A2, 5.11 trad, and have never spent a penny on somebody teaching me. I have bought some of my friends beer in exchange for their help. There are plenty of skilled people out there who are willing to teach people to climb, as long as their students are capeable and willing to learn/try. These people are out there, it is just going to take you a while to find them.

Good luck!

blumsky_climbs_rox

May 3, 2006, 7:50 PM
Post #18 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hoss-slang like 'buddy, etc' around here, sorry.

i am always glad to shell out beer for learning, and i will prob hire a guide before the summer is over, but i don't have money oozing out of my butt and i am impatient!

marinaaxid25

May 5, 2006, 6:25 PM
Post #19 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing in general is a self-disciplined sport. You don't need to pay a coach for weekly lessons in order to move up the ranks to climb better. The way I see it, the more time you put in, the more you'll get out of it.

It's a good idea to hire a guide if you want to learn about the gear...but for the most part, if you have friends who are patient to teach you, then your best bet is to put that $200+ into better use.

For me, that money will go toward my tuition for grad school. Guides will still be around by the time I graduate, so I'm not worried.

rockguide

May 5, 2006, 7:08 PM
Post #20 of 20 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Where in NC do you live and how hard are you sport climbing ? It's a rough place to live if you are into sport climbing as there isn't a whole lot of it and most of it is over my head. There is a lot of good trad and good trad climbers to partner up with. Guides can be a nice way to learn, but some guides just aren't interested in(or capable of) teaching as opposed to leading people up climbs, so keep that in mind when picking a guide. But a guide is not necessary, there are plenty of experienced trad climbers around to learn from.

True, and alot of experienced trad climbers just aren't interested in(or capable of) teaching as opposed to leading people up climbs, so keep that in mind when picking an experienced trad climber. And make sure they really do know what they are doing - a strong climbing resume and good movement skills do not always indicate knowledge of climbing systems.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook