RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

djsulli

Aug 12, 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Not enough info on most shots...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi ~ First i want to say that, most of the shots i see on RC.com are absolutely amazing! What a unique and diverse collection of photos from all over the world, and so many talented shooters... it's surprising more of this stuff doesn't end up in the mags.

My only critique might be that... On alot of the shots, it seems like people include really limited info.

i think it should be standard that each shot include the climbers name, the shooter, location, route, and grade ... minimum. This is just me and i know i dont make the rules around here, but seems like almost every shot that comes up is lacking a critical piece of 411.

So for those posting shots, i personally would love to know as much about the shot as your willing to share : )

Thanks folks and keep the quality imagery flowin!

//sulli

sbaclimber

Aug 12, 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Re: Not enough info on most shots... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i think it should be standard that each shot include the climbers name, the shooter, location, route, and grade ... minimum.
I assume you are referring to the photos that are actually of people climbing particular routes/problems, correct!?
Although, in pricipal, I agree with you, most photos are linked to the route the climber is actually climbing. The name and location is displayed, and if you want to know the grade, it is only one click away. As far as names are concerned, that is more of a curtesy/copright thing. Sure, it is nice to have, but unless you know (of) the person, it isn't really that important.
....or maybe I am just a selfish jerk who doesn't care if I am looking at a photo of Chris Sharma (who I wouldn't recognize anyway) or Joe Blow....

djsulli

Aug 13, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...obviously i mean climbing shots.

Saying the answers are one click away is an exaggeration, on most shots it's a witty comment and no real info. Without this info, to search down the route here on the site is a process that requires more than one click.

Here's some examples...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ist_start=1&id=76627

it says...
Sandrine climbing "The Maypole", a very good circular traverse passing through the west cave.

where is this? how hard is it? for people who live there, it might be self explanatory, but RC.com is a Global forum and the photo should be captioned to reflect this.

Here's another example...
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ist_start=2&id=76017

it says...
Lawrence at the pod halfway through the roof on Kalbarri Gold.

Where? Who is lawrence? how hard is it? This is an amazing shot and the line could be 5.10+ or 5.14! I would like to know more as i am a climber and these things interest me.

Here's an example of what i consider a proper caption...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...st_start=10&id=76667

it says...
Basti Frey high up on the crux of the quite bouldery "Rainman", 9-, Danube Valley, Germany. Photo by J. Zeidelhack

they could add more if they wanted, but even if they dont, the crucial info is here and i feel well informed after viewing this image.

Also, the climbers name is only one piece of information that makes a good caption... And it really doesn't matter whether the person is famous or not, it's not about that. But i know that almost anyone ending up in a great climbing shot wants there name on it.

Again, i dont make the rules, this is just my opinion : )

//Sulli

Partner neuroshock

Aug 13, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Saying the answers are one click away is an exaggeration, on most shots it's a witty comment and no real info. Without this info, to search down the route here on the site is a process that requires more than one click.
actually, it is one click away--no exaggeration. maybe one click each, but still one click.

In reply to:
Here's some examples...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...to_show.php?id=76627

it says...
Sandrine climbing "The Maypole", a very good circular traverse passing through the west cave.

where is this? how hard is it? for people who live there, it might be self explanatory, but RC.com is a Global forum and the photo should be captioned to reflect this.
lessee here.... click on the area name, Lulworth Cave, and you'll see that it's in England. if you go a step further you can find out that Lulworth Cave is in SW England near the town of Bournemouth. click on the section name, Stair Hole, and you'll see that the route The Maypole is 5.7.

In reply to:
Here's another example...
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...to_show.php?id=76017

it says...
Lawrence at the pod halfway through the roof on Kalbarri Gold.

Where? Who is lawrence? how hard is it? This is an amazing shot and the line could be 5.10+ or 5.14! I would like to know more as i am a climber and these things interest me.
again, Western Australia by Kalbarri, 26 Aussie/5.12b YDS. why does knowing who Lawrence is matter? would you like his bio and climbing resume as well? knowing whether it was a cakewalk for a 5.13 strongman of the first 5.12 by an average joe?

In reply to:
they could add more if they wanted, but even if they dont, the crucial info is here and i feel well informed after viewing this image.
don't know about you, but i prefer to not have my full name on photos that i take, or on those that are of me. regardless of what you consider crucial, i prefer my anonymity, thanks.

djsulli

Aug 13, 2006, 7:10 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
lessee here.... click on the area name, Lulworth Cave, and you'll see that it's in England. if you go a step further you can find out that Lulworth Cave is in SW England near the town of Bournemouth. click on the section name, Stair Hole, and you'll see that the route The Maypole is 5.7.

that's three clicks.

Is it possible to have a conversation on this board without sarcasm?

again, for those who didn't read my reply entirely... it's not just about the name, and, I'm not asking for a new rule to be made... I would just like to know more, that's all.

//Sulli

djsulli

Aug 13, 2006, 7:18 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
again, Western Australia by Kalbarri, 26 Aussie/5.12b YDS. why does knowing who Lawrence is matter? would you like his bio and climbing resume as well? knowing whether it was a cakewalk for a 5.13 strongman of the first 5.12 by an average joe?

Ok, thank you for adding this info after the fact : ) this info was not on the original caption and it fills in the details that i'm interested in.

did i ask for a resume? Did i ask whether he made it or not? It's a beautiful shot and route, I dont need his waist size, or the last name if he doesn't want it posted... just the crucial details, where, whats the rating, etc.

sucks that one can't post on this board without someone getting there panties in a bunch and making snide, sarcastic reply's. It's like you make a suggestion and guaranteed someone out there is going to take it personal and come back with a negative condescending response. How about just a mellow, positive exchange of information without the attitude? Is that possible?

pico23

Aug 13, 2006, 7:28 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
sucks that one can't post on this board without someone getting there panties in a bunch and making snide, sarcastic reply's. It's like you make a suggestion and guaranteed someone out there is going to take it personal and come back with a negative condescending response. How about just a mellow, positive exchange of information without the attitude? Is that possible?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to rc.com!!! :wink:

BTW, the above quote would make a killer signature if anyone needs one!!!! :twisted:

djsulli

Aug 13, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...finally we agree on something!

: )

Partner neuroshock

Aug 13, 2006, 7:49 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i wasn't trying to be snide nor sarcastic and it's not personal to me. sorry that i didn't put more emoticons in :P

In reply to:
that's three clicks.
In reply to:
actually, it is one click away--no exaggeration. maybe one click each, but still one click. ;)
emphasis and wink added

In reply to:
did i ask for a resume? Did i ask whether he made it or not? It's a beautiful shot and route, I dont need his waist size, or the last name if he doesn't want it posted... just the crucial details, where, whats the rating, etc.
In reply to:
Who is lawrence?
i assumed that if his name, already in the caption, wasn't enough that you were looking for more. i was wondering, exactly what was it you wanted to know about laurence?

In reply to:
i think it should be standard that each shot include the climbers name, the shooter, location, route, and grade ... minimum. This is just me and i know i dont make the rules around here, but seems like almost every shot that comes up is lacking a critical piece of 411.
In reply to:
the information is there, it's just not as convenient as you would like. my opinion is that it's unnecessary in the caption as it's available if you're willing to look.

djsulli

Aug 13, 2006, 7:51 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...Well put.

: )

//SS

marc801

Aug 13, 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
that's three clicks.
In reply to:
actually, it is one click away--no exaggeration. maybe one click each, but still one click. ;)
emphasis and wink added
Currently on this site, 3 clicks could mean a half-hour wait! And that's on broadband!! :lol:

Partner neuroshock

Aug 14, 2006, 3:35 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
that's three clicks.
In reply to:
emphasis and wink added
Currently on this site, 3 clicks could mean a half-hour wait! And that's on broadband!! :lol:
if that's how you're looking at it, 1 click could mean the same thing! :D

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook