Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

asc_climb

Jul 28, 2006, 1:57 AM
Post #1 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Yoga and Bouldering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yoga I believe can have great benefits for all those who boulder. Obviously flexibility is a big part. I am sure all of you can contest that there are times when being a little more flexible would make some moves alot easier. Also yoga teaches great breathing techniques that keeps you calm 15t off the deck. I am interested if anyone else has any opinions on yoga and such so let me know.

tb69hikeclimb

Jul 28, 2006, 2:13 AM
Post #2 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yoga and Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe yoga really helps, My girlfriend is a yoga instructor ,she does some amazing shit on the rock I don't believe men should do yoga .Yoga is a chics thing.

Men should just do alot of stretching and breathing exercises like I do :lol:

lena_chita

Jul 28, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #3 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga is great! I don't think there would be many people arguing with you on this one. You pretty much listed all the benefits already... though I don't think it is only relevant for bouldering. It benefits all climbing in general.

ANd yes, it goes beyond just flexibility and core strength into mental awareness and ability to focus and still your mind and breathe right and all that...

LOL, tb69, you need to meet some guy yogis and watch them climb. It is an amazing sight. There is a guy/girl couple that climbs at our gym sometimes-- they are dancers, and also teach yoga and Pilates... The way they float up the wall is something to behold. I'm hoping to see them climbing outside this week b/c we'll be in the same area. I bet that would be even more beautiful...

rockasana

Jul 28, 2006, 2:35 PM
Post #4 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup I agree with all of you.

Yoga is beneficial to most sports (and life)..hockey, football, you name it. Strength, focus and flexibility are just some of the perks. I've been doing yoga for a while and when I recently started rock climbing I was happy to discover how well they compliment each other.

My climbing partner often says he thinks its the best way to train for climbing....though he might just be saying that to stay on my good side ;)

Either way, climbing has improved my asana practice and vice versa.

boombewm

Jul 28, 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #5 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alcohol and trad

...?

tylermon

Jul 28, 2006, 2:56 PM
Post #6 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been a Bikram Yoga student for over a year and it has done amazing things with my climbing. Flexibilty, strength, breathing, strength, concentration.....did I say strength? Spending 90 minutes in 100+ degree room is tough shit, but the benefits are well worth it. Once I started practicing yoga, I went from a 5.9 climber very quickly to 5.11+. I recommend it for anyone wanting to boost there climbing, or any other athletic activity for that matter. And yes, I am a guy who does yoga.

whitribj

Jul 28, 2006, 3:10 PM
Post #7 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been looking at getting into yoga to benifit my climbing and helath overall. Any recomendations on a specific discipline?

krusher4

Jul 28, 2006, 3:57 PM
Post #8 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as your still drinking booze, I think your good.

rockasana

Jul 28, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #9 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When your first getting into yoga, its always a good idea to try a bunch of different yoga studios and different styles. The first class is usually free or they often give a discount, so you have nothing to lose.

Often people who are highly athletic and like to get a great workout tend to enjoy the challenge of Ashtanga or Vinyasa Flow yoga.

Hatha yoga tends to be slower in pace and more relaxing

Iyengar is also great and uses different props to help you build your flexibility and strength

Many friends of mine enjoy Bikram (hot yoga) cause not only do you sweat like a dog but the heat penetrates the muscles and help to loosen them up more readily.

Restorative yoga uses a lot of props and while not very physically exerting is one of the best ways to build flexibility while relaxing into a pile of mush by the end of the class.

You can't go wrong with any of them really. Which one you like is a matter of personal preference. I'm an Ashtanga and Jivamukti girl myself.

Google each style to get a better sense of what they're like...I haven't really done them much justice since yoga can start off as just exercise and move into something a lot deeper...kind of like rock climbing ;)

Hope this helps.

( Oh! and one other thing. Be sure to listen to your body, if you walk into a class where everyone can touch their toes but you can only reach your knees then that's cool. Flexibility and strength come amazingly quickly but not if you force or strain yourself. Ok, I'll shut up now :D )

ccard257

Jul 28, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #10 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the biggest similarities between yoga and bouldering are overpriced clothes and extreeme trendiness

sidepull

Jul 28, 2006, 5:30 PM
Post #11 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really enjoy yoga both as a pursuit in itself and as a discipline that compliments climbing. However, practicing yoga also led to a pretty nagging shoulder injury for me - all those down dogs and cobras. In fact, I remember reading an article about climbing and yoga and the author advised people starting yoga to be extremely cautious because yoga can lead to overuse injuries pretty quickly.

Please note that I'm not trying to rain on the yoga parade - as I mentioned at the outset, I really enjoy yoga (although not as often or as intensely as I did previously) and there are a lot of benefits for climbers (Neil Gresham credits a specialized yoga routine with increasing his reach 1 inch allowing him to redpoint a route that was reachy for him). I just think that the discussion needs to be tempered with some of the potential drawbacks, just for the sake of awareness, not to scare anyone away.

namaste.

sidepull

Jul 28, 2006, 5:44 PM
Post #12 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here's the article regarding yoga, climbing, and potential injuries:

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2YogaForClimbers.asp

kai_da_klimba

Jul 28, 2006, 6:08 PM
Post #13 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traditionally, that is in India where it has a tradition of thousands of years, yoga was practiced by men. It is only in the last century and with its arrival in the West that women are now the majority of practicioners.

Yoga opens the body, mind and spirit. This has been speculated to be one of the reasons why it is less popular with Western males. There are other reasons, too.

The potential benefits of yoga are huge, for climbing or whatever. However, practicing yoga only to reap those benefits or, worse, going into yoga with high-testosterone aggressiveness will not give you the benefits. Most likely you will get injured and blame it on "yoga". While really, it is up to you to listen to your body, be patient, not force things, and breathe. This attitude may not be what you need to send your latest project, but hey, people get injured while climbing, too - do I see a connection?

Flexibility, core strength, balance, relaxing in tight spots, and the all-important mental strength. All this can be gained from yoga, but you must be patient and NEVER force things. And it might require a commitment that you are unlikely to muster if you do yoga for climbing's sake.

k

Partner angry

Jul 28, 2006, 6:22 PM
Post #14 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With the heat waves that seem common nowdays, bikram yoga is probably the only way to prepare to climb.

Bring the heat!

devils_advocate

Jul 28, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #15 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the biggest similarities between yoga and bouldering are overpriced clothes and extreeme trendiness

trophy.

kai_da_klimba

Jul 28, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #16 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to add to the "styles" post:

Yin Yoga, a style that emphasizes long holding of passive postures, targeting (opening) the connective tissue, the hips and spine. A great complement to active physical pursuits such as climbing, biking, or strong/"Yang"/Vinyasa style yoga. If you are able to be still for an hour. To me, there is a distinctive difference between restorative yoga and yin yoga, with restorative yoga not really aiming to achieve an actual stretch in the body.

oh, and:
"... don't criticize what you can't understand..."
Bob Dylan (The Times they are a-changin')

rockasana

Jul 28, 2006, 7:34 PM
Post #17 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, practicing yoga only to reap those benefits or, worse, going into yoga with high-testosterone aggressiveness will not give you the benefits. Most likely you will get injured and blame it on "yoga". While really, it is up to you to listen to your body, be patient, not force things, and breathe. This attitude may not be what you need to send your latest project, but hey, people get injured while climbing, too - do I see a connection?

Flexibility, core strength, balance, relaxing in tight spots, and the all-important mental strength. All this can be gained from yoga, but you must be patient and NEVER force things. And it might require a commitment that you are unlikely to muster if you do yoga for climbing's sake.

Well said ;)

jkarns

Jul 28, 2006, 9:01 PM
Post #18 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

WHAT???

Yoga is centuries old!!

twaikker

Jul 28, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #19 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yoga is an age old art being used up by "new ager" hippie metro/earthy homo's...and no im not a homophobe, but im not blind either, the people who are into "releasing the mind and body" and all this other enlightenment bullshit are either queers, wannabee budda hippies or tools that drink starbucks and jump on the newest "organic" trend they can find (they usually dont stick it out cause something "new" comes along)

so how can i make this call? how can i be so judgemental? no the question is why cant i? you can stretch, dynamic and statically and not have to put a label on it "yoga", and pay some lame ass fee to basically stretch with a bunch of other tools...here is yoga in a nutshell: a frat/sorority for hippie metro/ earthy organic homos ....that means you pay some tool to "teach" you to be more open minded and all this new age healing bullshit and stretch in "organic" postures. these same people hate the state of israel, have sympathy for palestinian suicide bombers, save the forest, but abort babies, are beyond liberal, evolutionist loving tools. they act like they have to be so tolerant to other peoples views, yet at that same time they have a huge fucking fit when your view is in comprimise with their more "worldly view"...say shit like "gandhi is jesus", and bitch about how fucked the world is, yet go to places like kenya on expensive safiris and tell me how we need to protect the environment, yet two seconds late bitch to me how the world needs to do something about the starving people in africa....i told have the people farm and use agriculture in these "parks" to feed themselves, and he said "no dude that has to be saved because of its rich diversity" and thats these yoga tools metality, "save nature" and let the less privaleged starve and die, and make it someone else's burdan. if these rich fucks lived in those places they would poach, slash and burn, and whatever else would be required to survive, because tools from a western country told your government to "save" thousands of thousands of acers for wildlife, when they should be trying to utilies the good land to feed the people. you are one fucked person when you put wildlife before than of a human being. i mean whats the point of saving the "earth" if were all dead?

and i already know, the ones who are all into yoga, and sooo open minded are going to attack me, and rip into my values and blah blah. that is what will prove my point even further, they will get so affended and say that i am close minded, homo phobe, right wing conservatist that has a 3rd grade mentallity. the attacks will be as harsh as they can bring, and that will show how their "yoga" and buddah and gandhi bullshit is not that real to them, or else they wouldnt have gotten soooo pissed off. and i cant forget about the tools who are going to attack my grammer and spelling errors. in the end i will be laughing cause im not a tool, and i pissed off a bunch of insicure people

fracture

Jul 28, 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #20 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

WHAT???

Yoga is centuries old!!

Most "new" age trends are.

fracture

Jul 28, 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #21 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

WHAT???

Yoga is centuries old!!

sidepull

Jul 29, 2006, 1:15 AM
Post #22 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
. . . that has a 3rd grade mentallity.

you don't have to be liberal, rich, new age - whatever label you want to come up with - to use the spell checker. of course, George Bush's speech writers don't seem to use it either so props for sticking to your roots.

sidepull

Jul 29, 2006, 1:16 AM
Post #23 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

WHAT???

Yoga is centuries old!!

:lol:

banannacrmpie4

Jul 29, 2006, 2:58 AM
Post #24 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
. . . that has a 3rd grade mentallity.

you don't have to be liberal, rich, new age - whatever label you want to come up with - to use the spell checker. of course, George Bush's speech writers don't seem to use it either so props for sticking to your roots.
great post! wish i could rate today.

rock_junkie

Jul 29, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #25 of 45 (7586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

waste of time! The best thing ou can do is go out and climb till you fingers bleed!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook