Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Gunks: Where's the rap off Bloody bush?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gblauer

Sep 3, 2006, 7:29 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1677 views)
Shortcut

Gunks: Where's the rap off Bloody bush?  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Upstate: The_Gunks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We just did Bloody Bush, it's a great climb...but...we couldn't find a rap station. (there was an oak tree at the top of the first pitch, it had rings/slings, but the tree was DEAD and I though I would be DEAD if I rapped of it). We never found the Arch rap station.

We ended up climbing up a 3rd pitch (lichen covered rock) and walking to the Baby rap station.

Thanks!

Partner rgold

Sep 3, 2006, 9:34 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1677 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gunks: Where's the rap off Bloody bush? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You shouldn't have any problem finding the Arch bolts if you have Grey Dick. They are perhaps 200 feet to the right (when facing the cliff, i.e. what climbers call North). You have to drop down from the trail level to find them.

There used to be a rap station at a pine tree on a ledge at the end of the traverse under the overhangs on the second pitch. Since you mentioned a third pitch, you probably belayed at this pine tree. Since you didn't find a rappel anchor there, I assume someone has cut it down, and a very good thing they did. That rappel went over the loosest rock in the Trapps. It was almost impossible, during the process of throwing the ropes, rappelling, and retrieving the ropes, not to dislodge dangerous-sized rocks, either onto parties below or onto yourself.

lucander

Oct 2, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gail,
Ditto on the Arch rap. I rapped Bloody Bush with a buddy in May or so and we were going off of some scary dead trees. I sure was glad to be a lightweight on those...
David

jsh

Oct 2, 2006, 5:01 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last time I looked, Bloody Bush did have a scary-looking rap tree on it. Ideally, someone would chop it.

At the GT, you can easily walk climber's left, and rap from a big tree above Trusty Rifle (or Rusty Trifle, I can't keep those straight).

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook