Premier Sponsor:

paul3eb

Aug 20, 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #1 of 8 (717 views)
Shortcut

untapped potential in the red river gorge
Report this Post
Can't Post

there's been so much talk about development and the continued potiential around the red that i have to bring this topic up this way cause it's the people in the area that have the greatest potential for development.. and we haven't even really begun to do all we can..

it's fall and school's about to be back in session for kids around the gorge. problem is, while the school's themselves are relatively well funded, the students often don't have the resources to get the basics: paper, binders, pens and pencils, clothes for pe class, glue, crayons, scissors, folders.. the list goes on. if you're interested at all to see some of the stats on the area, check out this link http://quickfacts.census.gov/...states/21/21237.html (use the drop-down menu to see powell county.. or any other county you'd like).

we've been getting in touch with some of the school officials and they're all really excited to hear that a) we're interested at all in helping out and b) that we're actually going to help out. right now we're going to focus on rogers elementary school in wolfe county and powell county high school in.. well.. powell county. right now we're calling it "school rocks" (corny, i know..)

so here's what we can do: the next few weekends there will be a donation box at red river outdoors where you can drop off any supplies you'd like to donate. there will also be a donation container for cash or checks if you'd like to drop that off, too. any and all money will go directly to helping the students get school supplies. click this link for a list of supplies they need http://www.knowchaos.com/...ocks/supply_list.pdf.

and since a lot of you may not be able to come down for a few weeks (or willing, considering it's august in the red), you can also donate through paypal at this site http://orangesky.knowchaos.com and navigate to the "school rocks" page to learn more about the program. the paypal donation form is on the right.

anything you can give is great! we're doing pretty well so far.. over $500 collected so far and several boxes of supplies have been picked up already. let's take this farther..

again, thank you so much of anything and everything you can give!

if you have any ideas at all on how to make this better or what needs to change, please let me know. pm me or email me at redriverschools'at'gmail'dot'com.

paul3eb

Aug 21, 2006, 4:21 PM
Post #2 of 8 (717 views)
Shortcut

Re: untapped potential in the red river gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just to remind people about this.. and even if you're not in or from the area, please consider donating for a couple reasons. 1) it's a good cause and 2) it'll help maintain access and good relations throughout the red. if we can show that, as climbers, we can help an area, people will be more interested in getting us to stick around, especially on forest service land as well as securing grants and the like to make payments on the pmrp (our land).

thanks all!

whitribj

Aug 21, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #3 of 8 (717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul,

This is a really awesome idea. I am taking off work to head down to the Red to donate. (I get to support a good cause and also have an excuse to hit the crag an extra few days! :D )

paul3eb

Aug 21, 2006, 4:39 PM
Post #4 of 8 (717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome! thanks for the support ;) rro has the donation containers and all.. and a mighty good breakfast.

and definitely enjoy the crags ;) when and where exactly you planning on heading?

afreeclimber

Aug 22, 2006, 7:41 AM
Post #5 of 8 (717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Climbers Association of Michigan did a fundraiser for Ronald McDonald House last year. Try contacting them. I know a lot of their members climb in the Red.
www.cam-info.org

Partner philbox

Aug 22, 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #6 of 8 (717 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from General to Community.

acacongua

Aug 23, 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #7 of 8 (717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my effort to track down the owner of a lost puppy, I got to visit with a family in the area (I was driving to the Motherlode). They didn't have much, but the two daughters there were happy, hopeful, bright and fun to talk to.

Our coalition and other climbers in the area are working hard to build strong rapport with the community that houses our lovely Red River Gorge. We've had a situation where a school stepped up and helped us during an event that was nearly cancelled due to storms. They offered their school gymnasium to us.

This is very much a legitimate effort spearheaded by Paul and if you're able to help, thank you very very much.

whitribj

Aug 24, 2006, 4:51 PM
Post #8 of 8 (717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul, will the box still be up this labor day weekend?

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook