RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cjsimpso

Jun 8, 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #1 of 3 (171 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Dar Es Salaam
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be taking a two-week trip to the city of Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania this summer (with longer follow-up trips in the coming years), and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good climbing in the immediate area. I'm well aware of the mountain ranges in the back country and surrounding region, but I'm not going to be able to venture more than a taxi ride out of the city during this particular visit. I'm aware how limited this leaves me, but I'm hopeful that someone might have some suggestions anyway. Also, I don't believe I will be able to take much gear, so bouldering info or a contact with a local climber would be really appreciated.
Or perhaps I'm just due for two weeks of rest. We'll see.

CJS

tradclmbr

Jun 8, 2006, 1:42 PM
Post #2 of 3 (171 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Dar Es Salaam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive lived and worked in Kenya for a long time and in Western Tanzania with frequent travel to Dar for a short-time. For cragging - Kenya is the spot: great local spots near Nairobi (Leukenya, Frog....and even Hell's gate for climbing in a game park - beautiful way to see giraffee!).

Dar itself is really low-lying, sandy and extremely humid much of the year. Its an amazing amazing city for so many reasons - the magic mix of arab-africa. But climbing (to my knowledge) is non-exitant. In Kigoma (on lake tanganika far to your west) there is definately some bouldering. I was there doing work in some refugee camps and would take breaks from data analysis to boulder.

Bottom line is Dar has more than enough to keep you fascinated (I knew a guy who kayaked from Dar to Zanzibar........very scary once you see how rough a ride that is) - just not climbing (believe me if there is climbing of any sort Ill get on it - Sudan, Uganda, southern Ethiopia, you name it). If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Warning: Dar is inordinately expensive for the region! A $100 hotel there is midrange wheres in Nairobi youd be living really well!

Partner phaedrus

Jun 10, 2006, 5:36 AM
Post #3 of 3 (171 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook