RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

southernclimber

Sep 3, 2002, 12:10 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

gear swamped!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey, im a newbie climber and i am just swamped with trying to find out what brands are good and what brands suck. im doing mainly indoor climbing and bouldering so i don't need anything heavy duty yet. what is the best brand of shoe? chalk? rope?

dantman

Sep 3, 2002, 12:38 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

gear swamped! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AS far as shoes go, I would go try a bunch on and see what fits the best for you. there are a lot of good shoes out there. You do want a tight fit on your shoes. Everyone has there own opinion on this stuff!! Chalk, I like loose chalk over chalk balls but check with the gym, some gyms only allow chalk balls. As far as rope goes, I assume you will be starting out top roping so I would get a 60 meter 10.5 or 11mm. The thicker ropes will hold up better for top roping. If you are worried about brand name stick to the big names like Black Diamond, Petzl, 5.10, Sterling. However there a lot of great companies out there with some very good quality stuff. Hope this helps.

southernclimber

Sep 3, 2002, 12:46 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys. i didn't know there were more types of climbing...as you can see i have a lot to learn. but im learning. thanks for the advice! right now, im just bouldering to get my stamina up and doing the wall at my rec. center on campus to learn different rests, climbs, how to use the gear, etc. im gonna take a belaying course next monday but i can understand on the shoes. thanks and if there's any more input you can think, don't hesitate to tell me!!

iridesantacruz

Sep 3, 2002, 1:10 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you should go to www.sportextreme.com they have a link on the side when you go to a certain topic that will help you decide. It will ask you what you do, and then will help you pick things out, and understand some things about buying. Though for shoes i would go to a store, so you can try them on and everything. Thats one thing i learned the hard way. Though, if your gym climbing you only need harness, chalk bag (chalk), and a lockin biner, and belay device. Some gyms make you use their biners and belay devices. For bouldering your gonna need what you need for the gym + a crash pad. I dont normally do bouldering but i think they cost around $150+.

chris
climb on!

southernclimber

Sep 3, 2002, 1:24 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks chris! i have a harness and chalk/bag for the gym. they make us use their belaying devices and ropes so i haven't bought mine yet. i'll look at a crash pad thanks again!

climb512

Sep 3, 2002, 2:02 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of picking gear is personal prefrence. gearexpress.com is a great place for bargains. sportextreme.com is out of spain or france,but great prices with the currency exchange. I got a pair of Lasportiva Mythos from them, with shipping it they were 97 bucks, best price in the states i could find was 130.
Back to the topic, try using friends gear, buy different makes. Go slow, so you dont get stuck with a bunch of crap you dont like. I have a set of rock empire cams, cheap and they work well, however i have added,camalots and aliens and use them more then the rock empires. love my bd hexes and nuts. have fun, it gets expensive!

southernclimber

Sep 3, 2002, 3:55 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah thats what i figured. i asked my friend and he said that all his gear was about $300 total. im in college so christmas and my birthday are the best days to get gear if ya know what i mean! thanks for the tips. i have looked at gearexpress.com and i like them. much appreciated!!

climber_dude

Sep 8, 2002, 4:06 AM
Post #8 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what ever you do DONT GET ROCK PILLAR SHOES

Partner missedyno

Sep 8, 2002, 3:32 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

search the forums. it's not as easy as checking back on your own personal thread, but there's way more information.

jt512

Sep 9, 2002, 6:33 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best brand of...chalk?

That's a pretty heavy question, Dude.

-Jay

overlord

Sep 9, 2002, 7:28 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the white stuff bought from the local dealer... though a little costly

CLIMB ON

southernclimber

Sep 11, 2002, 6:32 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha...im so sorry about that chalk question, i use bison, but i was wondering if gym chalk(that stuff used by gymnastics people) is equally good if i ever run out. i was thinking of getting the five ten mojaves as my all around climbing shoes.

[ This Message was edited by: southernclimber on 2002-09-11 11:33 ]

basecamp_junkie

Sep 15, 2002, 3:38 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you get gear from Gearexpress make sure that you are really getting a good deal. Some of the packages and such seem like they would be great, but when you figure out the individual cost of everything, it's about the same as gearexpress + the shipping. But they do have some really sweet deals if you know what you want and are looking for. Christmas and birthday are the best! I'm looking forward to the big b-day next month.... hmmm what should I ask for......

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook