Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

echo

Jun 18, 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #1 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

kinda OT: Your favorite backpacking stove
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What do you use and why? Simple as that. I want to know which stove you use, and why do you or don't you like it?

Cheers,
Jonas

ecjohnson

Jun 18, 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #2 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Re: kinda OT: Your favorite backpacking stove [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MSR Whisperlite. No questions. It's easy to maintainence. And if you really know how to use it, you can simmer on really low heat. And it's cheap compared to all of the fancier stoves. That all outweighs in my mind, the need for some super-light tiny stove.

reno

Jun 18, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #3 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
MSR Whisperlite. No questions. It's easy to maintainence. And if you really know how to use it, you can simmer on really low heat. And it's cheap compared to all of the fancier stoves. That all outweighs in my mind, the need for some super-light tiny stove.

Agreed, though I'm not having much luck with the simmer thing. Only approach I found that works is to wrap the windscreen foil kinda tight, set my pan on top of that, and hope the whole damn thing doesn't fall.

Otherwise, I wouldn't trade my Wisperlite for anything. 'Cept maybe the International version. :)

duppyc

Jun 19, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #4 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you going to be going to REALLY, REALLY remote places and cannot find a can of isobutane, then the whisperlite is surely the best...hands down. I own one and like it. However, due to the fact that most of my backpacking is weekend trips that start in, or go through, some city or area that has an outdoor shop that sells isobutane the MSR Pocket Rocket is the best. Fits in your pocket, very adjustable, has a sweet plastic case and is very easy on the budget. I have not used my Whisperlite since I got this stove.

wings

Jun 19, 2006, 1:08 AM
Post #5 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brunton Optimus Nova. Very reliable and efficient. Burns everything. Maintenance is minimal. Simmers well.

I prefer liquid fuel stoves. Only drawback is the weight (and some convenience), but there are plenty of advantages.

- Seyil

irockclimb

Jun 19, 2006, 1:28 AM
Post #6 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a MSR SuperFly. Only backpacking stove i have ever owned. Works great for weekend trips. Uses the non refillable gas canisters. Boils water pretty quickly. Works great for me :) Hope this helped

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 19, 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #7 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You didn't say for what use - if you arne't using it in the winter and aren't traveling internationally where canisters aren't available it changes the options a lot.

For typical use I love my Jet boil - it is however not much of a winter stove.

gosharks

Jun 19, 2006, 2:21 AM
Post #8 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get the MSR pocket rocket when you can get the Snow Peak Gigapower. The SP is about the same price, has an optional starter for $10 more, and is much more sturdy at the same weight. It also has a far better support system and burn pattern.

feanor007

Jun 19, 2006, 2:29 AM
Post #9 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've loved my pocket rocket, i'm sure there are better/lighter now, but it was a gift 6 years ago, and has been bomber ever since.

roadman33

Jun 19, 2006, 2:37 AM
Post #10 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MSR pocket rocket or even better the super fly.

traveling internationally no problem. I've found gas canisters everywhere, from Patagonia to SE Asia, wake up it's a global economy. The only problems I see with these stoves are that they are bad for the earth (lot's of waste), they have poor fuel economy (they burn gas a lot faster than White gas stoves). As far as maintenance they have so few parts what could go wrong? I've used only MRS stoves, all of them at one time or another and just like the canister stoves better cause they are easy.

dutyje

Jun 19, 2006, 2:52 AM
Post #11 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another vote for the Pocket Rocket. As was mentioned, you need to specify the use. The Pocket Rocket satisfies my backpacking needs, which are all in NC warm weather. Also, I was envious of my friend's Gigapower until he had trouble with his starter just 6 months after he bought it. If I had it to do over, I'd still get the Pocket Rocket.

sthcrag510

Jun 19, 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #12 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im a big fan of the Primus Techno Trail. I love it. Its got a self lighter plus it packs down really small and it isn't overly heavy

ecjohnson

Jun 19, 2006, 5:06 AM
Post #13 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Agreed, though I'm not having much luck with the simmer thing. Only approach I found that works is to wrap the windscreen foil kinda tight, set my pan on top of that, and hope the whole damn thing doesn't fall.

You can depressurize the system. Let it prime like normal, and then turn the stove off, and unscrew the pump, and let the air out. Screw it back in and pump it just a few times, and it burns really low. And you can raise it as well. Wrap the windscreen a little tighter, and then bend the edge in just a few places in towards the stove in the middle, creating little V's in the top edge of the screen. it creates a lot more rigidity than having just the circle of the windscreen. Let me know if you want pics.

wyrdrocks

Jun 19, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #14 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my MSR Whipserlite International. Its small, light and I have used kerosene in it before. Still can't get ahold of the simmer trick, but I used it while on the Pacific Crest Trail for a month and it was great.

salamanizer

Jun 19, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #15 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whisperlite for sure. It was the first stove I ever had. I've been through several stoves over the years and when they broke.....it was back to the ol Whisperlite. Its beat to shit, been thrown around in every bag, bin and box I own and has never clogged once. It works as well as the day I got it more than fifteen years ago.

weasel

Jun 19, 2006, 6:13 AM
Post #16 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I use an XGK. One of the older ones, not that new model with the folding pot stand.
Personally, I love the thing because you can put ANY fuel through it. I've boiled water with yak oil. true story. It takes the most different fuels out of any stove on the market, and it'll never fail you. It's just about bare-bones as you can get, and pretty much a tank.

But I've heard awsome things about the whisperlite international too, check it out.

And you CAN simmer with the XGK, despite what people say. I do it all the time.

mhabicht

Jun 19, 2006, 6:38 AM
Post #17 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm. My fave is the giga power for sure- better burn than the pocket rocket and the flame adjusts much better.

BUT- If Have to melt snow- XGK or Whisperlite- hate the dragon fly!!

BUT- if you want to save weight go make yourself a pepsi can stove and just boil 3 cups of water- 1 for a drink 2 for your instant meal all for under 2oz. With climbing gear that weighs 20+ lbs its nice to have a total pack that still weighs just about 35lbs- thats 15 lbs of food/fuel/bag/tarp-tent/clothes etc all for 15 lbs, it takes time to learn how to do that... Im down to 20 just to go back packing for 3-4days. A friend of mine is down to 12!!! CRAZY!! Thats a "dry" pack of 5 lbs bag/tarp/stove/etc then the other 7 is food and water!!!

just a thought.... we should all learn to combo ultra light style with climbing to shed pounds- makes it easier to carry that #5 cam around.

-m

soulslight

Jun 19, 2006, 7:52 AM
Post #18 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wanted to have a stove i can use anywhere in the world, even in remote places in india, where you get bad kerosin, but also one i may run with isobutangas. for me it is important that it it has an easy maintainence and will live for a long time. So i bought the primus omni fuel. it`s not as small as the pocket rocket and more expenhessive than the whisperlite, but way more reliable and easier to maintaine and it burns everything from isobutan and whitegas to petroleum and kerosin. though it`s a bit loud, i must say, the simmering is really easy, because of the two simmers, one for the stove and one for the fuel.

dr_feelgood

Jun 19, 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #19 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whisperlite international... haven't used it much, it is in TX and i am not, but a great stove for the little i have used it... and it was on sale!

Partner heiko

Jun 19, 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #20 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wanted to have a stove i can use anywhere in the world, even in remote places in india, where you get bad kerosin, but also one i may run with isobutangas. for me it is important that it it has an easy maintainence and will live for a long time. So i bought the primus omni fuel. it`s not as small as the pocket rocket and more expenhessive than the whisperlite, but way more reliable and easier to maintaine and it burns everything from isobutan and whitegas to petroleum and kerosin. though it`s a bit loud, i must say, the simmering is really easy, because of the two simmers, one for the stove and one for the fuel.

Our mutual friend S. broke one of the nozzles of her omnifuel on her road-trip without treating it particularly badly. The quality is not very convincing I would say, especially because this stove is among the most expensive in the market... I don't want to end up with a broken plastic part somewhere, and I also don't want to take a second stove for spare parts. :(

Partner euroford

Jun 19, 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #21 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uh, jetboil.

havn't touched my primus or msr jobbers since i got that thing.

rhythm164

Jun 19, 2006, 1:23 PM
Post #22 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MSR Windpro-It's light,small, cartridge mount, quick boil time, easy too use & clean, plus has a wind screen, and heat deflector. Taa-daa.

brokenankle

Jun 19, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #23 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For general backpacking I use my DIY V8 can stove. It will bring two cups to a boil in about 5 minutes, weighs in around 0.5 ounce, and packs easily with windscreen and pot stand inside of my cook pot. I burn denatured alcohol but lots of other fuels will work too. Since I made a few of these things, my old wisper light hardly ever comes out the storage box.
Did i mention it only costs the price of two beer cans or two V8 cans?
But the biggest perk is the sound it makes, its practically silent compared to a jet boil, wisper light, pocket rocket, etc. If you have ever been around a camp when several wisper lights are going at the same time you know what i mean.

a_guy_named_smith

Jun 19, 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #24 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i used the MSR firefly for 15 years never had a problem- loved it! It saw a ton of use and is still kicking

it got downsized by a shiny new XGK that my girlfriend lets me play with.
Yak oil, sweet! things to add to the list.

the thing i loved about both of these is the SIMMER
simmer on a whisperlight-uh, as a bit of a foodie, NO. nope, not close

simmer is good if you like to cook and you can do all kinds of cool things with them. If you dont like to cook, and just want a stove to boil water get something else.

sure these stoves are loud compared to the whisperlight, but it helps to drown out annoying comments made by whisperlight owners as they curse their stoves for not being able to simmer

also i had a good experience with one of the new Jetboil stoves

spinney

Jun 19, 2006, 3:20 PM
Post #25 of 41 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My MSR Whisperlite International is my workhorse stove when it's winter or I will need to boil large quantities of water.

However, my Esbit Wing stove has become my ultralight backpacking stove of choice, and it's part of my "outdoor essentials" kit (first aid, TP, bug dope, headlamp, map/compass, rain gear) It burns solid fuel tabs, so it's only good for boiling water. At 3 oz for the stove and a handful of fuel tabs in a package smaller than a deck of cards, my Esbit Wing never leaves my pack.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook