Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
clear creek beta?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

thewyseclimber

Sep 21, 2006, 1:19 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2028 views)
Shortcut

clear creek beta?  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Front_Range: Clear_Creek_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Today at REI I was told that there's no guidebook for Clear Creek Canyon. My buddies and I are planning to head to High Wire Crag this weekend, and I would appreciate any help anyone can offer as far as specific route identification, or, more importantly, where exactly to find the approach. I was told to park just past the second tunnel. And, if you know of a place I can acquire the apparent guidebook, that would be great too. thanks.

djoseph

Sep 21, 2006, 3:07 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Re: clear creek beta? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On the guidebook: If memory serves, I think that I picked up a copy for a friend a few years ago at Neptune Mountaineering. Might want to give them a call.

On the beta for CCC and High Wire: Try Mountainproject.com's Clear Creek Canyon or High Wire Crag areas.

Dan

djlachelt

Sep 21, 2006, 4:13 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Re: clear creek beta? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm.

Clear Creek Canyon Sport Climbers Guide by Mark Rolofson
copyright 1999 (with 3 editions prior to that also). 65 pages.

I'm sure I got my copy at REI, probabaly the one in Fort Collins, but I think I saw one also at the Denver store.

There are also a few pages in: Rock Climbing Colorado by Stewart Green published by Falcon.

Here's the scoop from the CCCSCG.

HIGH WIRE CRAG (Left Side - East Side of Second Tunnel) * This crag offers 15 sport climbs (2-5 stars - 5.7 - 5.13a) including the People's Choice, a two pitch (170 ft.) 5.10d. Most of the climbs are 5.9 to 5.10. Year round climbing possibilities. Shade for summer in later afternoon. Winter morning sun.

Park east of the second tunnel. To approach, walk up along the road to the bridge. After the bridge leave the road to the left (south) and scramble up ledges left of the entrance of tunnel 2. The easy ledges turn into a casual grassy hillside above one cliff and below another cliff, which is the Left Side of High Wire Crag. This crag provies a great warm-up for the very overhung climbs at the Wall of Justice.

Enjoy!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook