RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

rhaig

Jun 8, 2006, 9:51 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2295 views)
Shortcut

just starting out.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did a couple of searches and didn't find suggestions... thus the new thread.

I'm just getting interested in slacklining. I've got 2 trees in my front yard about 30' apart, and I've rigged a line between them (following advice and diagrams found here). That (based on other advice seen here) is way too far apart to learn on, and I'm going to build a small A-Frame to put between the trees and push out to have a longer line as I get better.

My question (finally) is what kind of technique should I use for learning? I've considered setting tension and or line height to start in the middle on the ground and walk towards the anchor. I've considered running a cheater line above the slack line and holding on to that to help balance (don't like that idea though much as holding the cheater will make me not use one arm for balance).

what other things can I do to speed the learning curve?

biffjr

Jun 9, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Re: just starting out. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Practice Practice Practice just lots of practice!!! Good luck with your new found obsession.. :twisted:
-Biffjr

weasel

Jun 9, 2006, 1:05 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Practice Practice Practice just lots of practice!!!

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I learned by setting up a second rope/line above my head directly over the slackline. Not sure if it's the best method, but it worked.

Also, and you can do this without a balance line, set up like a 8 or 10 foot slackline. Hell, 6 if you really suck. But try to get your bearings on a smaller one and work your way up to the biggies. Just don't forget to push yourself with this method though.

Good luck, and don't rack yourself!

niles

Jun 9, 2006, 4:05 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't do too short of lines. 30 feet is a good line to learn on, I think. I also wouldn't use any "cheater" methods. You can recover from some pretty wicked leans, but if you've got something to grab onto you'll never learn to fight for your balance. Well, not "never", but I think it retards the learning process.

Learn to balance on one foot at a time, using your other three appendages for balance. Do the left leg, then the get down, do the right leg, and so on until you can stand on each leg for 10+ seconds without falling. Then start switching while you're on the line (your first step). Keep doing that, holding the single leg stand for as long as you can/want, then switch to the other foot without coming down. That's how I trick people into walking. It's really just moving from one balance position to the next. You'll be cruisin' in no time.

P.S. when you're learning to stand on one foot, make sure you commit to leaning in the direction of that foot. i.e. if you're left foot is on the line, lean more to the left.

rhaig

Jun 9, 2006, 2:09 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wouldn't do too short of lines. 30 feet is a good line to learn on, I think. I also wouldn't use any "cheater" methods. You can recover from some pretty wicked leans, but if you've got something to grab onto you'll never learn to fight for your balance. Well, not "never", but I think it retards the learning process.

Learn to balance on one foot at a time, using your other three appendages for balance. Do the left leg, then the get down, do the right leg, and so on until you can stand on each leg for 10+ seconds without falling. Then start switching while you're on the line (your first step). Keep doing that, holding the single leg stand for as long as you can/want, then switch to the other foot without coming down. That's how I trick people into walking. It's really just moving from one balance position to the next. You'll be cruisin' in no time.

P.S. when you're learning to stand on one foot, make sure you commit to leaning in the direction of that foot. i.e. if you're left foot is on the line, lean more to the left.

That sounds like a good start. I found I could stand on one foot on the line for about a second. Probably how long it took me to complete the falling process, but I can see how that would be a good way to learn.

thanks. (I think I am going to a-frame the line to shorten it a bit though)

a300600st

Jun 11, 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I started out my friends set it up so that there was a tree with a branch sticking out near the line at about arms level. Then I would walk out until my arm was fully extended but still touching the branch and then I would just step away. It took quite a few tries but I eventually got it and now I'm doing pretty good. Plus being able to start on the anchor is a good skill to have.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 11, 2006, 3:53 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you haven't already read them I have a collection of tips at:

http://www.slacklineexpress.com/tips.htm

bahandi

Jun 12, 2006, 4:17 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just started out myself, accomplished my first 10 foot line and made it halfway walking backwards... so cool.

my cousins were so amazed 'cause i just bought the line on friday. can't wait to get to longer lines.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook