Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Access to Castle Hills
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

xuehui

Jun 4, 2006, 7:11 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2533 views)
Shortcut

Access to Castle Hills  (Australasia: New_Zealand: Canterbury: Castle_Hill_Basin)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My husband and I are planning to go climbing at Castle Hills in October...does anyone know if access is available all year round? Or do we need to get permission of any sort before I go?

Does anyone know where's the best place to stay around that area.....(not camping) .....Thanks!

sbaclimber

Jun 5, 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2533 views)
Shortcut

Re: Access to Castle Hills [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

....Castle Hill = singular :wink:

This post will give you some idea of the general access issues at Castle Hill. As far as being there in October, yes, Flock Hill *may* be closed for lambing, but that should be easy enough to find out simply by sending an email. Quantum and Spittle will still be open.

Exactly what do you mean by "around that area"?? Your best bet, price for value, would probably be to stay in a backpackers in Christchurch (1hr away), or maybe the inn in Springfield (~20min away).

xuehui

Jun 5, 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Sbaclimber....heee yes I did finally figure out that it was Castle Hill and not Hills......
Thanks for the information...as long as one bouldering area is open that's fine for us.....and we have found our accomodation..probably staying either at Flock Hill Lodge or somewhere near Arthur's Pass.....that's not too far is it?
Once again appreciate your reply!

sbaclimber

Jun 5, 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks Sbaclimber....heee yes I did finally figure out that it was Castle Hill and not Hills......
Thanks for the information...as long as one bouldering area is open that's fine for us.....and we have found our accomodation..probably staying either at Flock Hill Lodge or somewhere near Arthur's Pass.....that's not too far is it?
Once again appreciate your reply!
Glad to be of service. No, Arthur's Pass isn't far, 20-30min drive.

aussieclimbingfreak

Jun 6, 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If there is a group of you going the Castle Hill Village is by far the best option- 5 mins drive (TOPS) from the boudler fields.... Plus Arthurs Pass is pretty expensive as its touristy (their internet cafe's are a rort!) but it is an excellent place! For a rest day, cruise across to the west coast and check out Greymouth and Hokitika... You can pick up the obligitory jade necklace in hokitika and greymouth has coin operated showers n laundry (altho, you wont need them as you wont be camping) Wicked drive tho

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook