Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

catmonster

Apr 18, 2006, 1:48 AM
Post #1 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Austin this summer?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone!

I'm moving to Austin for the summer and I'm looking for some good folk to go climbing with while I'm out there. I'm something of a beginner (only been climbing for about 6 months) so ideally I would like to find someone who would be willing to help me out, or a fellow newbie. Anyone out there? Let me know!

Peace,
Cat

musicman1586

Apr 18, 2006, 2:27 AM
Post #2 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Austin this summer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your landing yourself in a climbing mecca, Austin is surrounded by fabulous climbing and a wonderful climbing community to go along with it. Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/austin_climbers/ this group goes out to the Greenbelt every tuesday and thursday, and then there's lots of people out at Reimer's Ranch on the weekends, so just head out and introduce yourself, maybe use the forum to tell them your coming and to look out for you. There's far more climbing spots around Austin as well, just giving you a few of the very popular ones. Once the summer starts I'll have alot more time to climb, so feel free to message me on here or the yahoo group, I'll be glad to show you around.

john_doe

Apr 18, 2006, 3:06 AM
Post #3 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like I will be transferred to Houston for the next 12 months. I will probably be making the trek from Houston to Austin (area) every weekend for a year. I hear that Reimer's and the greenbelt are about 2.5 hours away, with everything else at 4 hrs.

I will be looking for a climbing partner while in the Austin area.

musicman1586

Apr 18, 2006, 3:15 AM
Post #4 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It looks like I will be transferred to Houston for the next 12 months. I will probably be making the trek from Houston to Austin (area) every weekend for a year. I hear that Reimer's and the greenbelt are about 2.5 hours away, with everything else at 4 hrs.

I will be looking for a climbing partner while in the Austin area.

The Greenbelt is just barely not to downtown, so there's no hour and a half difference there, and Reimer's is 30 min. (depending where your coming from) outside of Austin, a little outside of Dripping Springs, so either way I think you'll be making a long drive. Don't have a map in front of me, but if your up for slight to moderate runout bolting or if you climb trad Enchanted Rock in Fredricksburg may be closer and a better option (oh, and the bouldering there is excellent)

catmonster

Apr 18, 2006, 4:30 AM
Post #5 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definitely be up for some weekends this summer. What ratings are you looking for? It sounds like Austin is the place to be for climbing!

musicman1586

Apr 18, 2006, 4:51 AM
Post #6 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would definitely be up for some weekends this summer. What ratings are you looking for? It sounds like Austin is the place to be for climbing!

I'm pretty much a beginner myself, been climbing since last August, at my best I was climbing low .10's but I've been fairly busy this semester so I'm a lil weaker now, however I just got a job at Austin Rock Gym so I plan on doing alot of training over this summer and what not. Reimer's Ranch is great for all levels of climbers though, the majority in the mid ranges with some lows (5.5-6 can't remember what's the easiest climbers) and up to several 5.13's, and a single 5.14 (if I remember correctly and there hasn't been any new .14's established). And like I said, the Austin climbing community is great, just go out and introduce yourself to the first pack of people you come upon, tell them your new and all that fun stuff.

On another note can you tell that school is boring me again and I have nothing better to do but browse around on the web?

catmonster

Apr 18, 2006, 4:59 AM
Post #7 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking of applying for a job at ARG, how difficult/easy is it to get a job there? What qualifications do they require? I haven't been able to get out and climb a lot recently either (school, blah), the highest I've ever climbed was a 5.9 but that was a while ago, most recently I've been hovering around the 5.7 area. Where do you go to school?

price1869

Apr 18, 2006, 5:43 AM
Post #8 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was also just transfered to Austin (from SLC) I'll be heading up to Barton Springs tomorrow (tues) and will be trying to hit E-Rock on one of the up-coming weekends. Just come by tues or thurs night. Ask for Price. I'm new, you're new, maybe we can get together and form a new team. :lol:

musicman1586

Apr 18, 2006, 5:43 AM
Post #9 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I know a guy that works there so I got a good recommendation from him, but I dunno, if you want call ARG and ask for Troy, I dunno if he hired all of his summer hires at once or if he still is looking, I just got the job a week ago from tommorow/today and had my first day of training this past weekend. I go to the University of Texas at San Antonio right now, but I'm transferring to UT Austin this fall (if you know what the CAP program is I'm a CAP student)
I've lived in Austin most my life and can't wait to get back!

musicman1586

Apr 18, 2006, 5:46 AM
Post #10 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was also just transfered to Austin (from SLC) I'll be heading up to Barton Springs tomorrow (tues) and will be trying to hit E-Rock on one of the up-coming weekends. Just come by tues or thurs night. Ask for Price. I'm new, you're new, maybe we can get together and form a new team. :lol:

Are you much of a trad climber? If so would you be willing to take a noob out and teach him, cause for whatever reason I have a huge desire to get into trad, but finding people to "mentor" me has been a bit of a challenge so far.

Edit: and by much of a trad climber I don't mean "are you good or not?" I mean "do you climb trad often?" heh, just making sure I don't sound stuck-up or whatever "I will only except a 5.13 trad leader to teach me" :lol:

ahwoo

Apr 28, 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #11 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as musicman said, tuesdays and thursdays are the days to head out to new wall if you're new to the area. a good number of people usually head out, and there's usually a pretty wide range of climbers there (in terms of skill level). as long as you've the basics in terms of gear (shoes, harness, chalk) you should have no problem getting in on some of the climbing. i'd suggest trying to meet up with tommy blackwell on those days. real nice guy and real helpful. i don't know what his username on this site is, but you can do a user search for him.

seems like ARG's been getting quite a few new hires recently. dunno why. and musicman, if you're interested, there has recently been talk of starting a UT climbing team, being that you're coming to UT in the near future. And here are some instructions for getting onto our e-mail list of UT climbers.

"Email network of UT climbers that is a very efficient way for information to be circulated. To sign up for the listserv send an email to listproc@lists.cc.utexas.edu with an empty subject and the following message body:

subscribe climbers yourfirstname yourlastname

After you have subscribed you will receive a confirmation email. It is highly recommended that you actually read that email. There is lots of info about how to use the listserv, who to contact if you have trouble, etc. Then you can send and receive email to and from every member of R.O.C.K. Feel free to use the listserv to find a climbing partner for the weekend, to get advice on what gear to buy, or anything else climbing related."

any questions or anything, feel free to PM me.

fireclimber

May 13, 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #12 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be stopping In Austin on my drive to boulder this summer, so I would love to hook up and climb!! Scott

catmonster

May 16, 2006, 3:41 PM
Post #13 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I will be stopping In Austin on my drive to boulder this summer, so I would love to hook up and climb!! Scott

When will you be in the area? And where are you driving from? I'm visiting my mom in the midwest, looking for some climbing to happen. Any chance you're driving through Ohio?

ccard257

May 16, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #14 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will also be living in austin for the summer and am looking for people to climb with. Im pretty out of shape so i probably won't hit anything above the low 10's if that till im feeling stronger, but i don't mind belaying as long as the favor is returned. I do a little trad and am looking to get more into that so whoever was looking for e-rock partners hit me up. (anyone with a lot of experience who wants to help me out would be awesome). Im gonna try to hit up the greenbelt or reimers almost daily so just PM me if you wanna go sometime

catmonster

Jun 4, 2006, 7:50 PM
Post #15 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just rolled in to town this morning and I am psyched so if anyone wants to go climbing just let me know!!

musicman1586

Jun 4, 2006, 9:07 PM
Post #16 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just rolled in to town this morning and I am psyched so if anyone wants to go climbing just let me know!!

Head out to New Wall on Tuesday if you can, the climbing there is pretty challenging (mainly 11's with scattered 10's and 12's) but it's a nice place with a bunch of good people, and the climbs are fun to try even if you can't finish them. Plus, hanging around with strong climbers and hard climbs I think helps one progress faster.

mccombs07

Jun 4, 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #17 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Austin in the summer. Climb with a nightlight or naked. its gonna be scorchin

ahwoo

Jun 5, 2006, 5:23 AM
Post #18 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we were at new wall today, and damn, it was pretty hot for the most part. how i miss the winter days. anyways, i hear there's going to be a pretty decent showing this tuesday, so you should definitely show. i'll probably be heading up there after i get out of classes if i have the energy for it. i do believe that most people start showing around 3ish. i'd recommend bringing lots of water (i usually go through a little less than 2 liters) and some bug spray (mosquitoes usually aren't that bad, but they get worse as the day progresses). hope to see a couple of you out there.

-Alan

catmonster

Jun 5, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #19 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could anyone PM me directions to New Wall? I would love to check it out!

ahwoo

Jun 5, 2006, 6:50 PM
Post #20 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you're in north austin, take mopac south and exit barton skyway. take a left onto barton skyway.

if you're coming from south austin, take mopac north and exit barton skyway, taking a right at the light.

for both, drive down to the dead end and park. head down the trail and go right. follow that trail for about 3/4 a mile. the path will split at one point, you'll see the bike trail continues left and there's this wooden gate type thing on the right. go through the wood gate thing and head down for a little less than a quarter mile. walls will be on your right hand side. easier stuff is further down.

timstich

Jun 5, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #21 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can still download topos for the Greenbelt and Reimer's on http://www.texasclimbers.com

novelthinker

Jun 6, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #22 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think i'll jump on the back-end of catmonster's post and say that i think i'm also looking for some climbing here in austin as well. i'm here for the summer only, typically surf and sail on the east coast of florida, but have seen quite a few people climbing at the greenbelt off the 360 access and think i'd like to do some climbing while here as well. i'm a definite newbie, climbed a gym for several hours once and watched twice on the greenbelt, but would pick it up fairly quickly as i do with most sports/activities. are you guys suggesting just going out there and randomly introducing myself and seeing if anyone will let me climb with them etc as the best option? that's how we do for people new to sailing, but am checking to see what would be best for me to do and who to get connected with in the afternoons. i'm mellow but outgoing, in good shape, and a solid christian that gets along with anyone. if there aren't any waves in austin i guess i can give the solid earth a try. it's all about following the feel of the earth, being fluid, whether in water or on land from what i've seen.

gregg mallinson
novelthinker@hotmail.com
i'm off 30th and guadalupe

musicman1586

Jun 6, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #23 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should be out at New Wall around 4-ish today, although I'm not quite sure about all of that as I'm about to head out to lunch with my best friend who leaves tommorow for base and that will be the last time I see him before he goes to Iraq so we don't plan on being out past 3-ish or so, but if he winds up having some more free time then I'll definitely be getting out there much later. It has been getting dark pretty late though, so I should be out at sometime no matter what. See everyone out there,
Kyle

ahwoo

Jun 7, 2006, 1:03 AM
Post #24 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing off the 360 access (seismic wall), i think it's typically better to go during the weekend. it's usually not too busy during the week. since you're new to the sport, i'd definitely recommend going to seismic, as it has some of the easier stuff of all the major walls. since it doesn't really sound like you know anybody in the austin climbing scene, going and asking to hop on people's ropes wouldn't be too bad an idea. however, if you're going to take this route, having your own shoes, harness, chalk, and other basic gear is advised. i know that i never have a problem with people climbing on my rope, but lending total strangers any other gear is a bit much in my opinion.

jess54

Jul 14, 2006, 7:11 PM
Post #25 of 26 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, my name is Jessica, I moved to austin this summer as well. (although this post is a little late). I am a fellow newbie!! let me know if you are still looking for someone to climb with - i could use the help!!

thanks!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook