Deleted

May 22, 2006, 7:52 PM
Post #76 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Re: That Damned Da Vinci Code!!1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What's your point?

In the book, Opus Dei is responsible for murder. Do either of those links confirm that?

slablizard

May 22, 2006, 7:57 PM
Post #77 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No point at all... you mentioned OD, I heard that a lot back in Rome connected to the Vatican and some not soo clean stories with politics and money back in the 70s and 80s and I just googled it. As you say one has to confirm facts....

In reply to:
What's your point?

In the book, Opus Dei is responsible for murder. Do either of those links confirm that?

coopershawk

May 22, 2006, 9:17 PM
Post #78 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No interest in reading the book or seeing the movie...could care less in fact. However, I just finished Autoiography of a Yogi, amd was very suprised at the amount of biblical quotes these Hundus used, incorporated, and lived by in this book. Thorne, Pinky, how come other religions incorporate the bible into their religion, accept the message of Christ, consider him on par with the rest of the saints, but christians condem everything that isn't drawn exclusively from the bible and consider hindus hell-born sinners? Oh yes, and the message these enlightened yogis delivered was no different than the teachings of the New Testament. Explanations please.....

thorne
Deleted

May 22, 2006, 9:32 PM
Post #79 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you quit making blanket generalizations/condemnations, I might consider giving you honest, sincere, straightforward replies.

coopershawk

May 22, 2006, 9:33 PM
Post #80 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not good enough. Answer the question....or can't you?

pinktricam

May 22, 2006, 9:41 PM
Post #81 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No interest in reading the book or seeing the movie...could care less in fact.
Do you mean you couldn't care less?

In reply to:
However, I just finished Autoiography of a Yogi, amd was very suprised at the amount of biblical quotes these Hundus used, incorporated, and lived by in this book. Thorne, Pinky, how come other religions incorporate the bible into their religion, accept the message of Christ, consider him on par with the rest of the saints, but christians condem everything that isn't drawn exclusively from the bible and consider hindus hell-born sinners?
You'd have to give me an example and put it in context, but even so, my guess would be that they do it for the same reason Satan used scripture. He cleverly twisted and perverted it for his own means.

In reply to:
Oh yes, and the message these enlightened yogis delivered was no different than the teachings of the New Testament...
I doubt it. No offense, but I don't think you have an clear understanding of the NT.

coopershawk

May 22, 2006, 9:54 PM
Post #82 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, blame Satan for everything. Typical Christian answer. why don't you pick the book up and read it before telling me what i understand and don't understand? Thanks for the grammatical correction, too. I think Satan was fucking with my head when I wrote that. Hey, you guys wanna burn some witches later?? Or kill some filthy muslim dogs?

pinktricam

May 22, 2006, 9:59 PM
Post #83 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, what part of, "You'd have to give me an example and put it in context..." don't you understand?!?

It becomes obvious with each of your posts that you neither have any understanding of the NT, nor do you wish any.

coopershawk

May 22, 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #84 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, pick the book up and read it for chirstsake's!!!!!!The book is loaded with biblical refrences, references to God, Jesus, his Gospel, etc. What part of "pick the book up and read it" don't you understand??? Automatically, it's Satan does this and Satan does that. Satan, Satan, Satan... Satan's in your heart and head, not in hell. Get a grip. Just because I'v read the New Testament and claim that it's MESSAGE OF PEACE is really no different than any other "gospel"out there, doesn't mean Satan is influencing my thoughts...Do you ever get laid with that attitude?

pinktricam

May 22, 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #85 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude, pick the book up and read it for chirstsake's!!!!!!The book is loaded with biblical refrences, references to God, Jesus, his Gospel, etc. What part of "pick the book up and read it" don't you understand??? Automatically, it's Satan does this and Satan does that. Satan, Satan, Satan... Satan's in your heart and head, not in hell. Get a grip. Just because I'v read the New Testament and claim that it's MESSAGE OF PEACE is really no different than any other "gospel"out there, doesn't mean Satan is influencing my thoughts...
Yeah...too bad you missed the message of Salvation.

slablizard

May 23, 2006, 12:36 AM
Post #86 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!

http://mindtube.com/profile/sam.gif

In reply to:
In reply to:
Dude, pick the book up and read it for chirstsake's!!!!!!The book is loaded with biblical refrences, references to God, Jesus, his Gospel, etc. What part of "pick the book up and read it" don't you understand??? Automatically, it's Satan does this and Satan does that. Satan, Satan, Satan... Satan's in your heart and head, not in hell. Get a grip. Just because I'v read the New Testament and claim that it's MESSAGE OF PEACE is really no different than any other "gospel"out there, doesn't mean Satan is influencing my thoughts...
Yeah...too bad you missed the message of Salvation.

coopershawk

May 23, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #87 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D fucking awesome dude

napoleon_in_rags

May 23, 2006, 1:07 AM
Post #88 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!

Of I remember right, Tarantino actually wrote that by pasting together 3 or 4 old testament quotes.

gogo

May 23, 2006, 2:13 AM
Post #89 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, first off, my comment about the body of God still hasn't really been answered at all. I got someone saying that our bodies have changed since being expelled from Eden in the mythological sense, but that still doesn't answer the necessity of any sense organs. Because if we are created in God's image, that still implies that he has organs to sense and acquire knowledge of surroundings, which would imply that the Christian god is not omnipresent and all-knowing.

The whole stats things involving Christianity and Roman Catholics wasn't really my point, and I actually didn't give any stats. However, I really don't see how anyone can claim that Roman Catholics are not Christian.

curt

May 23, 2006, 4:22 AM
Post #90 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm amazed that there are still people who still think The Da Vinci Code is real.

Did they miss Dan Brown and Michael Baigent (author of "holy blood holy grail") slugging it out in court over who made it up first?

:lol:

I guess back-in-the-day Mark would be suing Luke about who made it up first. :lol:

Curt

Partner tradman

May 23, 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #91 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh.

Not really. See, there's no copyright on historical events - anyone can report them because they really happened.

Baigent and Brown's books do have copyright applied to them because they're made up. Had they been based on actual facts, the court case could never have taken place.

thorne
Deleted

May 23, 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #92 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thorne, Pinky, how come other religions incorporate the bible into their religion, accept the message of Christ, consider him on par with the rest of the saints, but christians condem everything that isn't drawn exclusively from the bible and consider hindus hell-born sinners? Oh yes, and the message these enlightened yogis delivered was no different than the teachings of the New Testament. Explanations please.....

Which religions, besides Hinduism, incorporate the Bible into their religion?

Which other religions have Saints? Who are these "rest of the saints" you're talking about? Is there a club or special initiation?

What evidence to you have that "Christians condem everything that isn't drawn exclusively from the bible and consider hindus hell-born sinners?"

I respond with questions because you seem to make a lot of presumptions on things I don't know anything about.

Enlighten me. :D

dookie

May 23, 2006, 2:24 PM
Post #93 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The actual drama is pure fiction. But his claims of historical accuracy and the use of certain weel known facts allows him to introduce some historical fictions, that could easily be considered historical truths.
Here are some of the grey areas -

Hidden (but intentional) message in Da Vinci's The Last Supper
Relationship of Jesus and Mary and any offspring
Prior of Sion
Opus Dei
Yes, I agree that writing about some truth with things that are made up is a tricky thing. It can lead folks to confuse what might be fact and fiction. However, people need to be able to think for themselves here and not believe everything they read. Dan Brown himself states what is fact at the beginning of the novel. The places are real, the architecture is real, the organizations he uses are real entities, and the art is real. Beyond that it is fiction. What he writes about the art, organizations, and places is fiction. He never makes any claims to the contrary. The fact that some are misconstruing what he wrote as pure fact is not his fault nor the movies fault - people have to use their own minds to think for themselves here.
I think the main reason we see the outcry about all of this is simply because the main focus of the book is religion, Christianity specifically. If it was some other thing he were writing about, not Jesus and the Christian religion, I don't think anyone would have much of an issue with it. At least that's my opinion ;)

thorne
Deleted

May 23, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #94 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The fact that some are misconstruing what he wrote as pure fact is not his fault.
From Dan Brown interviews I've read, he gives the distinct impression that he completely believes everything he wrote about regarding Jesus's lifetime and relations. This leads me to believe his muddying of the waters was quite intentional.

In reply to:
I think the main reason we see the outcry about all of this is simply because the main focus of the book is religion, Christianity specifically. If it was some other thing he were writing about, not Jesus and the Christian religion, I don't think anyone would have much of an issue with it. At least that's my opinion ;)

If someone made a movie about Joseph McCarthy, showing that all of the people he accusing of being agents of the Soviet Union were, in fact, agents of the Soviet Union and that he was actually a very patriotic man, who's only real transgression was attacking the darling's of the left (read - MEDIA), there would be a huge stink..... even if it was touted as fiction.

Or a movie showing how Lincoln forced the onset of the Civil War...

Or how Cordell Hull cut the legs out from under the Japanese, effectively guaranteeing their attack.

All three of these examples are much more supportable, yet all three would cause a major uproar.

pinktricam

May 23, 2006, 3:04 PM
Post #95 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
From Dan Brown interviews I've read, he gives the distinct impression that he completely believes everything he wrote about regarding Jesus's lifetime and relations. This leads me to believe his muddying of the waters was quite intentional.
Or that he is a media savvy promotional genius.

In reply to:
If someone made a movie about Joseph McCarthy, showing that all of the people he accusing of being agents of the Soviet Union were, in fact, agents of the Soviet Union and that he was actually a very patriotic man, who's only real transgression was attacking the darling's of the left (read - MEDIA), there would be a huge stink..... even if it was touted as fiction.
*Sigh* Sen. Joe McCarthy...one of the truly maligned patriotic legends in our history...he's one of my political heroes. It's too bad he drank himself into a parody.

Partner tradman

May 23, 2006, 3:04 PM
Post #96 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The places are real, the architecture is real, the organizations he uses are real entities, and the art is real. Beyond that it is fiction. What he writes about the art, organizations, and places is fiction.

True enough. But he doesn't say that in the book.

What he says is like someone writing, "The places, architecture and people in what I am about to write are completely real. Dave Black and Abi Howe live in the US and Scotland, and from the safety of their own houses they mastermind an international paedphile ring which sexually abuses, rapes and murders thousands of infants and children every year".

The qualifying statement is completely true. But it's painfully obvious what the subsequent text is meant to imply about us, isn't it?

boondock_saint

May 23, 2006, 3:10 PM
Post #97 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the reason the church is so anti-DaVinci Code is because of the church's target audience. Most intelligent people will make up their own mind on issues and the church can do little to influence them. Intelligent people who read/watched DaVinci code understand where the facts stop and the fiction begins. The church is "afraid" of the movie because it could only have power over the same audience the church preys on.

Not to say that everyone who goes to church or believes in God in not intelligent. I'm not trying to say that at all (though I have been surprised to hear people I consider to be intelligent talking about carbon dating as hoaxes, and I do not get how they instantly throw all the intellect and reasoning out the window).

pinktricam

May 23, 2006, 3:14 PM
Post #98 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The qualifying statement is completely true. But it's painfully obvious what the subsequent text is meant to imply about us, isn't it?
...and it's a damn good thing it's untrue. Otherwise, I would been greatly dissappointed in you two kids!

Partner tradman

May 23, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #99 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Most intelligent people will make up their own mind on issues.

You're right.

That's why 97% of the world's population is religious, and over a third of it is christian. Those who reject religion are a tiny, tiny fringe minority.

Partner wideguy

May 23, 2006, 3:36 PM
Post #100 of 125 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The church is "afraid" of the movie because it could only have power over the same audience the church preys on.

It's very simple. People read the book and were widely quoted that it made them "Question the teachings of the church and their faith" It was probably exageration on those people's parts but they said it nonetheless and the Catholic church (And let's be clear, it is almost exclusively the hard line Catholics who have issue) doesn't want people questioning. Kierkegaard said it. "The existence of God can neither be proven or disproven, it can only be acheived by an act of faith." And in their mind that faith must be absolute. You can't have the the flock questioning the shepherds.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook