RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dbruning

May 9, 2006, 4:15 AM
Post #1 of 6 (384 views)
Shortcut

Mississippi Palisade beta
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

looking to head down around the beginning of June and any information on climbing, guide book, places to eat and camp, outdoor stores etc. would be appreciated.

organic

May 9, 2006, 4:47 AM
Post #2 of 6 (384 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mississippi Palisade beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The beta is you don't want to go there. Go to Devil's Lake in Wisconsin or Jackson Falls in Southern Illinois instead.

Considering the Palisades:
Devil's Lake = -3 hour drive from Minnesota
Jackson Falls = +3 hour drive from Minnesota

soillclimber

May 10, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #3 of 6 (384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jigga...you beat me to it. I was just saying as I saw the tread...The beta is not to go. Up comes the page and it was like I had already been there. Brothers of the same mind. Dbrunning, we mean no disrespect, its just funny. Seriously, for quality climbing and a more memorable experience, follow organics advice. Have fun....

djr

May 10, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #4 of 6 (384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apparently the other posters didn't read your question.

There is camping within the state park itself, and as far as restaurants, nothing beats cooking over the open fire if you ask me though there are some local restaurants in the town of Savanna a few miles to the South.

There is a good guide book though it may be out of print by now. I believe it's called River Rock written by bill Collett and Gary Taylor.

Good climbing and have fun.

DJR

soillclimber

May 11, 2006, 6:02 PM
Post #5 of 6 (384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrunning...Organic and i were just messing, were good friends and seem to think alike often, hence the joke. I do not have any actual beta for the Palsides. Anyways, I suggested Dev Lake or So Ill because of the amount of routes. Also I know that the rock quality at both areas is better. If you go to Southern illinois, there are about 350 routes at jackson Falls alone. Most of which are very high quality. Whether you are climbing 5.6 or 5.14 there is something for you. If you decide to go to So Ill feel free to PM me and I will help with any beta you need. Have fun where ever you go.

dbruning

May 12, 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #6 of 6 (384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I figured it was something fishy going on :D. The initial option was to meet up with some peeps at the Blue Mounds MN gathering but my friend and I decided we wanted something else and something new (though at 2.5 hours from my door to DL,can't be beat). Really looking at keeping around the same drive time as it would have been to go to BM, I'm assuming the +3 to So Ill was in addition to the 6 hours planned. Problem is I was only able to get off June 1-4, meaning Sunday we head back.

As for stone quality...the closet crag is Barn Bluff if that gives you an idea of the rock I am now used to climbing on.

Thanks for all the info and if plans change I'll let you know.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook