RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

chumbawumba

Sep 28, 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Question re: Etriers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did my first aid climb this past weekend. It was the Lost Arrow Spire Tip in Yosemite. The route was a blast and I managed to take an 8 foot fall from the C2 hook move which was pretty exciting with all the air below. Prior to Saturday I had never practiced aid climbing and had only tested out my ascenders on a 30 foot piece of choss down the street from my house in San Francisco.

One thing that struck me was the fact that it was really hard to keep my feet in the etriers when jugging. In fact, when I did the Tyrolean traverse from the tip back to the rim of the valley I repeatedly ended up with the etrier around my knee.

Is this a matter of practice or is there a trick to keeping your feet in the etriers? ( I was using black diamond etriers if it makes a difference.)

the_dude

Sep 28, 2006, 6:39 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Re: Question re: Etriers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Break' em in so they're not so stiff. BDs in general stick straight out to the side. Also, get a feel for the foot-hand coordination. when you know your going to stop moving your jug, keep pressure on your foot. Don't think about the metolious easy aiders, they're a waste of time, good for jugging but suck for aiding. The easy daisies on the other hand are the shit.

chumbawumba

Sep 28, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks.

I figured that its a matter of practice but was curious if I was just missing something.

I was using easy daisy chains and they worked great.

One other question. What is the proper adjustment for daisy's when jugging? I had the bottom ascender very close to the harness and the top ascender was a little closer than my fully extended arm. It seemed to work but judging by how sore I was after a relatively short climb I know I expended tons of extra energy.

Mark

summerprophet

Sep 28, 2006, 7:16 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all I wish I could help with the settings for jugging, but that is really determined by preferences and body size. Spend some time hanging on a rope to determine what works for you. Mkae sure you can still reach your top jug while you are sitting from your daisys though. Once you have them down mark the loops in your daisies with tape so you will always be able to quickly assemble your setup.

As far as your feet falling out, that is easilly fixed. The footloops in black diamand (and most other) aiders are just the right size so that if you stick your foot in a loop, then fold the loop into an eight, and flip the lower part over the top of your foot it will fit tightly.

yetanotherdave

Sep 28, 2006, 8:23 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My yates ladders came with elastic in steps 4 and 5. This can be flipped over your feet to keep them in when jugging. The difference this makes is HUGE!

I've since sewn elastic into my pocket aiders as well. I wish they were made this way initially, it'd be easy to do a clean sewing job in the factory, harder to patch them later.

caughtinside

Sep 28, 2006, 8:49 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what summerprophet said.

And dude? Beaver street wall choss? THat place is all time! :P

chumbawumba

Sep 29, 2006, 3:43 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice.

krusher4

Oct 10, 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cavers have a rig they tie for jugging. You tie an overhand in each side of about a 5 foot lengh of cord then put a figure 8 in the middle and clip that to your lower ascender. It's a breeze really sweet for free jugging.

microbarn

Oct 10, 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I did my first aid climb this past weekend. It was the Lost Arrow Spire Tip in Yosemite. The route was a blast and I managed to take an 8 foot fall from the C2 hook move which was pretty exciting with all the air below. Prior to Saturday I had never practiced aid climbing and had only tested out my ascenders on a 30 foot piece of choss down the street from my house in San Francisco.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/...ay_Demonstration.jpg

musicman

Oct 10, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My yates ladders came with elastic in steps 4 and 5. This can be flipped over your feet to keep them in when jugging. The difference this makes is HUGE!

I've since sewn elastic into my pocket aiders as well. I wish they were made this way initially, it'd be easy to do a clean sewing job in the factory, harder to patch them later.

i've heard/seen people who take a bicycle tube (for a tire...duh) and cut a strip off (measure around your foot), then tie it around the step in the etrier. you can then pull it around you foot so it keeps the step against the bottom of your foot, and when you don't need to use it the tube will just hang free from the step.

musicman

Oct 10, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

i've heard/seen people who take a bicycle tube (for a tire...duh) and cut a strip off (measure around your foot), then tie it around the step in the etrier. you can then pull it around you foot so it keeps the step against the bottom of your foot, and when you don't need to use it the tube will just hang free from the step.

fixednut

Oct 11, 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it was really hard to keep my feet in the etriers when jugging

I think the problem, Pierre, is that you're pronouncing "aiders" incorrectly.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook