RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

chouca

Jun 28, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #1 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Hydration Packs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Doe's anybody have any recommendations? I'm looking for a pack with JUST enough room for descent shoes, 3-4 liters of water, light rain gear, lunch, and a small first aid kit that also fits great for all day multipitch climbing.

Thanks,
Marc B.

brokenankle

Jun 28, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #2 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Hydration Packs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The black diamond bullet pack is my favorite. For multipitch it will hold my sandals, water, small first aid, food, etc. Or it will hold my 9.7 60m rope, but not much else. The pack is burly, has a hydration port/sleeve, and is comfortable while climbing. This pack is the real deal.

Partner csgambill

Jun 28, 2006, 6:19 PM
Post #3 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the CamelBak M.U.L.E. It works pretty well. Although it may be a little tight on space for all you're suggesting. I prefer to rap off routes so I generally leave my shoes at the base of the climb. Without shoes it has room for the rest of the gear you're suggesting. IMO if the pack were any larger it would be more trouble than it's worth, my rack is big enough, I don't want to haul any more weight with me than I have to.

http://images.rei.com/media/618211.jpg $80.00 at REI

hemp22

Jun 28, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #4 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.grivelnorthamerica.com/...oducts/prod_68_1.jpg
http://www.grivelnorthamerica.com/...ucts.php?gid=8&id=68

Grivel Manu - $50.
holds a 3L H2O bladder, sandals, food, jacket, etc. and it has built in gear loops on the shoulder straps (which can be detached to make a gear sling).

joshy8200

Jun 28, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #5 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39157103&memberId=12500226

Campmor has the Mule pack for $60.

bernard

Jun 28, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #6 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

can you rack gear under the arms with the Manu......or just on the chest-mounted gear loops? The product photos didn't make it clear.

sspssp

Jun 28, 2006, 8:01 PM
Post #7 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
can you rack gear under the arms with the Manu......or just on the chest-mounted gear loops? The product photos didn't make it clear.

Not sure what you mean. The "strap" that goes from the back to the front under the arms can be used for gear racking.

I love the concept behind this pack. However, for a pack that is obviously marketed to climbers, it is not durable. I hung the pack below me while doing a 60 feet chimney. One chimney was enough to shred the pack. I bought another, but I'm very careful about what climbs I take it on and I try to never drag it against the rock.

I also have the BD bullet pack. Simple but does the job and has been durable so far.

granite_grrl

Jun 28, 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #8 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used both the Mule and the Bullet. The bullet is more streamlined, but you may enjoy the extra compartments in the Mule (nice for snacks, finding the guide book etc). The other thing I prefer about the Mule is that it comes with and is designed for carrying a water bladder. My 2L platapus bladder flops around in the Bullet.

If I can get away with it my favorite pack to carry while climbing is my 4 or 5L hydration pack. After you put the bladder in it there's only enough room for sunscreen, a little bit of food, a light shirt and maybe the guide book. The shoes have to be strapped on the outside. They don't sell the pack I have anymore though.

maracas

Jun 28, 2006, 9:10 PM
Post #9 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a mule and a bullet, the bullet cannot hold the 3L bladder of the mule inside its compartment.

Both will do, but remember the bullet does not come with a bladder. A lot of the price of the mule is the bladder.

With the mule you can always attach the shoes via a carabiner to the gear loop it has (if your runners have a loop at the heel).

Remember the bullet has no compression straps so if it is not full it moves around, and the mule is always tight (except for the shoes which move around).

I use the Mule for sport multipitching and the bullet for everything else.

kiwijason

Jun 28, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #10 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go the hollowpoint, bit bigger than the bullet, has a sleeve that will take a 3l insulated camelbak bladder, has a compartment for a guide book, some loops for gear on the back
http://www.bdel.com/gear/hollowpoint.php
I really like this bag and I have bought many in the search for the right one.

wjca

Jun 28, 2006, 9:29 PM
Post #11 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my Lowe Alpine Attack 20.

Its even on sale at mgear for $59.

http://www.mgear.com/...m_101007_s04_red.jpg

rmoxygen

Jun 28, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #12 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I use the CamelBak M.U.L.E. It works pretty well. Although it may be a little tight on space for all you're suggesting. I prefer to rap off routes so I generally leave my shoes at the base of the climb. Without shoes it has room for the rest of the gear you're suggesting. IMO if the pack were any larger it would be more trouble than it's worth, my rack is big enough, I don't want to haul any more weight with me than I have to.

http://images.rei.com/media/618211.jpg $80.00 at REI

I'd have to agree. I've been a biker for way longer than a climber, and used about a half dozen hydration packs. If you go any bigger it almost defeats the purpose of the pack. It fits really well even after you've drank half the water and is one of the comfiest and most secure hydration packs I've used.

Partner kimgraves

Jun 28, 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #13 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

While I risk the rathe of Heiko...

If you can holdout, you might want to wait until this fall when Crackers brings out his spectra line of Cilogear worksacks. I've had the same problem about what to carry as a second on a multipitch. How much I want to carry depends upon the conditions and I hadn't been able to find a pack that would compress up and down. But the worksacks will. I was going to get the 30L when Graham showed me swatches of the spectra fabric he's going to be using in the new line. Really interesting stuff. Some so sheer you could see through it. But so tough that we couldn't tear a larger hole after stabbing it with a pen. And the mid-level stuff is just bomber and very light.

I'm waiting for the 30L spectra due at the end of the summer. Graham told me that the prices will be "reasonable".

Best, Kim

td

Jun 29, 2006, 1:02 AM
Post #14 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I climbed Starlight Buttress last year there was another party at the base. The night before one of them had told me how bomber his water pouch was. He sat on his hydration pack at the first ledge and it popped open, ensuring he would have a wet, thirsty day.
They bailed.

hummerchine

Jun 29, 2006, 5:20 AM
Post #15 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the Bbee. I have quite the assortment of hydration packs, and this is my favorite. Super light, just the right size, comfortable, simple. Buy a 3L Platypus bladder for it, also super light. The make another pack a bit bigger and heavier too, don't remember the name.

trapdoor

Jun 29, 2006, 5:25 AM
Post #16 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lowe alpine attack 20. Is the bomb. I hope they never stop making them.

elnero

Jun 29, 2006, 5:42 AM
Post #17 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest TNF hammerhead. its slightly larger than the mule and has a few features on it that convinced me to get it over the mule. I was looking for a pack for mtn biking, but the same sorta ideas carry to climbing i think. Only thing is that the hammerhead has some mesh pockets on the outside which seem like they could get torn up a lot faster than the packs with a cleaner outside.

crackers

Jun 29, 2006, 2:57 PM
Post #18 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://cilogear.com/...ics/ricepaperbag.jpg

This is a prototype picture.
The pack fits on most gear slings. like the grivel or the metolius.
it will be available this fall; it's currently in testing with Kelly Cordes.
it weighs about 6 ounces.
This one is a top loader, but a zipper one is in the works too.

I'd ask the question: do you want a hydration pack or do you want a climbing pack that functions as a hydration pack?

Are there any other features you'd look for in a little pack like this?

sspssp

Jun 29, 2006, 4:05 PM
Post #19 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Black Diamond Bbee,

I recommend the all black version!

So when the water in your pack is too cold, after a few hours of climbing in the sun, your black pack will have heated it up to a hot and toasty temperature.

Nice!

vegastradguy

Jun 29, 2006, 4:18 PM
Post #20 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my favorite is the Osprey Daylite. small, low profile (can be compressed as well), but fits 70-100oz of water in my Camelbak Unbottles (separate, insulated camelbaks), rain jacket, shoes, food, and a headlamp comfortably.

the best feature of the daylite? the yoke harness! this allows total freedom of movement, because the harness is only connected to the pack via straps, not directly. most packs annoy me because the harness is part of the pack.

this pack also nicely connects to my Osprey Vertigo for the hike in. i also believe that they have a women's harness that you can swap out as well. its a pretty cool pack and reasonable, i think, in price.

chouca

Jun 29, 2006, 5:10 PM
Post #21 of 21 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the product testing and recommendations! You guys rule. I've looked at these for years and never saw one that looked like it was designed for climbing.

The Osprey is the model I'll look at first. Love the quality, design and fit of one of their alpine pack that I've had for 10 years, and this one looks like it will compress down as needed. I always bring shoes because I don't leave anything at the base anymore. It's become kind of crowded down there, especially in the San Jacinto climbing areas I frequent. I also like the option of avoiding a rappel whenever I run across a more convenient trail.

Thanks again,
Marc B.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook