RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

rock_gecko123

Jun 22, 2006, 2:35 PM
Post #1 of 3 (897 views)
Shortcut

makeshift crashpads
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

well just curios what the stories are for ppl when they didnt have enough money to buy a crash pad what did they use?

myself personaly i used a giant bright red futon. this was anoing 1 because it was VERY HEAVY 2 beacuse at the time the only place i boulderd was at a private property location where you had to hike up a 80 degree slope to get to. when we finaly got kicked off i had to secure my a ..."crash pad" with the those giant straps that you rachet to close (aslo bright orange) and when we nearly died almost falling down this slope the first thing the guy says is " dont pack light do ya"

post some stories cant wait to hear :)

trad_kid

Jun 28, 2006, 2:25 AM
Post #2 of 3 (897 views)
Shortcut

Re: makeshift crashpads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went climbing with a guy who had made a crash pad out of the cushions of a sofa that somebody had thrown out. The best part was that he had really taken it to heart. He sewed on two shoulder straps out of webbing and made it fold up nice so he could carry it. It actually worked really well. Highly recommended if you are short on cash.

mrcoolshoes1105

Jul 5, 2006, 3:20 PM
Post #3 of 3 (897 views)
Shortcut

Re: makeshift crashpads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I went climbing with a guy who had made a crash pad out of the cushions of a sofa that somebody had thrown out.

Ditto. I just scored two cushions from an old pop up camper which i have big plans for. They are a little bit narrower than a regular couch cushion, and a little firmer, with some nastylicious 70's couch material on them. I plan to leave the cushions as they are, sandwich each of them inbetween two pieces of closed-cell foam, and sew a sleeve of cordura or nylon to slide the whole jobby into. I'll steal some backpack straps from some old pack at my house, and sew some sort of fabric (maybe leather?) hinge to keep the two pieces together. When all is said and done, it will hopefully look something like Mad Rock's "Madpad".

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook