Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

skidawg

Oct 2, 2006, 3:11 AM
Post #1 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

What type of stove do you use?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As a hiker and mountaineer, I've used the Snow Peak giga power, and MSR whisperlight stoves because of their field maintainability and weight. Recently however I ran across a bunch of sites with people making their own alcohol stoves out of soda cans, which are less dangerous, much simpler and are so light and small, they might as well not be there at all. Today I made such a stove ( http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html ) and think it might be good enough to compete with my trusted white gas stoves. The stove I made didn't last long on one fill (about 11min) and only lasted ~2min. longer with the simmer ring however. There are obvious benefits and downsides to all forms of stoves out there, but I'm wondering what all of you use. I'm hoping to hear from people that have experience with more than just one type/brand, but all the same, I'm curious to see what all of you have adopted as a tried and trusted stove over the years.

climbxclimb

Oct 2, 2006, 4:05 AM
Post #2 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Re: What type of stove do you use? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MSR XGK a jet engine!!!!

thetroutscout

Oct 2, 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #3 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used them all, the most recent being said alcohol stove. I read about them too, researched and made a few of my own. I thought it cool being able to make my own stove, sticking it to the man who'd cost me a small fortune in my other stove purchases. Well, the man has a good point. Finally after find and making my most efficient stove I boiled water in slightly less than 10 minutes. The stoves are small, don't hold pots well, are hard to load fuel into, you can't see the flame(easy to burn yourself)and a bunch of other stupid little things. I will gladly pay for my nice, new, efficient and expensive store bought stoves/fuel from now on. It was pretty cool cooking on my own stove. But once said hassles were over and my food done the rest of my buddies had cooked, eaten and cleaned. There really is something to pushing a button and less than three minutes your water boiling and it's worth paying for. For the record I mainly use a MSR Whisperlite in the winter and a MSR pocket rocket or Jetboil in the Summer.

^^ike

thetroutscout

Oct 2, 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #4 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used them all, the most recent being said alcohol stove. I read about them too, researched and made a few of my own. I thought it cool being able to make my own stove, sticking it to the man who'd cost me a small fortune in my other stove purchases. Well, the man has a good point. Finally after find and making my most efficient stove I boiled water in slightly less than 10 minutes. The stoves are small, don't hold pots well, are hard to load fuel into, you can't see the flame(easy to burn yourself)and a bunch of other stupid little things. I will gladly pay for my nice, new, efficient and expensive store bought stoves/fuel from now on. It was pretty cool cooking on my own stove. But once said hassles were over and my food done the rest of my buddies had cooked, eaten and cleaned. There really is something to pushing a button and less than three minutes your water boiling and it's worth paying for. For the record I mainly use a MSR Whisperlite in the winter and a MSR pocket rocket or Jetboil in the Summer.

^^ike

thetroutscout

Oct 2, 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #5 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^ike

bmelanson

Oct 2, 2006, 1:36 PM
Post #6 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a whisperlite internat, its my first and only stove, ive used it alot over the summer, its not to heavy at all. I would suggest it to anyone just because of all the different type of fuels it can take.

climberforhim

Oct 2, 2006, 1:46 PM
Post #7 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a jet boil and love it

vegastradguy

Oct 2, 2006, 2:00 PM
Post #8 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i probably shouldnt even be answering this since i dont cook when i camp- but then i'm a car camper in the extreme...BUT, i did go to the OR show and saw a new stove from MSR that looked pretty impressive.

their new Reactor is their response to Jetboil (well, unofficial response). The cool thing about it is that altitude and temperature do not affect the stove's performance since it's standard pressure when at full power is at roughly the same pressure it would get at altitude and a low temp. It also gets 8 more boils out of a canister than other canister stoves. Impressive, yes?

Anyway, I'm hoping to get this little toy out to my alpinist this fall/winter season for testing- so look for the review right around the time the stove is released......

oh, and for the record- i'm a jetboil whore- its the perfect stove for my lazy ass....

qtm

Oct 2, 2006, 2:31 PM
Post #9 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

^^ike

They're fun to make and fun to play around with, but I won't use one again on the trail.

You don't set pots right on the alcohol stove, but put the stove in the middle of a larger can like a big coffee can. That acts as a wind screen as well. Not to say that works all that well, especially when it's windy and wet. I'm sure they're great if you're in the desert and have the time to sit back and enjoy a slow cooked meal, but when it 's wet, windy and cold, when your fingers are numb, it's nice to just screw on a canister stove and have boiling water three minutes later.

As for which stoves I use, I use the Whisperlite Internationale, MSR Pocket Rocket, and JetBoil. JetBoil is great for cold climbing days when you don't need a hot meal but a hot drink really hits the spot.

shakylegs

Oct 2, 2006, 3:00 PM
Post #10 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the whisperlite as well. Unfortuantely, I've noticed this past season that fuel leaks out of the flame-adjustment valve when I first open it up for priming.
Anyone know what I should do to fix this?
Besides that, love the stove.

jr05

Oct 2, 2006, 3:32 PM
Post #11 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is anybody else as excited about the new MSR Reactor stove as I am? Hopefully it will work as well as it is said to. The low pressure requirement is a great step up for the canister stove industry. The only question I have about the stove is the cool down period. It is heated with radiant heat from heating a plate which then transmits the heat to the pot....how long is this plate going to take to cool down after use. Guess we will have to wait and see...

As for the thread question. I use both canister and fuel tank stoves, depends on the trip (altitude, fuel availability, etc). I have only used MSR stoves, but have found both types of their stoves to be excellent.

wyrdrocks

Oct 2, 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #12 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been camping for years, and the best stove I have used is the Whisperlite International. I took it with me on the PCT and use it on all backpacking trips, but when I car camp, I enjoy using my homemade soda can stove, it's just fun.

skidawg

Oct 2, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #13 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies...they were all more or less what I expected to see I guess. The more I read about the alcohol stoves and the more I tried mine out, it seemed to be much less efficient and just not as sturdy for those long trips where stepping on it would put you out of luck (amoung wll the other little reasons). Maybe for car camping, but otherwise, I think I'll be sticking to my whisperlite.

skidawg

Oct 2, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #14 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies...they were all more or less what I expected to see I guess. The more I read about the alcohol stoves and the more I tried mine out, it seemed to be much less efficient and just not as sturdy for those long trips where stepping on it would put you out of luck (amoung wll the other little reasons). Maybe for car camping, but otherwise, I think I'll be sticking to my whisperlite.

altelis

Oct 2, 2006, 5:39 PM
Post #15 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shakylegs----i work for an outdoor tripping company for high school students and do a lot of their gear managment stuff. at the beginning of this summer while testing all the stoves a lot of our 1 year old msr dragonfly pumps had a similar problem. they pressurized fine but when you turned the valve on at the pump they sprayed fuel everywhere....a lot of fun to clean up seeing as we were on a concrete slab----burn baby burn!

we sent them back to msr and i think they are/did look into this as a possible warranty/malfunction type issue. if i remember correctly they sent us replacements, asap and free.

they are great folks over at msr and always want to know about possible malfunction trends in their gear----give 'em a call.

~alex

desertdude420

Oct 2, 2006, 5:41 PM
Post #16 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a lightweight MSR whisperlite for backpacking but find myself car-camping 90% of the time, so my stove of choice is a Coleman two burner with a designated folding stand and an upgraded propane tank. It always works, doesn't catch fire, need assembly, or get clogged. As I get older, I find comfort and simplicity more and more important.

I realized this on a trip to castle valley when in the morning, I was boiling water (wrestling w/ a wimpy backpacking stove on the ground next to my bivy sac while my buddies stepped out of their camper vans/shells and hit one button on their Coleman's and kicked back.)

reno

Oct 2, 2006, 5:49 PM
Post #17 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have the whisperlite as well. Unfortuantely, I've noticed this past season that fuel leaks out of the flame-adjustment valve when I first open it up for priming.
Anyone know what I should do to fix this?

My Wisperlite is packed away in a box somewhere, so I'm going by memory:

Assuming there isn't a gasket or o-ring that can be replaced, I'd send it back to MSR. Friends of mine have spoken well of MSR's warranty and how they stand behind their product... I would not be surprised if they sent you a new part.

To the OP: I use the Wisperlite, and also have the MSR Superfly. Like 'em both.

westtexasrocker

Oct 2, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #18 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok this will probably make some gear tech weenie really sour but I just bought one of those single burner, mount on the Coleman fuel cannister type stoves for $14 at Academy Sports and the thing will boil water in like 30-45 seconds. No bullshit, did it several times while climbing at Enchanted Rock this past weekend. Just some cheap ass brand, can't even remember the name. Bottom line, it was cheap, it worked awsome, it didn't weigh a ton, and I was cookin' food. enough said.

desertdude420

Oct 2, 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #19 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Backpacking stoves are like expedition tents. Most likely they will never be used in the intense situations that they were designed for. I was one of the 'gear heads' that wanted the lightest, most tricked-out, fragile, complicated, and expensive items available. Now I keeps it real. I still do have a 4 0z. stove that fits in my front pocket and can be used at hanging belays, and a 5 lb. four season tent that can be buried in snow survive 60 mph winds.... But they are both lonely and live in the back of my gear closet.

westtexasrocker

Oct 2, 2006, 6:46 PM
Post #20 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, and I have an REI mountaineering tent too that stayed at home this weekend because my son and I wanted a little more elbow room. We took the ole' $25 Coleman 7x7 dome tent for a little more room and so he could get a little further from my snoring :D Pack was a little weighty but I survived. Had a great time still with all that "crappy" gear too.

climbia

Oct 2, 2006, 7:22 PM
Post #21 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use them all but the alcohol. Solo and making drinks equals jetboil. Backpacking is the whisperlite. Car camping gets the single propane coleman. A group at the campground bust out the double burner coleman. Alcohol stove sounds cool but I think it's mainly used by people cutting their toothbrushs in half. :lol:

buddha_monkee

Oct 2, 2006, 7:41 PM
Post #22 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used the same dragonfly for about 8 or 9 years. I love it. Only complaint is that it can be loud. I had a problem with the original pump, but a buddy of mine at an outdoor store simply repaced it with one from a stove in stock. Heh. I lost the second pump - and the bottle it was in - somewhere along the way. I'm on the third pump.

It's always performed well for me. Although the jet boil is enticing. The inner gear whore in me will likely buy one someday. I've seen the alcohol stoves in action, but it always seemed a heck of a lot of hassle for no that much savings. But to each his or her own.

I'm sure this will get some comments, but I like having a little bottle of white gas when I'm camping in case the fire needs a little encouragement to start. Flame on!

Last but not least, you just cant beat a Coleman two burner when you are car camping. Coffee and eggs - at the SAME TIME. Beautiful.

bill413

Oct 2, 2006, 7:52 PM
Post #23 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Last but not least, you just cant beat a Coleman two burner when you are car camping. Coffee and eggs - at the SAME TIME. Beautiful.
Wait - you can do that when camping???? :shock:

But don't they taste a little strange together in the same cup?

Partner gandolf

Oct 2, 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #24 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used a Svea 123 for years and loved it. Although you have to empty the fuel tank every time you move camp. But still it was very effecient. Prior to my last backpacking trip this summer, I found out I misplaced/lost a key part to the Svea. So I broke down and purchased a new MSR Whipserlite Int.. It was great. It doesn't simmer well, but for boiling water (which was all I needed) it was fast and effecient. So I wont bother replacing the lost Svea part. For car camping I use a Coleman 2 burner stove.

kman

Oct 2, 2006, 8:44 PM
Post #25 of 41 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just picked up an MSR Dragonfly since my last Primus stove crapped out on us in the back country about a month ago. The MSR works great so far.

For car camping though ya gotta have a double burner Coleman. It makes me laugh when the wanna be next to you pulls out their ultra light little single burner stove and then they look at your big stove like your some kind of freak :lol: Get a grip your CAR CAMPING for fuck sakes :lol:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook