FORZA ITALIA!

gogo

Jul 10, 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #179 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Re: Official World Cup Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What a way for Zidane to go out, had he kept his cool, the penalty kicks could have gone differently. . .

But he did totally floor Materazzi with that headbutt. I mean nailed him off his feet.

boondock_saint

Jul 10, 2006, 3:19 AM
Post #180 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a shame for Zidane, to go that low and be thrown out of the game 10 minutes before the end of his entire professional career.

France played way better, but they fell apart at the end. What a shame.

squierbypetzl

Jul 10, 2006, 5:28 AM
Post #181 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn shame.

While I don´t personally think Zidane is all that great, he had immortality practically handed to him. Captain of the French team, bought for 60 million dollars by Real Madrid, cup after cup, award after award, people loved and idolized him.... leading a flailing France to the World Cup final for the 2nd time in 8 years after no one gave a hoot about them this time... that´s the stuff legends are made of.

You could´ve been great Zinedine, greater than you´d ever had imagined, Platini would´ve been forgotten in your shadow...

Again, damn shame.

kriso9tails

Jul 10, 2006, 5:48 AM
Post #182 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was pulling for Germany from the start, but I lost interest when they were out for the first place match. I saw the first half of the Germany - Italy game and knew it'd be a tight match that could go either way. I went to work before the second half feeling like it'd be alright if Germany lost to this squad because the teams were well matched, just so long as I could see the full game through (I taped the second half). The problem is, I could see the flags from work, so I already knew who had won.

I could have accepted defeat from this Italian team had I been able to watch the game through, but knowing the result of the game just sucked the fun out of the cup for me.

I only caught bits and pieces of the final two games... didn't see either of Schweinsteiger's goals, nor did I see either goal in the final match. Just couldn't get myself into it.

On the bright side for Deutschland, Klose takes the Golden Boot and I believe Podolski was named Best Young Player of the tournament. Not sure if the Golden Ball will go to an Italian or French player (I'd like to think German, but niether of the two candidates seems too likely).

thomasribiere

Jul 10, 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #183 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm very ashamed of Zidane! While he played pretty good, he acted bad against another player.
What is more incredible is that he he has got the GOlden Ball! Other French players did better than he did and played with more Fair Play...

Congratulations to Italy. They made a great cup with both a very good defense and some great goals. They were just exhausted in the second half yesterday but the French couldn't score.

Partner tisar

Jul 10, 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #184 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Congratulations to Italy. They made a great cup with both a very good defense and some great goals. They were just exhausted in the second half yesterday but the French couldn't score.

Aaah, Thomas, you're too polite of a loser :D The French were clearly better, hell, they played like from another star! I've seldomly seen such quick and precise passes... Sure the Italians weren't exactly bad, but in the end they were more than lucky to win that final.

Whatever, next WC comes - and there's the European Cup too... (I might add the Champions league, but I guess one will have to wait what Italian club might show up there :twisted: )

And Zidane... :? :roll:

- Daniel

edit to add Zidane :lol: :lol: :lol:

slablizard

Jul 10, 2006, 5:56 PM
Post #185 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep..so "not exactly bad" that they won ;)

ITALIA CAMPIONI MONDIALI 2006

http://www.corriere.it/...germania06/28/03.jpg

http://www.corriere.it/...germania06/28/06.jpg

http://www.corriere.it/...germania06/28/09.jpg

http://www.repubblica.it/...041007192245_big.jpg

Back home

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Jul 10, 2006, 6:31 PM
Post #186 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF was up with Zidane getting the Golden Ball award?? Cannavaro was seriously robbed.

slablizard

Jul 10, 2006, 9:47 PM
Post #187 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One million people 1.000.000 :)!!!!!!!!!! ( Can you imagine? )celebrating as I write at the Circo Massimo" in ROme. Same place where the romans used to run carts...same place same crowds, same glory.

UNFORGETTABLE...

http://www.repubblica.it/...491007230941_big.jpg

http://www.repubblica.it/...fp_8503417_26120.jpg

http://www.repubblica.it/...141007232813_big.jpg

http://www.repubblica.it/...461007230946_big.jpg

Zidane should get the "Golden Head Award" what a shame. Most idiotic move form a 10plus year professional player AND captain of a team. :roll:
If and Italian player was at his place we probably would have been crucifixed for years...like when Totti spit on someone.
SO much for French grandeur!

ITALY 4 TIMES WORLD CHAMPION

lagr01

Jul 11, 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #188 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Feel like giving Materazzi a couple of headbutts?

check this out:

http://www.gazzetta.it/...elec.org/zidane.html

slablizard

Jul 11, 2006, 4:07 PM
Post #189 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My reconstruction of the Zidane thing.

Materazzi stops ZIdane and pinches his nipple somewhet probably grabbing his shirt
Zidane.." Hey what are you gay or something?"
MATE Yeah sure bring me that slut of your sister and I'll show you how gay I am
ZID What you just said?
MATE That if you bring me your sister I'll show you what slut she his..

...Just My opinion watching this video

boondock_saint

Jul 11, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #190 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I saw the pinch but I also heard that he insulted him. Meh. It was unprofessional, but well deserved I think.

slablizard

Jul 11, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #191 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Still he's an idiot for getting a red card at the end of a World Cup...letting down his team and his country..lol He'll be remembered for that.

But in the end who cares. We have the cup, that's what matters.

boondock_saint

Jul 11, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #192 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree he should have not let his team down, but france has already forgiven him (or so i hear).

slablizard

Jul 11, 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #193 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From MSNBC

It was downright sabotage, is what it was. Here was the team’s superstar, its choreographer, heading down the stretch of a championship game that could go either way, maybe to France. And then he ruined everything, booted the happy ending way, way out of bounds.

Italy won itself a tiebreaker, finally, captured its fourth World Cup title on kicks, 5-4, after a 1-1 tie. The Italians had earned this one, for sure. They knocked in all their penalties, without a hint of the usual psychic meltdown. They were certainly the best team in the tournament, and probably the better side on this night.

It’s funny how these tiebreakers always seem so arbitrary, yet always go to the more formidable side. It’s happened with Brazil in 1994, and it happened to Italy against France in a losing cause at the European championships in 2000.

But the title match was still up for grabs on Sunday, when Zidane knocked the air right out of his team in overtime. He had this chance to leave a champion, and instead disappeared into a dark tunnel filled with grave questions about his sanity and sportsmanship. He never came out to join the closing ceremonies, to congratulate or console opponents or teammates.

The evening had begun more hopefully for Zidane. He’d scored early on, in the seventh minute, on a cute little penalty kick, becoming only the fourth player to manage goals in two separate World Cup finals. Zidane coyly waited for Gianluigi Buffon to dive right and then lobbed the ball straight ahead, against the crossbar and down across the line.

He very nearly scored the winner in overtime, a header saved with one desperate hand by Gianluigi Buffon in the 104th minute.

And then, as he has done before when things are not going so well, Zidane went a little bonkers. Forced to the wings by Italy’s defenders, tired of the physical marking he’d received, Zidane head-butted Materazzi in the chest, knocking him flat.

This was a blatant, stupid foul in the 110th minute, and not the first time he’d done something so loony. Zidane had committed the same foul a half dozen years ago when he was playing for Juventus in the Champions League, another head butt against Hamburg. He’d stomped on a Saudi player at the 1998 World Cup, getting suspended then for two matches.

There were hints of his anger, just minutes before the head butt. Zidane had given a ball back to Italy, as required by etiquette, but he purposely knocked it out along the sideline for a difficult throw-in, rather than kick it to Buffon. This infuriated the Italians.

Moments later, he was backpedaling with Materazzi, far from the ball, exchanging a little trash talk, when the madness overtook him. He made no attempt to disguise the head butt, which was seen not by the referee, Horacio Elizondo, but by a referee’s assistant, a linesman.

Elizondo consulted with the linesman, then showed the red card to Zidane, as was required. After surviving 10 minutes shorthanded, France was without four of its top penalty kick takers—due to substitutions, injuries and that red card. Zidane, Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira and Franck Ribery were all on the bench, or in the shower.

“You could see the Italian team obviously was waiting for the penalty kicks,” Domenech said.

That tiebreaker was close, anyway. There wasn’t a single save by either goalkeeper, Buffon or Fabien Barthez. David Trezeguet, one of France’s most experienced and able players, slammed his shot into the crossbar. It bounced straight down, then out.

That was all the breathing room Italy needed. Fabio Grosso put away the winner, the clinching fifth penalty. Italy grabbed the trophy, slid and dashed and danced around to celebrate its first title in 24 years.

Zidane was nowhere to be found. He had turned a fairy tale into a nightmare, with one heavy-headed nod of the noggin. He was Rodman, not Jordan.

Filip Bondy writes regularly for MSNBC.com and is a columnist for the New York Daily News

thomasribiere

Jul 12, 2006, 7:36 PM
Post #194 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
He was Rodman, not Jordan.
Pretty good comparison!

Dennniiiiiiisssssssssssss RODMAN! Oh how I was a fan of the NBA!

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Jul 12, 2006, 9:06 PM
Post #195 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
He was Rodman, not Jordan.
Pretty good comparison!

Dennniiiiiiisssssssssssss RODMAN! Oh how I was a fan of the NBA!

I was thinking more along the lines of Ron Artest...

slablizard

Jul 12, 2006, 9:54 PM
Post #196 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Zizou apologies...but he would do it again.

Funny that the crucifixed Totti for spitting to an opponent but they make Zidane look like a victim, and a hero, almost hinting that they (the French) deserved to win. Talk about dirty tactics.

caughtinside

Jul 12, 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #197 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Talk about dirty tactics.

I read an article that makes it sounds like those greasy eye-talians invented dirty tactics. :P I don't know what that guy said, but it must have been bad. I bet you FIFA comes down hard on him.

Watching Zidane play was the highlight of the tournament for me.

slablizard

Jul 12, 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #198 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welol it's obvious that Matarazzi insulted him, I believe regardingf his sister and or his wife, but he reacted like a punk and deserved what happened next.

Cannavaro should have got the award as best player, looks like they voted for ZZ before the end of the game...kind of like writing a movie critic before the end of the movie? ;)

In reply to:
In reply to:
Talk about dirty tactics.

I read an article that makes it sounds like those greasy eye-talians invented dirty tactics. :P I don't know what that guy said, but it must have been bad. I bet you FIFA comes down hard on him.

Watching Zidane play was the highlight of the tournament for me.

caughtinside

Jul 12, 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #199 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Welol it's obvious that Matarazzi insulted him, I believe regardingf his sister and or his wife, but he reacted like a punk and deserved what happened next.

I'm just messing with ya slabby.

But I do think it raises another issue: Is it ok for players to use racist slurs on the soccer field to mess with their opponents? Is it ok to call someone of arab descent a dirty terrorist in the context of a game of soccer?

Yeah, Zidane deserved the red card for the head butt. But if Matarazzi said a few of the things that people speculate he did, I think he should get more.

slablizard

Jul 13, 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #200 of 203 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think this is the first time in my life I'm actually talking about soccer. Amazing.
No it's not ok, absolutely, but ZZ mentioned "his women" referring to wife mom and sister I guess, he didn't mentioned any racial insult. As for messing up with opponents...again I'm not an expert , but I would be surprised if that's something new. Piss off your opponent to distract him? I guess it always happened..in every sport I guess.

Yosemite in 2 days :)

In reply to:
In reply to:

I'm just messing with ya slabby.

But I do think it raises another issue: Is it ok for players to use racist slurs on the soccer field to mess with their opponents? Is it ok to call someone of arab descent a dirty terrorist in the context of a game of soccer?

Yeah, Zidane deserved the red card for the head butt. But if Matarazzi said a few of the things that people speculate he did, I think he should get more.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook