Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

bill413

Sep 8, 2006, 9:03 PM
Post #51 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why is booze "bad"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you drive with the cap to your beer in your hand so you can cap er and slip her back in the sixpack when the cops pull you over YOU MOST LIKLY HAVE A DRINKING PROBLEM 8^)
If you think that little trick is going to actually fool the cops YOU DEFINATLY HAVE A DRINKING PROBLEM :roll:
:lol: :lol:

adklimber

Sep 8, 2006, 9:25 PM
Post #52 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw a report on the Italian cross country skiing team (the year they won gold in the Olympics), and the captain of the team was going off on how he drinks wine (and he made it sound like a lot!!) during training. We're talking one of the most cardiovascular intense races on the planet.

Maybe it is the mindset. He seemed to be convinced that drinking was good for the body while training.

sandlixard

Sep 9, 2006, 1:00 AM
Post #53 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I saw a report on the Italian cross country skiing team (the year they won gold in the Olympics), and the captain of the team was going off on how he drinks wine (and he made it sound like a lot!!) during training. We're talking one of the most cardiovascular intense races on the planet.

Maybe it is the mindset. He seemed to be convinced that drinking was good for the body while training.

heh, that reminds me of in the old days when they thought smoking made your lungs stronger!

tradmanclimbs

Sep 11, 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #54 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are thousands of pro athlets out there with drug and booze problems.. The NFL is probobly the poster child but many other athlets are caught up in it. At least half the Blackbelts in my dojo were alchoholics, Ceatainly pleanty of top level climbers with drug and alchohol addiction. I have known many boxers w/ serious drinking problems. I don't know the cycling scene that well and it seems like such an insane endurance sport but it still wouldn't supprise me if there were at least a few alchies in the mix.......

shanz

Sep 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #55 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hrm seems like this same line of discussions crops up on almost a daily occurance, everyone wants to climb harder and be better at this lifestyle we love. Alcohol is not good for you but yet theres something serene about poping a guiness or taking a good sip of fine scotch at the end of a long day of climbing. Smoking is bad for you yet id say about half the climbers i run into smoke tobacco (even if it american spirit its still tobacco). Then we go the the vegitarian camp they are even divided on what is good whether to go pure vegan or just certain foods. (now dont get your panties in a wad im not judging) Even discussions ive had on the effects of sugar which is considered to be one of the worst things for us (no positive effects - all negative) well i figure we can either quit drinking, quit smoking anything, cut out all meat and dairy products and never consume another grain of sugar, and ill bet you dont climb any harder for it in fact i can pretty much bet you will actually become weaker. Maybe if the focus is directed more to technique you might just climb harder. I guess my point is this i have read alot of articles on free soloers out there when asked about their climbing and the risks they tended to respond, " never really thought about it that much" Maybe we try too hard to mentally to make excuses why we dont climb harder (myself included) or try to unlock pandoras box on why we cant hit the next hardest gradeby altering what we ingest. Instead we should focuse on the climbing and enjoy life.

tradmanclimbs

Sep 11, 2006, 1:10 PM
Post #56 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it legal to drink scotch in kentucky?? I thought that was Bourbon country :D By the way this whole soberiety thing is over rated. besides that fact that I have lost some weight and am saveing a bunch of money I stil feel like $hit in the morning and i don't climb any harder :roll:

janderson4010

Sep 12, 2006, 3:37 AM
Post #57 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well shanz I was talkin about pot but tobacco, ok. If you couldn't tell i'm a bit tipsy

tomma

Sep 14, 2006, 3:41 PM
Post #58 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i recently watched an interview with a german cyclist who participated in the tour de france this year,

the group which he races for (gerolsteiner) hires a profesional cook who prepares special high quality meals individually tailored for each cyclist,

and the guy i watch does drink a glass of wine every night before going to bed..

so armstrong's non-drinking is his individual rule, probably..

in professional cycling, however, some athletes might avoid alcohol,
so that it doesn't interfere with the 'supplements' they take :wink:

dukethedog

Sep 14, 2006, 4:06 PM
Post #59 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey waitress, bring us a pitcher every 5 minutes until someone passes out, then bring us one every 8 minutes....

tradmanclimbs

Sep 14, 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #60 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You just might have a drinking problem there Duke 8^)
If you have ever purposly abstained from drinking water at the tail end of a long hot climbing day so as to Not compromise your beer buzz you just might....... :twisted:

deadhorse

Sep 24, 2006, 1:46 AM
Post #61 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As is evidenced (is that a word?) by my earlier posts on this thread, I love me some drinky drink- but that's all stopped now. I just began a medication that does not agree (in the liver) with alcohol so none for me now. I can be a good controlled experiment of progress rates. so far (a little over a week) I've made some good progress in the gym, but more than anything else find myself itching to climb more, because i don't go to parties at night anymore... so it's not just chemical difference but also social.

paganmonkeyboy

Sep 24, 2006, 2:48 AM
Post #62 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Alcohol isn't a drug IT'S A DRINK.

dude, you *must* be high or something...

nilregrets

Sep 24, 2006, 3:27 AM
Post #63 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quite simply alcohol is a poison, not saying I don’t enjoy indulging in moderation from time to time, but the body still needs to work to counterbalance the effects of taking it in. I guess if you’ve worked so hard to compete at the level some athletes are at, doing anything that might set you back even the slightest bit is just senseless.

zeke_sf

Sep 24, 2006, 4:22 AM
Post #64 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
heh, that reminds me of in the old days when they thought smoking made your lungs stronger!

oh! now we're going to throw baseless slander at good ol' Vitamin Nicotine? I'm outraged! :lol:

jt512

Sep 24, 2006, 4:26 AM
Post #65 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothin' wrong with a wee margarita now and then after climbing...

http://annak.smugmug.com/photos/72476742-M.jpg

desertdude420

Sep 24, 2006, 6:19 AM
Post #66 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you're worried about alcohol, you should see what getting stoned every night does to you.

Most of the world class outdoor athletes that I know smoke pot almost daily. Rock climbers, bikers, kyakers, skiers, runners, etc..., What are you bashing pot smokers for? We'll take you to school boy!

Whiskey and watery beer is always on my camping gear checklist when heading into the desert. Let's not let the goodie goodie yuppies lame-out rock climbing like they lamed-out mountain biking! "Sack up" girly man!!!

brianmccully

Sep 24, 2006, 7:49 AM
Post #67 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a confession
I am drunk and I drink alot, usually alone,
Having said that I have something to say trying to get back to the original question

Most of you are wrong particular Reno, I know most u have Phd's in Biochem and teach College of Medicine Classes so I would like to extend my deepest apologize for my over aggorant statements as I am just a lowly college student in his seventh year of undergraduate studeies. Alcohol does have CALORIES and can cause WEIGHT Gain. As well as reduce the number of ribosomes and protein synthesis there a plethora of very bad atheletic consequences but i know for me trying to pull pass that V2 requires more than me quiting drinking alone late at night. And as some who first saw this post when it was in page one I will not lower myself to the level of pretentiousness as to post the Biochemical pathways as I know most you know how to use google.
I apologize again as I am to drunk to be writing anything and I tried using a pseudo name but couldnt figure it out I just wanted to answer the man's orginal question as there are very limiting effects of alcohol on the body.
Can any of u use this link file:///F:/biochem/index.htm

nilregrets

Sep 24, 2006, 1:37 PM
Post #68 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, alcohol has very limiting effect on the body… if not overdone. For some athletes those limiting effects might be enough to makes them avoid consumption, but not for me. I don’t compete, and even if I did, I wouldn’t be that serious. So drink up, enjoy your self. I don’t know about you but I’m not winning the tour de France or the world championship in any sport… anytime soon at least.

daithi

Sep 24, 2006, 2:37 PM
Post #69 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Most of the world class outdoor athletes that I know smoke pot almost daily. Rock climbers, bikers, kyakers, skiers, runners, etc..., What are you bashing pot smokers for? We'll take you to school boy!

I doubt this is representative of the majority of actual world class athletes. Cannabinoids (e.g. hashish, marijuana) are on the prohibited list of the World Anti-Doping Agency. Sports people in the past ranging from soccer players, cyclists, snowboarders, climbers, boxers and even snooker players have all failed tests for the use of recreational drugs. I doubt the majority of elite athletes are careless enough to fail a test for recreational drugs. If you want to play a sport at an elite level and don't want to fail a drug test for the use of recreational drugs join the PGA tour!

slowhand

Sep 24, 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #70 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why the hell was I drinking tequilla and wine last night? This feeling right now is the only reason booze is bad. :oops:

mattyp

Sep 24, 2006, 5:55 PM
Post #71 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did anyone mention it is a depressant? A waste of money too I might add. Just think, if you didn't drink for 2 months, you could afford that brand new set of ultralight cams! Not a bad idea, huh?
:lol:

I see that many of you refer to "World Class Athletes" that smoke, drink, do drugs, and all manner of things. This is bogus logic. What are the chances that they would perform better and more consistently is they didn't pump all that crap into their bodies? Anyone who says it doesn't negatively effect the body is on something...uh, what were we talking about?

happybob

Sep 24, 2006, 6:08 PM
Post #72 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Did anyone mention it is a depressant? A waste of money too I might add. Just think, if you didn't drink for 2 months, you could afford that brand new set of ultralight cams! Not a bad idea, huh?
:lol:

Ah, the economics of alcohol. For a set of ultra light cams, you can buy enough bottom shelf liquor to fill a swimming pool... Well, maybe not quite that much, but alot, plus you don't have to worry about broken glass when it all comes in plastic jugs! :)

puerto

Sep 24, 2006, 6:47 PM
Post #73 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ernest Hemingway - American writer, who had this to say of Paris in the 1920s: "Sometimes I wish I’d went through those good times stone cold sober so I could remember everything, but then again, if I had been sober the times probably wouldn’t have been worth remembering."

Winston Churchill - English politician whose relationship with alcohol nursed him through the tremors of World War II. Always quotable, one of Churchill's personal mantras included, "My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Pol Roger champagne famously made pint bottles solely for Churchill's consumption. After a lifetime of drinking, he concluded that he had "taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."

from Wikipedia's list of Iconic drinkers

But seriously, one thing is to go on a bender when you're 20, try doing that when you're 35+ and your climbing will undoubtedly suffer the next day, if you even make it out climbing at all..

ignignot

Sep 26, 2006, 6:08 PM
Post #74 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to say that alcohol is beneficial to training at all, but its health benefits over long term are well documented. There are studies going all the way back to 1910 or so. There is a U shaped survival curve. (don't believe me, check wikipedia and then check its sources)

What that means is that people who drink too much alcohol tend to die sooner, and people who don't drink any alcohol tend to die sooner. This isn't dependant on if it is wine (although red wine is slightly better due to anti-ox) or beer or whatever. It is likely that this is just due to a reduction in stress, but that is secondary. A drink every other day to 2 drinks a day will make you live longer.

So yes, alcohol is a poison if taken in large quantities. So is vitamin A. Yes, plenty of people have problems with alcohol and I am not suggesting that they should drink. But if you can handle drinking without becoming an addict, you'll probably live longer than everyone else if you drink.

stagg54

Sep 26, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #75 of 85 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to quote the new red River Gorge guidebook :

"Beer and climbing go together like beer and climbing"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook