Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kachoong

Jul 10, 2006, 8:45 PM
Post #1 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

The New Adventures of Kachoong and Newbierockstar
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75714
The New River Gorge Bridge

With a thud and a small spray of sand, the first horseshoe settles firmly to score a point for the visitors. Jay looks on, unable to comprehend how an Australian alien could come to Fayetteville, West Virginia… in his own backyard… and dominate the first game of the Young’s house welcoming tradition. He swigs his beer again, awaiting his demise from the follow up throw. As Kachoong winds up for another throw, his mind wanders off to the previous weekend…

….He receives a text message as he stands patiently on the soft sand. The sun shines, waves crash in the background and the cool breeze whispers to him as he reads the message. “Are you guys ready?” Kachoong replies quickly, adjusts his boutonniere and looks towards the dunes. Anticipating his beautiful bride…

The Aussie’s second horseshoe slams into the metal spike, letting out a ring, and Jay drops his iron shoes. “That’s a winner!”, Jay admits. Beginners luck has always been difficult for the Gods of Fairness to deal with, instead usually surrendering to the Hospitality Gods. Newbie looks at Kachoong, from the folding camp chair, with a ‘You reckon you can do that again?’ look in her eyes, places her wine glass on the soft grass and gladly stands to challenge her significant other. Kachoong watches her bare feet walk towards the horseshoe pit and his concentration again drifts to fresh memories of their special day only a week previously…

…Her gorgeous dress floating across the beach... Her little toes gliding through the sand... Her blonde curls cascading around her face…. She’s smiling, her eyes fix on him as she approaches and his stomach churns like that of a smitten school boy. Newbie and Kachoong take hold of each other’s hands and the ceremony begins…

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75702 http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75700
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75715
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75718
Anyone for cake? :P
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75720

The events of that perfect day will always be special... We exchanged vows just before sunset, becoming husband and wife, and soon after partied into the night at a nearby log cabin. It was intimate, stress-free, and romantic, the weather was perfect and the reception was a heap of fun… Meanwhile, masses of climbers “simul-partied”, dancing and drinking at the New River Rendezvous… thanks for celebrating with us. *wink*

Our honeymoon, or “minimoon” (as we preferred to call it), was a small, adventurous getaway for the two of us. The idea was to slip away from our hectic schedules and immerse ourselves in the relaxing surroundings of the New River Gorge. We wanted to try a little of everything that the gorge had to offer.

Our arrival on the Memorial Day Weekend had us in the midst of the anticipated crowds that are usually associated with that weekend. There was evidence that an incredible amount of people were in the area, however despite this, we found a great deal of solitude when we needed it.

We began with a scenic horse riding trip, which wasn’t quite all the excitement we’d had with past riding experiences, but was a great introduction to our week of fun. Things just continued to get better… a real mix of relaxing in the sun, swimming, adventure and quality time together… everything you would want from a great honeymoon.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75710

The second day we went caving, exploring the various caverns and crawl spaces in the limestone country to the south of NRG. I was a little nervous at first (being slightly claustrophobic), but Newbie took to it with confidence, like a duck to water; her small frame navigating the tiny passages with ease. She was able to stand up through sections where my helmet instead took a pounding. It turned out to be quite an educational experience too, as our guides informed us about the cave’s civil war history as well as its geological and biological structure. We even saw tiny salamanders that never see the light of day and are confined to this one cave system, not existing anywhere else. There were cave crickets, beaded curtains, stalactites, sinkholes, saltpeter and, unfortunately, scattered graffiti that said things like “Joanna and Mark were here 2002” and “Chris is a stud”.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75709

Our third adventure was to ride the rapids of the New River itself. Our raft took us along the “Upper New” from Cunard to the Fayette Station, negotiating three class V rapids and 10 class IV’s. It was the first time white water rafting for either of us, however compared to the other “crew” we had on board, we were masters by the end of the first river bend.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75703

A few words of advice-- whatever you do, if you can help it, try not to be picked for a raft that has four “children” over 200 lbs a piece. Not anything against large people, but these high school girls failed to literally pull their own weight. Between the guide, Newbie and I, we had that raft where it needed to be. Despite the uncoordinated, paddle-losing, screaming crew who spent more time getting into the raft and hitting Newbie on the head with their paddles than actually paddling, our rafting experience was as good, if not better, than we had anticipated. We’d recommend it to anyone and we plan to go a big step up next time and raft the Gauley River. Occasionally we were able to capture a few serene moments alone together while we floated along through Class I rapids in our life vests.

Our next plan was to climb for three days and to finally meet the one and only J_ung. It wasn’t until we’d had an afternoon climbing at Meadow River, that we met Mr. Young, his lovely wife Wendy and trusted crag dog Louis. We’d ticked a 10a and a 5.8 trad line of Toxic Hueco Wall and then it was time to get Toxic Well Wasted. It was an absolute pleasure to finish our first day climbing at The New playing horseshoes and drinking beer. A cart wheeling throw from Jay sent the red shoe deep into the poison ivy and that spelt the beginning of the end of the game and cut short the Visitor’s triumph.

After a call from Christina and Brad we were hightailing it to the local climber’s trough “Pies ‘n’ Pints” for all you can eat pizza ‘n’ salad New River style and Beeeeewatereeeer! Even more climbers were spied spilling over into the seemingly endless queue for endless pizza. Many pieces later we’d had our fill and donated our table to the drooling hounds who were next in line. We retired to Aussie wine, good conversation and a couple of climbing videos before bunking down for the night.

Jay, Newbie and I crept out of the house early the next morning to make the most of our second day climbing (and fifth day at NRG). We’d left the others to their rest day and poor Wendy had to work. After a breakfast pit stop we headed for the (very appropriate) Honeymooner’s Ladder on Endless Wall for a warm up on Double Flat (5.9). On our way we spotted a tortoise, its bright orange legs and neck caught us by surprise, and vice versa as it subsequently “ducked” inside for cover. It would be the beginning of a critter-full day.

We strolled over a small green snake and then on to our next hit on the list, Strike a Scowl (10b), which for the grade would have been a ballsy lead on natural pro back in the day. This sweet climb had us drooling for more New River sandstone and Jay swore that if we didn’t think the gorge was one of the best places we’ve climbed then he’d eat six foot of rope. I never doubted for a minute that day that he would need a rectaloscopy to retrieve a portion of his Sterling 10.3mm.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=74235
Newbie on "Strike a Scowl"

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75707
Kachoong climbing the scowl

After that we blasted up Remission, a solid 10b trad line, which still enters my flashback memory bank on a regular basis. I was so pumped on that climb, I think my forearms have yet to forgive me. We followed this line with another 300 feet of climbing, including Rat’s Alley (5.7), Total-E-Clipse (5.8), Little Help From My Friends (10a) and the Upheaval (5.9). Newbie annihilated Total-E-Clips with a fantastic send and her second ever climb on the sharp end. Great stuff, babe!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75721
Jay floating up "Remission"

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75708
"Rat's Alley"

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=74233
Newbie on her second ever time on the sharp end, climbing "Total-E-Clips"

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75719
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=74230

Our return walk-out to the car was without adventure. We left the chattering chipmunks to run circles around each other and followed Jay through a network of caves, back up through the cliff line to eventually locate the main trail. On the way we saw a weird looking gecko/salamander creature in the cave and then a six foot black snake crossed our trail.

That night our bellies were full of Jay’s famous “Beanee Weenee”, and we rambled about our adventurous day that involved plenty of climbing and a good representation of the food chain. The wine and beer flowed and so did the spray!

Our last day at the New involved a visit to Bridge Buttress with trusty crag dog and guide, Louis. We started the day by attacking Zag (5.8), on which Newbie showed plenty of resourcefulness to climb. You’re a natural, babe! Next we got on Angel’s Arete (10a/b). Jay was contemplating the redpoint, so we tried out the gear options, now that the pin has gone, and I set up to get some pics. Jay fired up that arete, as if he’d done it a hundred times, cruising the crux with cam-in-mouth. Nice work, Jay!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=74227
"Angel's Arete"

In the afternoon we climbed Easily Flakey (5.7) and Maranatha (10c), the latter of which I found to be slightly easier than Remission, but nonetheless a classic climb. The day came to a close with a few laps on Easily Flakey and watching Clausti and Brad’s attempts on Englishman’s Crack.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75712
"Easily Flakey"

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75711
Kachoong tiptoeing (only head and knees allowed) across the Easily Flakey traverse, while Clausti waits above Englishmans Crack.

We again re-stocked the Beanee Weenee with more indredients and so too the freezer with ice cream. Sleepily, we drifted off into the evening, wishing that our honeymoon could be an endless experience. It was time to go home but we weren’t ready… we were having too much fun.

In the morning we enjoyed a BIG breakfast at the Cathedral Café. If you weren’t a climber, I’m sure you’d have trouble understanding what a “5.10 Special” was. “Err, can I please have one of these Five Point One Oh Special’s please?” Soon we were waving goodbye and unfortunately driving on through horrendous thunderstorms and chaotic traffic back east again. Departing will always be worse than arriving.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=75704
Louis couldn't believe we were leaving so soon.

Thanks Jay and Wendy for letting us stay and your warm hospitality. It was a pleasure to finally meet you and one day we hope to return.

pinktricam

Jul 10, 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #2 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Re: The New Adventures of Kachoong and Newbierockstar [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great trip report, thanks for sharing it and muchisimas felizidades on your new marriage :!:

Partner philbox

Jul 10, 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #3 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dave and Newbie, excellent news that you guys got hitched. Thanks for putting the wedding snaps up mate. Please link to qurank while you're at it eh.

clausti

Jul 11, 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #4 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

STUMPS FOR BALANCE!!!

[ps its brad not ben on englishmen's crack :wink: ]

Partner macherry

Jul 11, 2006, 1:11 AM
Post #5 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the great tr. love the wedding pics........gorgeous, simply gorgeous.

congrats to newbie and kachooey........here's wishing a lifetime of love and good memories

cheers

marge

cosmiccragsman

Jul 11, 2006, 1:46 AM
Post #6 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome trip report Kachoong!
Trophy is awarded.
Also, Congrats. to You and Newbie. May you have many happy years together.

Respectfully,
Cosmiccragsman

socialclimber

Jul 11, 2006, 1:47 AM
Post #7 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations guys, it only gets better from here on in. :)

Partner epoch

Jul 11, 2006, 2:01 AM
Post #8 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congradulations on the wedding, and a very exciting trip to the New.

thorne
Deleted

Jul 11, 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #9 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulation to both of you.

Great trip report.

Looks like you had a nice stretch of dry weather. - It's about Karma. :wink:

wjca

Jul 11, 2006, 1:19 PM
Post #10 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations guys. Now Dave, you'd better stop goofing off on the interweb and get choppin' on that honey-do list. The lawn isn't gonna mow itself, now is it?

kachoong

Jul 11, 2006, 1:20 PM
Post #11 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks so much everyone for your warm wishes. We figured you guys would like to see shots from the wedding and "minimoon". It really was an awesome time and we'd do it all over again for triple the time if we could. We'll try and make it back as soon as we can. :D

In reply to:
Please link to qurank while you're at it eh.
....done and.....done. :wink:

In reply to:
[ps its brad not ben on englishmen's crack :wink: ]
....oooops..... my bad..... sorry Brad..... :oops:

In reply to:
Now Dave, you'd better stop goofing off on the interweb and get choppin' on that honey-do list. The lawn isn't gonna mow itself, now is it?
:lol: The list will have to wait.... or at least grow endlessly while I'm still in Texas.... she knows I'd do anything for her anyway.... (did I just say that? Do you think she heard?) 8^)

Partner j_ung

Jul 11, 2006, 1:41 PM
Post #12 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That night our bellies were full of Jay’s famous “Beanee Weenee”...

Just to clarify, that's baked beans, veggie dogs and several veggies, not... um... yeah...

Come on back anytime you two! We'll hit up some of the lesser travelled crags. I see South Nutall and Fern Buttress in your not-too-distant future. :)

PS - the red shoe is still in the poison ivy patch. :oops:

krusher4

Jul 11, 2006, 2:03 PM
Post #13 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think we all are very jealous that you have a wife and she climbs...what is better then that? Maybe a wife that can be your rope-gun!

whitribj

Jul 11, 2006, 2:23 PM
Post #14 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A great read. Congrats on your wedding and best wishes!

saxfiend

Jul 11, 2006, 3:37 PM
Post #15 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent trip report, very well written! I hope Jay will let me climb with him when I finally get up to the New. :)

JL

drake

Jul 13, 2006, 1:40 AM
Post #16 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! Great pictures Dave!! I think you have a backup carrier if you ever get tired of dirt.

Sorry Vicki & I did not make the wedding. Sophie's dance recital ran LOOOONG! and we probably would have missed the entire thing if we had drove out to the Beach. The wedding pictures look great.
Newbie looked beautiful. You guys make a great couple.

I finally got out for a little climbing at Seneca this past weekend. Had to knock the rust off (and there was a lot of rust apparently).

Drake

maculated

Jul 16, 2006, 6:57 AM
Post #17 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So psyched for you two! Congrats!

climbsomething

Jul 17, 2006, 9:16 AM
Post #18 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Newbie looks very comfortable and angelic in her wedding finery, like she's been waiting her whole life to be marrying this man on the beach. No doubt, she has. You two are the picture of sweetness and bliss and all those other happy fuzzy bunny thoughts :)

I know who Newbie reminds me of- Kate Hudson! (Who is adorable, by the way.)

Partner j_ung

Jul 17, 2006, 1:05 PM
Post #19 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Excellent trip report, very well written! I hope Jay will let me climb with him when I finally get up to the New. :)

JL

"Let you!?" I'll be insulted if you aren't climbing with us!

kachoong

Jul 18, 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #20 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

JL

"Let you!?" I'll be insulted if you aren't climbing with us!

....yes, Jay would be insulted.... he needs hungry climbers to help polish off the huge pot of Beanee Weenee.... that stuff still makes me drool thinking about it.... oh yeah, and the climbing is good too. :wink:

In reply to:
Newbie looks very comfortable and angelic in her wedding finery
....she does, doesn't she?! I think "gorgeous" was what I uttered a few hundred times...

In reply to:
I know who Newbie reminds me of- Kate Hudson! (Who is adorable, by the way.)
...you think so? Maybe a little...

Thanks again everyone for your thoughtful comments. We'd be crazy not to share our experience with our "scummunity".... now all that's left is to meet you lot! 8^)

billcoe_

Jul 23, 2006, 2:12 PM
Post #21 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shit Kachoong, now thats what I call a Trip Report! :P

Damn nice in every respect, great story and pics: like everyone, heres to hoping both of your dreams and joys are fullfilled!

Regards:

Bill

rendog

Aug 15, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #22 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well it's about freakin time you've come public with it man

you two look greatat least she does...you'll never be cute :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmmmm I'm thinking that maybe a trip to canada specifically Calgary in Jan may be in order. I've got extra ice gear plus connections in the gear rental places to get her outfitted

so it's settled then

we'll see you two up here in january or febuary

congratulations my friends you've both got a spcial place in my heart

darran

kachoong

Aug 15, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #23 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Darran.... you know we'd love to come up to the Canadian Rockies and your neck of the woods.... it's certainly not a ruled-out option for that time of the year. We'll have to see what work/school has to say about it though.... damn reality checks. Pitty I'm a slave to my degree right now.... but at least I have a fantastic, supportive, beautiful wife along for the ride.

timstich

Aug 15, 2006, 6:46 PM
Post #24 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very cool, Dave! Sorry we didn't climb while I was in Texas. I did meet someone from your neck of the woods that knows you, Molly from the vet program. We got out to climb a few times over a period of a few weeks.

Well, I hope the heat begins to diminish for you at some point in Bryan. Take care.

kachoong

Aug 15, 2006, 6:49 PM
Post #25 of 28 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries Tim. I still haven't climbed since the honeymoon. When are you headin' back this way?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook