Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Notch Peak is not the second highest vertical cliff.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

triznut

Mar 11, 2003, 4:59 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Notch Peak is not the second highest vertical cliff.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been seeing and hearing people say that Notch Peak in Utah is the second highest vertical cliff face next to El Captian. This is not true...
It is the second highest limestone cliff face in the 48 states (maybe the USA or maybe the world) and I'm not sure what is the first.

There are problably (this is a guess) half dozen or so cliff faces in the Valley that put the Notch to shame in terms of height (ex. Half Dome) anyway it's funny how people get confused :lol:

P.S. If you don't beleive me then check out the guide to Ibex. That's were I got my information on the Notch's size. I just couldn't beleive that it was the second tallest vertical cliff next to El Captain. Yes the Notch's face is tall but not that tall.

Partner polarwid

Mar 11, 2003, 5:10 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Notch Peak is not the second highest vertical cliff. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If the glacier in the RUTH GORGE melts out, the vertical *granite* face of MOUNT BARRILL would be over 8,000 feet tall!!! :shock:

montgomerywick

Mar 11, 2003, 5:58 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so what is the largest (vertical) limestone face in lower 48? and where is it...

rockprodigy

Mar 11, 2003, 6:12 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you mean Mt. Dickey, eh?

I'm not aware of any limestone walls in the US that are as big as Notch Peak. Maybe in the Potrero, but I've never been there.

As for high granite faces, you'd have to consider the N. Face of the Grand Teton at 3,000', The Diamond in CO, The Painted Wall or Chasm View in the Black Canyon, Mt. Hooker in the Wind Rivers, East Face of Mt. Whitney (etc, forever).

There are some freaking huge sandstone walls in Zion. I don't know how big they are off the top of my head, but the Great White Throne is probaby 2000' or more, and the Court of the Patriarchs is amazing.

Partner polarwid

Mar 11, 2003, 6:18 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol: Why don't you get back to my TRIVIA GAME, you G.D. KNOW IT ALL!!

I was just testing you!!! :oops:

triznut

Mar 11, 2003, 9:50 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So Notch Peak is the second tallest chunk of limestone to???? And it's second in the world right? MT. Dickey (which is where)???????

redpoint

Mar 11, 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your right by looking at some website -publicland.org-, It states Notch Peak has the 3rd largest vertical drop in North America not the largest face.
cheers.

mtnmia

Jul 18, 2006, 3:40 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Re: Notch Peak is not the second highest vertical cliff. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Correction: Half Dome is 1,800 vertical feet, Notch is 2,000, so higher. Plus if one adds the lower vertical limestone rock-band up to the big ledge, and then the upper wall...... well it is closer to 3,000 or so

ddriver

Jul 18, 2006, 6:31 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

triznut, I generally agree with you. People spout all kinds of crap like this all the time and then it gets repeated ad infinitum. People in Georgia think Stone Mountain is the largest granite dome in the US don't you know, maybe the whole wide world. :wink:

Notch's upper face is probably 1600 or 1700 feet at its tallest point. The lower face is probably no more than 1000 feet of vertical rock exposure. But, with a summit at ~9700 feet and the campsites at about 5,000 feet the west side has a lot of profile, and that's what leads people to make exagerated claims.

I don't know for sure of any other limestone face in the 48 that's bigger, though I've seen someone post here or in the AAJ about a bigger limestone face somewhere in the North Cascades that has a route on it.

Outside the US there are tons of limestone walls bigger than Notch. The Dolomites alone have probably 100 or more bigger walls. The tallest to my knowledge is Monte Agner with a 5,000 foot uninterrupted rock route.

mtnmia

Jul 29, 2006, 7:11 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, it doesn't really matter which wall is highest. I must say Notch is fun as hell, though. Lack of people, 100 ++ degrees, no water, long approach, loads of rattlers, stellar camping and best of all -- full on adventure climbing!! The area is bound to become popular as it gets more "discovered". Book of Saturday has cleaned up nicely, though I must admit, the anchors could use chains. We cleaned loads of old crusty webbing of the route in June.

styndall

Jul 29, 2006, 9:33 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
triznut, I generally agree with you. People spout all kinds of crap like this all the time and then it gets repeated ad infinitum. People in Georgia think Stone Mountain is the largest granite dome in the US don't you know, maybe the whole wide world. :wink:

Uh...

Stone Mountain is the largest exposed granite dome in the US. I think E-rock in Texas is the second.

kman

Jul 29, 2006, 9:51 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your right by looking at some website -publicland.org-, It states Notch Peak has the 3rd largest vertical drop in North America not the largest face.
cheers.

:roll: :roll: :roll: There's b.s. claims like this at many many places from water falls to the Chief in Squamish.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook