RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Partner ctardi

Aug 11, 2006, 6:28 AM
Post #1 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

'Clicking' Wrist
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, I don't normally come here for medical advice, but I can't get to the Doc's office untill next week...

About 6 months ago, I got on a wall to traverse, just easy juggy holds. When I weighted my right arm, I felt the wrist joint extend a little bit, so I jumped off. Since then, it always clicks when moving. Smaller clicks if I move it often, but very loudly at times such as when just waking up. (People in other rooms hear it). Coming and going (Usually more when it is cold or rainy), I also get dull pain, and some pressure build up inside the joint. Yesterday, climbing put a very sharp pain in that wrist, since then i've stopped climbing till I can see the doc.

I also have this problem with my ankle, but not nearly as severe, and it was caused by an injury several years ago. I've also noticed that my fingers are very stiff in the morning, but I'll see if that stops as I don't climb...

Anyone else had anything like this? Any special remedies? Could this be a type of arthritis?

squierbypetzl

Aug 11, 2006, 7:13 AM
Post #2 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Re: 'Clicking' Wrist [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There was another thread around here about clicking wrists, but if I recall correctly that one didnīt mention pain nor pressure.

RICE it and wait for your doc. Luck man.

overlord

Aug 11, 2006, 7:17 AM
Post #3 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SHES a woman :wink:

and a pretty hot one too

codhands

Aug 11, 2006, 8:02 AM
Post #4 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get used to it.

Partner alexmac

Aug 11, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #5 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to a doctor, its not broken but there is swelling that won't go down without rest and the proper drugs.

I picked up a double Kayak loaded with water for a seven day trip , at one end and others lifting did not; needless to stay the strain took time to develop.

The doctor gave me Naproxen, 500mg, no climbing for two months.

Partner ctardi

Aug 11, 2006, 5:15 PM
Post #6 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
SHES a woman :wink:

and a pretty hot one too

WTF

<---------Not A Chick. ;)

andypro

Aug 11, 2006, 5:44 PM
Post #7 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"get used to it" or "live with it" are VERY bad advice. I'll relte my own story:

I injured my wrist pretty bad 6 years ago. I was working at the airport refeulling jetliners, it was about -5F out, and everyhitng in sight was frozen, incliding the locking collar on the fuelling station on the jet. So I'm bangin away and really straining to get the hose hooked up, and BAM. Loud snap that I felt through my whole body (the APU on the jet kept me form actually HEARING it). Hurt like a mother for about 5 minutes...like I wanted to cry/throw up kinda hurt. Then it went away. no more pain at all unless I was pulling something (like closing the door on the fuel truck), and then it was a dull stabby type pain right in the center of my wrist, seemingly form the top to the bottom.

I thought I just tweaked it or somethin, so didn't think much of it. I mentioned it to my supervisor in passing, and he insistted I go to the emergency room. Well, after stopping in on my uncles birthday party, and doing numerous other thigns on the way, I eventually made it to the emergency room. Turns out the ligaments in my wrist all tore, and the little bones in there went on vacation!!

I had what was called a scapho-lunate disassociation. The ligament between the two bones in the middle of my wrist completely tore, and there were other small tears all around my wrist. If I had not seen anyone about it, I would have permanently lost 100% use of my wrist within a year.

The point of all this? It dind't hurt that bad, except for the occasionally stabby pain when I did things in a certain way. The reason I'm telling you this is because it clicked. ALOT. I lived with it 4 weeks before I had my corrective surery (which took 6 months of surgeries and at least another 6 of therapy to begin using my wrist again), and never once was I in any real pain for more than a second or two. But there was all that clicking.

If this was an injury that came on all of a sudden, as I gather from your post, I wold get it checked out ASAP. At least to be on the safe side. You do NOT want what I had, but if you do have it, you do NOT want to just let it go. It's better safe than sorry!!

But on another note, my knees and ankles have been doign clicky things for a decade or so now, and they're nothing majorly wrong with them. I know alot of people that have the same issue witht he ankles and knees and whatnot, so I wouldn't use that as a guage for anyhitng in your wrist.

get it checked out. It's better ot be sure. Good luck.

scrapedape

Aug 11, 2006, 6:39 PM
Post #8 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get in line for an MRI, and find a new hobby for the next 9 months.

nnowinowski

Aug 11, 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #9 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb and see :?

udaho

Aug 11, 2006, 8:10 PM
Post #10 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, it's time for me to get lynched... on my very first post! I am in fact a doc, and it sounds to me like this thing is not necessarily causing undue pain and anguish on your part. If you go to the MD, he/she will have two routes: Meds and Surgery. Meds are great for relieving pain and decreasing inflammation, but six months is a long time for that to be happening, and indicators usually include swelling and pain. Surgery on a wrist that just clicks, unless there is some serious stuff happening in there is like begging for future problems (IMO). I would seriously consider looking in the old yellow pages for a chiropractor, call a few and ask if they are comfortable and qualified to adjust extremities - some are and some aren't. They will probably do an x-ray to check for fractures, as that is the most prudent way to go. Yes, I'm a chiropractor, and I adjust wrists (and knees and ankles and shoulders...) all the time, with great results - I've never made one worse, ever. Usually you see results within the day. After an adjustment, ice it as needed, and you should be able to get on with your pain - or click-free life. If it doesn't work, spend $800-1200 on an MRI and thousands on surgery. Try conservative first, and move to more invasive as needed.

Partner alexmac

Aug 11, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #11 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OR move to canada and get it all for free :)

My wrist was so messed up people could hear it click from the other side of the room 30 feet away when I moved it the right way; pain but not overly swollen; not a big deal but takes time to heal.

Just be glad it was not a baby finger, let me tell ya :)

reno

Aug 12, 2006, 5:55 AM
Post #12 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Question:

Does it feel the same as when you crack your knuckles?

Partner ctardi

Aug 12, 2006, 7:35 AM
Post #13 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac - Already in Canada

Reno - Kind of, but much more intense and louder. And I notice at the point where it is about to 'click', the wrist stops moving, but the muscles keep contracting, then it jumps to where it should be as it clicks/pops/cracks.

corona

Aug 12, 2006, 9:14 AM
Post #14 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Ctardi,

Can't speak for your case, but a friend of mine that just got into climbing came up to me the other day, having a minor freakout about his clicking wrists. Apparently, after several months of climbing, he noticed that they would click audibly whenever he would rotate them. However, there was no pain or swelling. My advice to him was simple, "Yeah, my wrists started clicking a little less than a year after I started climbing, and I was a bit concerned about it. I never did get around to doing going a doctor about them and that was about, um, eight years ago now. Still clicking." My ankles have always clicked and my knees have always cracked as well, but I've been doing multisport since I would walk and never paid them any attention. However, in neither my nor my friend's case was there any pain or swelling, an indication that something might actually be not quite right.
My one tidbit of advice: whatever you do, don't take painkillers BEFORE climbing, or you stand a good chance of doing yourself some real damage. Yeah, common sense, I know.

All the best, from my wrists 2 yours. ;-)

reno

Aug 13, 2006, 4:55 AM
Post #15 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Reno - Kind of, but much more intense and louder. And I notice at the point where it is about to 'click', the wrist stops moving, but the muscles keep contracting, then it jumps to where it should be as it clicks/pops/cracks.

Cartilage tear or synovial sheath weakspot.

edo

Aug 13, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #16 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh how we abuse our bodies!

ctardi -

the stiffness in the fingers in the morning - for me this symptom was the first sign of tendonitis. I mistakenly ignored it too.

general clicking of joints with no pain - my knees and ankles always clicked (as did my sister's) and so I thought it was normal. It turns out this was due to unbalanced muscle development. As I started doing more activities that strengthen some of my weaker muscles all the clicking went away.

the wrist - sorry to hear about the wrist, but I'm glad to hear that you are seeking proper medical attention. The symptoms do sound pretty serious. If you do use any pain meds or anti-inflammatories (before you make it to the doc's office), remember that your body is still broken and needs rest - even if the symptoms lessen under the effects of meds.

Best of luck to you in your recovery.

talnlnky

Aug 14, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #17 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go to a doctor, its not broken but there is swelling that won't go down without rest and the proper drugs.

I picked up a double Kayak loaded with water for a seven day trip , at one end and others lifting did not; needless to stay the strain took time to develop.

The doctor gave me Naproxen, 500mg, no climbing for two months.
I'm really not a fan of taking drugs like pain killers. In fact, the only drugs i usually take are about 3-4 pseudophed a year. Anyways, 2 years ago i sprained my ankle extremely bad playing basketball. When i walked in the doctors office they took me straight to the X-ray machine as they thought i had broken it. Anyways, they gave me Naproxen and DANG..... that stuff does wonders for swelling. Did nothing for pain, and my ankle hurt when it wasn't moving(mainly when i slept) for a month.

I know the drug Alieve has naproxin in it. so you could take one or two of those a day until you see the doctor if there really is swelling.

markguycan

Aug 15, 2006, 2:41 PM
Post #18 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to climb now you may not climb later.
I also recently had a scapholunate tear. (mine was due to Kayaking) I did see a doc and also a physical therapist. The thought of a chiropracter adjustment scares me just as much as surgery.
I've been out of climbing for 2mo but am hoping to start doing some easy stuff this week. My treatment: Ice, antiinflammatories (aleve), and immobilization (spica type wrist brace). Last week I started doing some range of motion and some light weight strengthening. Advice for the long haul: get it ck'd out-M

andypro

Aug 15, 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #19 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Markguycan: Did the ligament completely separate or just tear partially? I've never actually come across anyone that also had the injury (even if not as severe as mine). Apparently its' a very rare injury. Maybe we're special :lol:

The long term rehab is the worst part of it. Took a real long time before I could even do anything with my wrist. My PT made a custom brace for my wrist so I could climb and whatnot, but if I moved my hand pretty much any degree from straight, all strength left immediately. It really sucked.

RE napproxen (alleve): That stuff is wonderful. It's one of the only things that willg get rid of my bad headaches. Only problem is that it gives me HORRIBLE heartburn/indigestion and can apparently burn holes in your stomach if your not careful. I can take it once in a while, but if I take more than two to four (a day or two's worth) Tums cant do a thing to help me. It doesn't happen to all, but it's something to be careful about. I'm personally particular to ibuprofen. Take 4 of the OTC (800mg, equal to one prescription dose) and then 1 to 2, and it keeps me nice and pain free for the duration. I aint no doctor though, so don't take it as gospel.

moof

Aug 15, 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #20 of 20 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which part of your wrist is hurting/swollen?

In my case I managed to damage the Triangular Fibro Cartilage (TFC) in both wrists. The symptoms are chronic pain, somewhat limited mobility (especially twisting the arm, such as to accept change), and swelling at the outside (pinky side) of the hand.

The left responded pretty well to a cortizone injection (only gets sore after lots of use), the right really did not. Still procrastinating about going back for a second round ont he right wrist.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook