Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kane_schutzman

Sep 9, 2006, 1:54 AM
Post #1 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Cheaper Charabiners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there a cheaper alternative to the BD Carabiners, or say any of the climbing companies...I see other, I guess you could say industrial carabiners going for supercheap....If they are rated for the same or higher than our climbing specific biners then why should I not use them?

cintune

Sep 9, 2006, 2:10 AM
Post #2 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cheaper Charabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually because they're made of steel and weigh a lot more.

jorgle

Sep 9, 2006, 2:23 AM
Post #3 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, there are cheaper alternatives to BD. Usually you can find less expensive biners on-line. Faders is one company that makes inexpensive biners.
J

(This post was edited by jorgle on Dec 13, 2006, 7:22 AM)

nanoking

Sep 9, 2006, 3:16 AM
Post #4 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for those two cheap carabiner suggestions, Jorgle.

Do you have a link for Fusion Climb? Do you know of any US domestic distributors of Faders gear?

What do you consider a good price for a carabiner?

Thanks,

NK

rockguide

Sep 9, 2006, 4:05 AM
Post #5 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These will be available at an inexpensive rate http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ewtopic.php?t=119358

coolklimber

Sep 9, 2006, 4:37 AM
Post #6 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302690751&bmUID=1157776636066

jalapeno

Sep 9, 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #7 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the 6 pack of omega d's is a good deal

superbum

Sep 9, 2006, 6:19 PM
Post #8 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TRANGO CLASSIC WIREGATES! Best biners I own and the least expensive. $4.75 ea at gearexpress.com. NOT a cheapo carabiner. very well made, light, great size and cool colors!

word

Partner tattooed_climber

Sep 10, 2006, 1:49 AM
Post #9 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buy nine or buy twice.....cheaper biners may have the same rating, but when your super scetched out trying to clip a bolt and the gate on that faders POS is sticking, you wished you spend the extra 2 or 3 bucks...go buy some 'lucky' biners and you'll see what i mean....saw aboot a million of them returned at mec while i worked there

nothing but bd, dmm, petzl and wc on my rack...though, i do own(have) an omega oval i use for racking Pins....on the other hand i do have 127 biners between all the trad, alpine and aid gear...i need more ovals come to think of it

Partner brent_e

Sep 10, 2006, 2:21 AM
Post #10 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
TRANGO CLASSIC WIREGATES! Best biners I own and the least expensive. $4.75 ea at gearexpress.com. NOT a cheapo carabiner. very well made, light, great size and cool colors!

word

second that. these are great and almost all of my cams are on them. Love them. Good gate feel, too.

they're possibly the best for the money....in the history of the universe.

Brent

petsfed

Sep 10, 2006, 2:32 AM
Post #11 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
buy nine or buy twice.....cheaper biners may have the same rating, but when your super scetched out trying to clip a bolt and the gate on that faders POS is sticking, you wished you spend the extra 2 or 3 bucks...go buy some 'lucky' biners and you'll see what i mean....saw aboot a million of them returned at mec while i worked there

nothing but bd, dmm, petzl and wc on my rack...though, i do own(have) an omega oval i use for racking Pins....on the other hand i do have 127 biners between all the trad, alpine and aid gear...i need more ovals come to think of it

Totally. To be certain though, BD, Petzl, DMM and WC make some real clunkers too. Dynotrons suck. Spirits need to be reasonably well maintained or they don't age well. Wirelocks suck to clip. I have less experience with WC crabs though. Try before you BUY! Its easy to feel in the store how good gate action is. Let that be your guide. And as with all climbing gear, make money no object when it comes to picking the gear. Wait for sales, shop around if neccessary, but don't short change yourself. You'll only end up buying twice.

Partner angry

Sep 10, 2006, 2:39 AM
Post #12 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there a cheaper alternative to the BD Carabiners, or say any of the climbing companies...I see other, I guess you could say industrial carabiners going for supercheap....If they are rated for the same or higher than our climbing specific biners then why should I not use them?

Have you checked the prices of industrial snaplinks or quicklinks lately? To get ones with the same weight rating, you'll pay at least the same. Without the quality control,

"tri-sigma"
"Why should I?"

Partner angry

Sep 10, 2006, 2:43 AM
Post #13 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Spirits need to be reasonably well maintained or they don't age well.

If weight weren't an issue, the Petzl Spirit straight gate is hands down the finest biner ever made. Anyone who opposes this opinion has been caught touching children (it's a fact).

miavzero

Sep 10, 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #14 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm getting sick of fvcking noobs and gear qveers obsessing over diet, training, expansion ranges, penis size, carabiner weight and similar issues.

One of my very few concerns regarding carabiners: get whatever you can. I like my Petzl Spirits and other keylocks for the bolt clipping biner on steep/meandering sport routes (no notch to get caught on hangers).

Biner weight can be an issue for some folks, but most climbers who obsess over it are the type of hardcore that carries four sets of C4's, three sets of Stoppers, a set of wired hexes, three cordalettes, eight locking biners, two mallions, belay knife, ten shoulder slings, a headlamp and extra batteries, nut tool, tibloc, extra belay device, a filled to max capacity Camelback mule, camera, and pack of four ham samiches up to the hero bell at the top of their community rec center's beginner wall.

Partner tattooed_climber

Sep 11, 2006, 3:57 AM
Post #15 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Totally. To be certain though, BD, Petzl, DMM and WC make some real clunkers too. Dynotrons suck. Spirits need to be reasonably well maintained or they don't age well. Wirelocks suck to clip. I have less experience with WC crabs though. Try before you BUY! ts easy to feel in the store how good gate action is. Let that be your guide. And as with all climbing gear, make money no object when it comes to picking the gear. Wait for sales, shop around if neccessary, but don't short change yourself. You'll only end up buying twice.

true true....bd makes some real cheap 5 buckers too

but all my biners (between brand and model) have a reason on my rack...all the petzl biners are for diff aid systems (spirits for daisies, Owalls for aiders, OK for haulers, etc)..ovals for racking/aid..about 50 or 60 Dmm livewires for cams, ice draws and trad draws....i only have 4 WC oxygens for my aliens (nice affordable notchless biners).....the rest is a mix of BD hotwires, livewires and neutrinos

whatever.....everything have been researched and tested to find its place on my rack....a biner maybe a biner but my DMM big boas differ in use from a shitty faders locker

In reply to:
Try before you BUY!

WORD!!!.....i'm tried from every where of people asking about this or that....fucking get out there and try it!....go to the shop and swing those ice axes around to see how they feel....play with those cams or biners or whatever....some common sense goes a long way

superbum

Sep 11, 2006, 4:21 AM
Post #16 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm getting sick of fvcking noobs and gear qveers obsessing over diet, training, expansion ranges, penis size, carabiner weight and similar issues.

I like my Petzl Spirits and other keylocks for the bolt clipping biner on steep/meandering sport routes (no notch to get caught on hangers).

Petzl makes carabiners that are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! As much as you hate whiney obsessed climber, that is how much I hate expensive caabiners. Let's face it, Carabiners are not record breaking technology...sure thare are stinkers out there, but I will not pay over $7 for a carabiner! $6 is pushing it. I say go w/ Trango or Omega Pacific as they are the best and cheapest carabiners out there. BD oval wiregates are cheapish too!

anykineclimb

Sep 11, 2006, 4:48 AM
Post #17 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. big fan of Omega Pacific and Trango (their Classic Wires ROCK!!!)

but as others have said in this and other threads. try out brands and use what YOU like

leavingne

Sep 11, 2006, 5:07 AM
Post #18 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a bunch of BD Ovalwires last month, I think about $5.50 ea. Nice biners! About the same size as BD Neutrinos ($8 ea), nice gate action, wide opening (what do you call that anyway?) and just a bit heavier (but still pretty lightweight). Strength is sacrificed a little (23/7/7 kN vs. 24/8/8 or something like that, seems kinda marginal to me).

stymingersfink

Sep 11, 2006, 5:11 AM
Post #19 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are no biners cheaper than booty biners.

Petzl Spirit straight gate. Two of them. Today. YE-Haaaa!

PLUS, a trango flex-cam that was over-cammed a tad. It only took 3 min on lead to work it free.

BOO-TEEEEE!

sumo

Sep 11, 2006, 5:26 AM
Post #20 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://Biner weight can be an issue for some folks, but most climbers who obsess over it are the type of hardcore that carries four sets of C4's, three sets of Stoppers, a set of wired hexes, three cordalettes, eight locking biners, two mallions, belay knife, ten shoulder slings, a headlamp and extra batteries, nut tool, tibloc, extra belay device, a filled to max capacity Camelback mule, camera, and pack of four ham samiches up to the hero bell at the top of their community rec center's beginner wall.

That is pretty much me
but I also take a guide book, GPS unit, hikiing shoes, approach shoes, walk off shoes, belay shoes, and a chair to belay from.

How many biners do you need?
I agree with the buy nice or buy twice motto.

If you go with a cheaper binner it will still be safe but odds are you will not be happy with them in the long run.
The amount you would save between a 'cheap' biner and a BD biner might be a siginificant percentage. However, I would look at the actual dollar savings.

Shop the sales and for seconds

S

Partner heiko

Sep 11, 2006, 7:13 AM
Post #21 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
buy nine or buy twice.... [..]

nothing but bd, dmm, petzl and wc on my rack... [..]

Absolutely! I've just gone through the phase of buying for the second time, because I ended up being SO annoyed about the friggin notched biners I had gotten for "cheap". Biners are sth you will have for a long time, consider that.

lextalion

Sep 11, 2006, 7:30 AM
Post #22 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I purchased my C-4's last spring I got Mamut wire gate biners for something like $6.00 each.

They are standard size and don't seem to weight alot either. So far I've been very pleased with the purchase. Typically I have OP five-o wire gates & trango superflies along with a bunch of BD wire gates.

Talk to Travis over at Desert Rock sports in Las Vegas. He'll let you in on the details of the Marmots biners.

mattyp

Sep 11, 2006, 8:05 AM
Post #23 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sell plasma, sell your children, liquidate your savings, take a second or even third mortage on your house. Do whatever it takes to get the most expensive and state of the art gear. I mean, your gear gets you to the top, right?

petsfed

Sep 12, 2006, 3:11 AM
Post #24 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I like my Petzl Spirits and other keylocks for the bolt clipping biner on steep/meandering sport routes (no notch to get caught on hangers).

Petzl makes carabiners that are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! As much as you hate whiney obsessed climber, that is how much I hate expensive caabiners. Let's face it, Carabiners are not record breaking technology...sure thare are stinkers out there, but I will not pay over $7 for a carabiner! $6 is pushing it. I say go w/ Trango or Omega Pacific as they are the best and cheapest carabiners out there. BD oval wiregates are cheapish too!

Spirits have dropped in price a ton over the years. You can thank BD for that. For my money though, I will never own another OP carabiner. The only exception is the Jake locker. The rest just suck. The Five-O and the JC just aren't very good. Good design, but gate action sucks, and they're way too small.

And if you're rocking all Light Ds, or Ovals, the 70s called, they want their gear back.

Partner angry

Sep 12, 2006, 3:18 AM
Post #25 of 28 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And if you're rocking all Light Ds, or Ovals, the 70s called, they want their gear back.

One of the best climbers I've ever met has almost nothing but Choinard Light D's. They don't seem to be holding him back.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook