RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Sep 4, 2002, 1:28 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1956 views)
Shortcut

ASAP
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I really want to get a new camera, the one i have now weighs alot, and for somereason doesnt want to work. Does anybody know where i can get a decent camera for a decent price? Thanks.

The savior

apollodorus

Sep 4, 2002, 1:48 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1956 views)
Shortcut

ASAP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you go digital, you need to take lots of batteries, especially on a long climb. The old-fashioned 35mm is still a good way to go (different lenses, low power, etc.) Plus, the 35mm is still better for big enlargements (compared to sub-$1000 digitals).

Digitizing 35mm film is pretty easy for me, because the local Film Doctor business does a roll (any size) for about $5 to process the negative (or slide transperancies) and another $10 to digitize the whole strip.

Keep in mind, also, that an expensive camera can get knocked silly just by sitting there in the climbing environment. A cheapie 35mm might be the best compromise between expendability and good pictures.

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Sep 5, 2002, 3:51 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1956 views)
Shortcut

ASAP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, now i am stuck, should i get 2 cameras. One for climbing and anotherone for other things?

The savior

the_elk

Sep 5, 2002, 4:32 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1956 views)
Shortcut

ASAP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should only need one camera.
Two is overkill. One camera, providing it's a good quality one, should do well for you for a long time.
My advice is not to bother going digital. 35mm SLR, camera is gonna do just what you want it to. You can always burn the images onto CD's later if you want.
Most camera stores will have used camera's there, and some offer courses (I think) for an hour or two to teach you how to take better photo's.
Learn how to use your camera, learn how to get the most out of it and talk with people on how to get a good shot, and to know what you did so you can do it again.
Good Luck snappin'
Elk

sugarbaby

Sep 10, 2002, 8:48 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1956 views)
Shortcut

ASAP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

but it's nice to have two camera bodies, one for B&W, and one for color

peanutbutterandjelly

Sep 10, 2002, 11:17 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1956 views)
Shortcut

ASAP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is real easy to change between films if you have a pick with you. Spending 1o dollars on a film pick is a lot cheaper then spending $500 on a new camera.
Todd

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Sep 12, 2002, 12:33 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1956 views)
Shortcut

ASAP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well since i am really bored i will restate the most important part of my original post. does anybody know where i can gat a decent camera for a decent price. Thanks for all the info guys/gals.

The savior

beyond_gravity

Sep 12, 2002, 12:34 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1956 views)
Shortcut

ASAP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got myself a Nikon F65 zoom kit. The body is very popular with people that just get an SLR and use it as a P&S. Because of that I kind of got turned away from the F65, but after trying it out, I have found it's a really great camera! If you want to go a little cheap you can go with the F55, but it does not have a Depth of field preview on it.

The lens is cheap, it retails for about $200. it's 28-80mm f3.3-f5.6 Not high quality, but it's the best quality you'll find for that price...I mean hey, it's a Nikon!

Just this set up has keet me going so far, but i'm looking into buying some more lenses for it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook