Premier Sponsor:

refusedpartyprogram

Sep 12, 2006, 3:24 PM
Post #1 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

shac7 sentenced today
Report this Post
Can't Post

"The SHAC 7 are 6 animal rights activists and the organization Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty USA (SHAC USA) who were convicted on March 12, 2006, under the controversial Federal Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act. The Act punishes anyone who "physically disrupts" an animal enterprise. The charges stem from these activists' alleged participation in an international campaign to close the notorious product testing lab Huntingdon Life Sciences.

Specifically, these activists are alleged to have operated a website that reported on and expressed ideological support for protest activity against Huntingdon and its business affiliates. For this they are charged with "terrorism" and face an aggregate of 23 years in Federal Prison.

The SHAC 7 case is the latest in an onslaught of attacks against domestic dissedents under the guise of fighting terrorism. Animal rights is a "fringe" issue and the government is banking on the broader social justice movement to turn a blind eye to those focusing on the “less important” issue of animals and expressing “extremist” views. But make no mistake - these activists are the canaries in the mine. This case is intended to pave the way for further silencing of activists involved in all issues. It is imperative that the broader social justice movement stand behind these activists in our communal defense of free speech, press, and association. Support the SHAC 7 and support your right to free expression!"

more at http://www.shac7.com/case.htm

Partner j_ung

Sep 12, 2006, 3:37 PM
Post #2 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Re: shac7 sentenced today [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And still more at the Philly Enquirer.
In reply to:
The government said the group, based in Philadelphia, waged a five-year campaign against Huntingdon Life Sciences, posting on its Web site information about the employees at its East Millstone lab and about those who do business with the company. The information included their home phone numbers, addresses, and where their children attended school. Many of those people saw their homes vandalized, and they and their families received threatening e-mails, faxes and phone calls.

I'm all for animal rights. Hell, I'm a vegetarian. But that seems to go a little beyond just "expression" to me.

fenix83

Sep 12, 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #3 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto on animal rights (although I despise PETA), but these morons were putting the families and children of those on the list in serious jeopardy with their stupidity. I'd call it a fair sentence.

My GF is a vegeterian too, she has never, ever had any sort of dead animal (and she hates it when I call them that), yet she respects my right to eat beef and I respect her right not too (especially because it means more meat for me). :lol:

Imagine that, two people with diametrically opposed views getting along through mutual respect. Her respect does not mean tht she will not try to get me to eat tofu or soy, which I refuse to do.

-F

jpdreamer

Sep 13, 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #4 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You refuse to eat tofu or soy? Well, I suspect you already eat quite a bit of soy (as it's used in so many processed goods), but seriously you should give tofu a chance, it's pretty tasty. (it's not like once you try it you can never eat meat again)

rockguide

Sep 13, 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #5 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes they crossed the line and (IMHO) should be punished with existing laws. Applying the label "terrorists" is inaccurate and will interfere with a fair trial.

republiclimber

Sep 13, 2006, 1:15 AM
Post #6 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.harpseals.org/...nteryellowjacket.jpg
Yeah TAKE IT.

thegreytradster

Sep 13, 2006, 1:17 AM
Post #7 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good!

Hope they all get the 23 year maximum.

I know people who had only the most tenuous connections with Huntington that they have terrorized.

No difference between them and Al Quieda, The Klan, Shien Fein or Abortion clinic bombers. Only a matter of scale and effectiveness.

People
Eeating
Tasty
Animals

nikegirl

Sep 13, 2006, 4:42 AM
Post #8 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just saw this, and want to slamm my fist down your throat!!!

ok, just that damn picture...(not you for real... but it did cross my mind)

but beeeeejeeebus!!!
this picture.... eeps!!

:shock: ;)

~T

fenix83

Sep 13, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #9 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You refuse to eat tofu or soy? Well, I suspect you already eat quite a bit of soy (as it's used in so many processed goods), but seriously you should give tofu a chance, it's pretty tasty. (it's not like once you try it you can never eat meat again)

Soy, I know I eat a lot of, I mean soy-patties.

Tofu, I don't know, it gives me the creeps... and it gives me hours of funny debate with my GF's mom, who is hardcore vegetarian.

-F

zozo

Sep 13, 2006, 3:18 PM
Post #10 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

No difference between them and Al Quieda, The Klan, Shien Fein or Abortion clinic bombers. Only a matter of scale and effectiveness.

You left one out........

refusedpartyprogram

Sep 13, 2006, 4:28 PM
Post #11 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kevin Kjonaas: 72 months (was facing 9 to 11 years)
Lauren Gazzola: 54 months (was facing 9 to 11 years)
Jacob Conroy: 48 months (was facing 10 to 13 years)

In addition, the court ordered the (penniless) defendants to pay $1,000,001 in restitution

Josh Harper will be sentenced tomorrow, September 13th, at 9 am.

Andrew Stepanian and Darius Fullmer will be sentenced next Tuesday, September 19th, at 9 am.

I'm not vegitarian and i fully back all of these people. I seriously grinned ear to ear when i first read about them and the current state of that company. (the $1 million restitution wont even dent their current debt of $87 million)

thegreytradster

Sep 13, 2006, 6:08 PM
Post #12 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you back people that were threatening to repeatedly blow up a bank building with a few hundred people in it, threatened peoples families and children, committed arson?

with the criminal trial over I hope some of the people they threatened go after them civilly also.

Partner macherry

Sep 13, 2006, 6:15 PM
Post #13 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So you back people that were threatening to repeatedly blow up a bank building with a few hundred people in it, threatened peoples families and children, committed arson?

with the criminal trial over I hope some of the people they threatened go after them civilly also.

i agree with tradster on this one. These folks are terrorists. Reminds me of the anti-abortionists that terrorize planned parenthood workers, bomb clinics and even kill abortion providers.

it always amazes me the hypocrisy in defending animal rights with violence....... :?

wjca

Sep 13, 2006, 6:45 PM
Post #14 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You think they'll eat meat in prison? I suppose if they think of it as tossing a salad, it won't be all that bad.

"I like mine with syrup."

Who am I kidding. It don't matter what you call it, its still really bad.

epic_ed

Sep 13, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #15 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not vegitarian and i fully back all of these people...

Well, then that makes you a f ucking idiot. You advocate violence and vandalism against people you have an ideological "beef" with in order to try to get them to comply with your desires. That's against the law, and they got nailed for it -- and so would you.

Ed

Partner epoch

Sep 13, 2006, 7:20 PM
Post #16 of 16 (689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In addition, the court ordered the (penniless) defendants to pay $1,000,001 in restitution

I like the $1 tacked on the end. It's sort of a kick in the junk, seeing that they are broke.

Oh, and I'll take my baby seal medium well..........

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook