RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

notch

May 25, 2006, 9:18 PM
Post #1 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Massachusetts to increase regulation of climbing walls
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As this pertains to all walls, not just indoor I chose to put this under general instead of "climbing gyms". Mod, move if desired.

In reply to:
New Massachusetts Regulations Could Hurt Climbing Wall Industry
SportsOneSource Media Posted: 5/25/2006
Massachusetts Department of Public Safety posted its most recent revisions to amusement regulations for the Commonwealth for public comment. The Climbing Wall Association believes these regulations may have eventual negative consequences for the climbing industry nationally.
The CWA has continued to work on the regulatory process underway in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The CWA drafted and submitted recommendations for revisions to the amusement regulations in writing to the Department of Public safety regarding the regulation of climbing facilities. Our aim was to introduce reasonable measures in the licensure and inspection process for climbing facilities if they were to be regarded as amusement venues in the Commonwealth. Unfortunately, very few meaningful concessions were granted to climbing gyms and facilities through this process.

The Massachusetts Department of Public Safety (DPS) intends to regulate artificial climbing structures and challenge courses, in all settings, as amusements in the Commonwealth as of September 1st, 2006. The CWA opposes this regulatory approach. Initially, this date was set at April 1st, 2006 but a coalition of organizations, including the CWA, was effective in postponing this deadline pending revision of the Massachusetts amusement regulations.

The CWA, in cooperation with the ACCT, Massachusetts YMCA's, Project Adventure and other organizations, has been working on alternative legislation and regulations to license climbing facilities outside of the amusement arena. We intend to introduce this alternative licensing statute this legislative session. We feel it is very important that climbing facilities used as sporting venues are not considered amusements.

The Department of Public Safety has advised us that there will be a meeting of the Massachusetts Amusement Advisory Board on Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 10:00 a.m. to discuss the recently revised regulations concerning challenge courses and artificial climbing structures. This hearing is the first step towards promulgating the regulations by the target date of September 1, 2006 and this meeting is intended to provide a public forum for comment.

The Department of Public Safety will hold at least one additional public hearing in the coming months prior to promulgating the revised amusement regulations.

According to CWA, it will be very important for the indoor climbing community to have a strong presence at this public hearing, and any future public hearings regarding this matter. At this point, we believe only strong public pressure and a large turn out of those affected: builders, facility owners and managers, and climbers will move the DPS to promulgate more reasonable, less costly regulations for our industry.

Partner wideguy

May 25, 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #2 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Re: Massachusetts to increase regulation of climbing walls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All his in response to a girl who died on a stupid INFLATABLE climbing wall with velcro hand and footholds.... :roll:

gordo

May 25, 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #3 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:roll: Amusements :?: ....typical crap, gotta hate the New England mindset. Almost as bad as CA. Can we please regulate farting? It really bothers me. :D

salamanizer

May 26, 2006, 1:12 AM
Post #4 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^
No sh!t! Just wait until they start regulating there regulations...oh wait, they already do that. NE and MA is the mecca for this liberal bullsh!t. At least out here in CA we have a few people running around with some common sense. Natural selection is "natural", lets stop saving the idiots from themselves for "our" sake.

notch

May 26, 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #5 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
:roll: Amusements :?: ....typical crap, gotta hate the New England mindset. Almost as bad as CA. Can we please regulate farting? It really bothers me. :D

I'd amend that just slightly. I'm not sure that it's a New England mindset, I think some folks from NH or ME would probably (and rightfully) disagree. However, I'm quite certain that it is an Eastern Massachusetts mindset. Regardless, I'd be curious to know what the language in the bill is that the Climbing Wall Association disagrees with, and how that would effect the gyms in their day to day operations. Any gym owners/employees have any idea? In retrospect, maybe this should be in the climbing gym forum.

Partner sevrdhed

May 26, 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #6 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I understand (I think) what the law is going to do tecnically, classify climbing gyms as amusements instead of sporting venues. But, wtf does that mean? Are we going to have to buy tickets and stand in lines for routes now? Are we going to have silly side-games to play, and cotton candy to eat? Hotdog stands? Arcade games? Bumper cars?

This actually sounds pretty sweet!

Steve

tylore66

May 26, 2006, 1:02 PM
Post #7 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a Mass resident this does not remotely surprise me. The reality is that this is not about protecting the public or anything as noble as that. Its all about revenues and finding new and inventive ways to bend the consumer over financially.

I wouldnt be surprised if they put legislation in place that would require outdoor climbers to register with the state and show proof at the crags. For a nominal fee of course.

Sad

Partner wideguy

May 26, 2006, 1:41 PM
Post #8 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For anyone who's interested you can get a copy of the draft documentin PDF form here

It deals with all the usual permitting and inspection crap, background check of employees, insurance requirements. I don't see anywhere in the 55 pages any mention of climbing gyms and other permanent indoor structures. It's all about the protable, inflatable and temporary stuff.

And after these two incidents it's hardly surprising new legislation was coming for the amusement industry.
In reply to:
Inflatable rental company cited in rock wall death
(Friday, December 2, 2005) - A Massachusetts amusement rental company and one of its employees have been cited in connection with the death of a woman who fell from an inflatable rock climbing wall in May. The Massachusetts Department of Public Safety reported that the company, Just For Fun Rentals of Danvers, failed to get licenses and permits for the structure, failed to train employees to use it properly, and failed to give those employees the users manual. State officials say that the employee who was guiding the victim as she scaled the wall failed to follow the manufacturer's instructions.
In reply to:
Jaro maintenance worker pleads guilty in Massachusetts Sizzler death
(Wednesday, March 15, 2006) - Former Jaro Amusements ride supervisor and maintenance manager Brian McCullough pleaded guilty to a charge of involuntary manslaughter in the death of a man who fell out of a Sizzler amusement ride when his car fell apart at a Massachusetts church carnival in 2004. Investigators determined that the accident was a result of loose and undersized nuts and bolts that held the victim's seat together. Prosecutors said that McCullough failed to ensure that the ride was maintained properly. McCullough was sentenced to 2 1/2 years of probation.

robbovius

May 26, 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #9 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Fucking mouth-breathing Okie , WTF do you know about the "New England Mindset".

Obvoiusly, you're too stupid to realize that the handful of politicians attempting to respond, legislatively, to these traveling carnival amusement park deaths don't actually speak for the climbing populace at large, or even the "eastern massachusetts" population at large.

Fucking imbecile.

gefunk

May 26, 2006, 3:01 PM
Post #10 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am from Maine and this is the exact feeling I have for unusually aggressive, mass-whole's like the man in the post above. Don't get me wrong I love flatulence, climbing and beating on things like any other man but damn the whole of mass has got some anger issues that they need to iron out. Oh yeah and their driving is...well..appalling. Granted I think the bill is dumb and being from the political arena it won't go through cause frankly no one will give a damn about it.

Partner wideguy

May 26, 2006, 3:30 PM
Post #11 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but damn the whole of mass has got some anger issues that they need to iron out. Oh yeah and their driving is...well..appalling.

No issue. We're all pissed off so we blend well with each other. It's only when the tourists try to mingle that we have a problem. Stay in Maine and we'll both be happy. Same with the driving. If you wanna come here and drive like you do at home, DON'T!! Boston Briving is "survival of the aggressive." Don't like it stay off of our cow paths. :twisted: :wink:

gordo

May 26, 2006, 3:40 PM
Post #12 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

f---ing mouth-breathing Okie , WTF do you know about the "New England Mindset".
Obvoiusly, you're too stupid to realize that the handful of politicians attempting to respond, legislatively, to these traveling carnival amusement park deaths don't actually speak for the climbing populace at large, or even the "eastern massachusetts" population at large.

f---ing imbecile.

Too many years in Norfolk, Springfield, Pitsfield, and Malone NY....All of my relatives are New Englanders. Basically, if it moves, breaths, or is enjoyable, it's regulated. :D

I don't care about the "traveling amusements", it's the sporting walls that need to stay out of the governments hands. It's not my problem, I stay in middle (sane) America. No, I don't think everyone on the East and West coast is nuts (Yes, I lived West as well, SF and San Diego)...just the vocal majority who make the rules :D

robbovius...you should join the world of the decent conversant humans...spaying and throwing around words that shouldn't be spoken in mixed company, and name calling, is just so high school.

robbovius

May 26, 2006, 3:52 PM
Post #13 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

f---ing mouth-breathing Okie , WTF do you know about the "New England Mindset".

f---ing imbecile.

Too many years in Norfolk, Springfield, Pitsfield, and Malone NY....All of my relatives are New Englanders. Basically, if it moves, breaths, or is enjoyable, it's regulated. :D

...which is the job of the government. that's what they are supposed to do. Doesn't the oklahoma state government regulate your amusement parks for the safety of the mouthbreathing numbskulls, or recreational land use to protect it from the mouth breathing hordes?

In reply to:
No, I don't think everyone on the East and West coast is nuts
then, why the FUCK, sir, did you imply that they were? why did you make a blanket statement implying that everyone in New England adopted a stereotypical mindset that is purely born of a negative ideal that you personally adhere to?

In reply to:
just the vocal majority who make the rules :D

duuuuuuuuuuhhhhh. it's NOT A MAJORITY.

In reply to:
robbovius...you should join the world of the decent conversant humans...spaying and throwing around words that shouldn't be spoken in mixed company, and name calling, is just so high school.

again, you are obviously not quite bright enough to understand that I was parodying your stereotypification of the imagined "New England Mindset" with a made-up stereotypification of my own, of "Mouth Breathing Okies"...

...which by virtue of your reply, I will assume only applies in your individual case. :twisted:

robbovius

May 26, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #14 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am from Maine...

yeah yeah yeah, whatevuh...

dude, wake up, Gordope lumped you in with me and wideguy and notch and everyone else in "New England" as though we were members of some kind of hypnotized groupthink clone farm.

Feel bad for him, as he lives in Okla-fucking-homa, which, compared to our verdant, rolling New England hills with nary a straight road to be found, is a flat, desolate hell. Why, you have Acadia! We're all jealous, thereby.

wonderwoman

May 26, 2006, 4:09 PM
Post #15 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This news is coming almost exactly 1 yr to the day of the accident at an inflatable wall at a concert. The woman got to the top and asked how to get down. The teenage boy belaying said 'let go and I'll lower you'. When she let go, she fell straight down, bounced off the inflatable base and landed on her head. Here is the thread:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1108236#1108236

Her sister is from Lynn, MA and sent me a PM after this happened. She died on her birthday. This story really stuck with me.

jumaringjeff

May 26, 2006, 4:09 PM
Post #16 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

gordo, after making blanket statements that are accusatory and derogatory in nature, how can you not expect some level of hostility in response? perhaps you should think a little more before offering your opinion. this is the internet, you can read what you type before you 'say' it. i suggest you take advantage of that nice feature.

you say most of your relatives are New Englanders. well guess what? you just threw them all under the bus, genius. i assume you're not very close with any of them.

faeiry

May 26, 2006, 5:07 PM
Post #17 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wonderwoman strikes again!

Thank you so much for taking the high road and expressing emotional intelligence on an issue that is neither black nor white and very tragic/charged. I hope to run into you for a climb some day....you seem to get "it".
Lots of love to this young woman's family.

Om shanti shanti shanti.

Partner wideguy

May 26, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #18 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting back on topic, despite my ribbing them, Gordo et al are right. we don't need more legislation. The wall the girl died on was supposed to be licensed. It wasn't. It was supposed to be inspected and permitted. It wasn't. The operators were supposed to be trained. They weren't.

If you read the 55 pages of legislation you find that nothing has changed that would have prevented the fatality. The only possible change is IF the inspector had known, he might have recommended the attraction be set up further from the curb. (It was actually her bouncing off the apron and striking her head on the edge of the curbstone that was fatal) but that's about it and THAT law was already in place.

Fact is that if you read the legislation, this is clearly aimed at the mobile "trailer type" walls, "Confidence courses" and other non climbing amusements. Your local gym really has little to fear as most of them are already insured, inspected and employ trained staff.

notch

May 26, 2006, 6:19 PM
Post #19 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Om shanti shanti shanti.

:boring:

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook