Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

phazer

Jun 19, 2006, 7:33 AM
Post #26 of 32 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Re: Scary Falls Anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

26 footer on Bolted Bones in the ironically called "Flying is fun" crag in Warerfall Boven South Africa. My biggest fall yet.

ninja_climber

Jun 19, 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #27 of 32 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummm yesterday lol...

I was climbing a 7+ wall with really techy feet. Anyways, I step on this tiny flake while clipping and it blows...I fall about 10m slam my face in the damn wall. On the way down I see blood flying everywhere and I'm thinking ...its over my brain is somewhere above me and my face looks like raw meat... Fortunatly all I did was bloody my nose from both nostrils....

I had another fall on an overhang about 3 months ago where I made the noobie mistake of steppng over the rope...Well I fall about 6m and have this massice ropeburn(which is still clearly visible) on my right leg. From the left side of ankle up to behind my knee all across my calf..

maxtrax

Aug 2, 2006, 4:03 AM
Post #28 of 32 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm after reading two pages worth of falls mine seem pretty tame comparatively. Scariest one was definitely my first lead fall - I dynoed for a hold about a body length above the bolt, hit it perfectly and then watched it crumble to nothing in my hand, really I was more scared about hitting my belayer with broken chunks of rock than falling a few feet.

Probably my second scariest fall was on Jeff and the Giant Reach in squamish. The crux move is a big reach traversing left to a layback, until I worked out a super funky sequence I had to move dynamically for the layback and the first try my feet popped as I was going for it, my fingers hit it but I couldn't stick it so I fell leaning past horizontal to my right, and swinging to the right I don't know whether I was more scared from seeing my uphill hip pop out of my harness or the potential for swinging headfirst into the wall. Being a stupid sporto I cinched down my waist belt until I could barely breath and got the move on the third try.

Funny enough both of these falls were only about 3m + rope stretch, I've taken a few 7m+ falls and they didn't really scare me at all.

gunkiemike

Aug 2, 2006, 9:40 PM
Post #29 of 32 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More of a close call. I was out of sequence and off balance at the second bolt of some 6a along the France-Belgium border. I came off quite by surprise and as I fell past the first bolt, I landed *on the rope* (straddling it) as it ran back to my belayer who was out 10 ft or so from the rock. The hit on the rope caused him to step forward a bit, and as he did I slid down the taught rope. When I stopped and was on the ground I waited for the searing pain that I knew was coming. And waited. And waited. And it wasn't coming. Later I saw the melted glaze on my harness leg loop and realized that I rode the leg loop down the rope. I had lycra tights on and they were also burned through, but I was absolutely unscathed. :shock:

dfrb26dett

Aug 2, 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #30 of 32 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"lycra tights"

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

catbird_seat

Aug 2, 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #31 of 32 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My worst sport fall wasn't my scariest fall, that was a trad fall, but this was scary enough. I was leading what I later found was a poorly bolted route on Amazonia Wall at Exit 38 called Radioactive Decay. The route starts off a ledge about 6 ft off the ground. The first bolt was 7 feet off the ledge, the second was 4 feet above that. The third bolt was at least 10 ft beyond the second with a horrible clip stance. I made the mistake of trying to clip from the side. I had 3-4 extra feet of rope out, blew the clip and fell.

I looked down at the ledge as it rushed towards me, I'm thinking I'd hit it. I went past it. Before I can hit the dirt, I am flipped around so I am facing up. I come to a stop in a horizontal position 3 feet from the ground suspended alongside my belayer who had been pulled up. He said he'd reeled in about 3 feet! Had I fallen in a vertical orientation, I might have broken my legs.

I hadn't imagined before this that one could actually take a 25 footer on a sport route. I'd always thought of the second clip being the critical one. Live and learn.

JackAttack

Oct 16, 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #32 of 32 (1118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wish_i_was_climbing] Scary Falls Anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alright this one didn't really happen to me but I was told the story several times and saw a video of it. So the guy is about 80 feet up a trad route and 10 feet past his last placement, and he reaches up for his next hold, not a real hard move but with tiny footholds and he just falls off. He falls around 20 feet and at first it looked like his placement held but then it just popped out and he fell down another 15 feet or so, and then that piece popped, and he ended up with all his protection popped off about 8 feet off the ground, and the only thing that caught the rope was a tiny flake the rope somehow got wedged in about 20 feet above him. the funny thing is the way he tells the story. he's very hippyish and he always says how he just had complete acceptence that he would die after his second piece ripped out.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook