First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner tgreene

Oct 3, 2006, 1:25 PM
Post #51 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is it with wackos in US [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hehehe... I totally forgot that was there.

Actually, Norman is my middle name, and I am a Christian, and I'm also a ranked CMP High Power Marksman. :shock:

fmd

Oct 3, 2006, 1:34 PM
Post #52 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Actually, Norman is my middle name, and I am a Christian, and I'm also a ranked CMP High Power Marksman. :shock:

Impressive......ever shoot at Camp Perry in North Ohio??...What do ya shoot the M-1 or AR15??..........

fmd

Oct 3, 2006, 1:35 PM
Post #53 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Impressive......Ever shoot at Camp Perry in Ohio?...What do ya shoot, the M-1 or AR 15??

rhaig

Oct 3, 2006, 1:38 PM
Post #54 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Four girls shot dead at US school.

Bringing to three the number of shootings at US schools this week.

Is there anyone who would seriously like to come forward and say that the US does not have a problem with guns?

Is there anyone who would seriously like to come forward and say that their respective country does not have a problem with crime?

Partner tgreene

Oct 3, 2006, 1:53 PM
Post #55 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never been to Perry, and I'm strictly into mouse guns.

I build all of my own match shooters, and once was able to get one up to #17 (green AR pictured below)... She stayed exactly where I put her!

http://www.great-river.com/pix/ar-ak.jpg

Partner tradman

Oct 3, 2006, 1:54 PM
Post #56 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there anyone who would seriously like to come forward and say that their respective country does not have a problem with crime?

I didn't say crime, I said guns.

My country does not have 3 school shootings a week. In fact we've had about 2 in the last 10 years. Over here, that's considered unacceptable, and something that should be tackled.

Partner tgreene

Oct 3, 2006, 1:56 PM
Post #57 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's the population of Scotland, and have they considered banning ashtrays yet..? :lol:

Partner tgreene

Oct 3, 2006, 2:02 PM
Post #58 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This was my favorite "fun gun"... 8^)

http://www.great-river.com/pix/mp5-a3.gif

fmd

Oct 3, 2006, 2:15 PM
Post #59 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

My country does not have 3 school shootings a week. In fact we've had about 2 in the last 10 years. Over here, that's considered unacceptable, and something that should be tackled.

The point is that we (the US) dont have a problem with guns. The problem is with the "wackos" that are using the guns as thier weapon of choice.

So, a school shooting in Scotland is unacceptable??....WOW....thanks for the education on that one. I guess that Americans are just a tad bit eaiser going than you Scots for we dont really mind our children being raped and shot. Maybe we'll "tackle" this problem when "how I met your mother" is over............... :evil:

Partner tradman

Oct 3, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #60 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Partner tradman

Oct 3, 2006, 2:20 PM
Post #61 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What's the population of Scotland, and have they considered banning ashtrays yet..? :lol:

:lol:

No, but they have banned smoking in bars! Guess I'll have think of something else next time (like making sure there isn't a next time i guess...)

:wink:

Partner tradman

Oct 3, 2006, 2:22 PM
Post #62 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The point is that we (the US) dont have a problem with guns. The problem is with the "wackos" that are using the guns as thier weapon of choice.

As I'm sure has already been pointed out, every society has wackos. YOu can't get rid of them, so wouldn't it make sense to limit their access to guns?

fmd

Oct 3, 2006, 2:37 PM
Post #63 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

favorite weapon for the US navel SEAL's................I prefer the M-4 though.

rhaig

Oct 3, 2006, 2:43 PM
Post #64 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

So you're not worried about crime in the US that isn't comitted with guns, you're only worried about how many people get shot here? And apparently, since you're interested in banning guns, you're only worried about people who are law abiding citizens who own guns? Right? Just want to make sure I get you.

In reply to:

what you don't see in your news is that it's all everyone in local government is thinking about. How do we fix the school violence problems. This is what I'm talking about with selective reporting.

So if we ban guns... if we make them illegal. Will our crime go down? Did it go down in Australia when they enacted strong gun control measures?

This past week, I had to opportunity to visit Old North Bridge in Concord, MA. What struck me as odd was that the state in which the American Revoloution started is so full of people that are anti-gun. Of course they're also the people who are apparently ok with unions getting cops details watching construction workers dig holes.

rhaig

Oct 3, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #65 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

:lol:

No, but they have banned smoking in bars! Guess I'll have think of something else next time (like making sure there isn't a next time i guess...)

:wink:

when they banned smoking in bars here they did it under the cover of employee health. The local barstaff and wait staff put out ads in the papers "what? I work in a bar and there's smoke? Oh no!" with a picture of one of the better looking waitresses holding her hands on the side of her face like she was shocked.

didn't make a difference. They pushed it through anyway. Stupid.

Partner tradman

Oct 3, 2006, 2:57 PM
Post #66 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So you're not worried about crime in the US that isn't comitted with guns, you're only worried about how many people get shot here?

No. All crime concerns me wherever it happens. But I'm not talking about all crime right now, I'm only talking about gun crime.

In reply to:
So if we ban guns... if we make them illegal. Will our crime go down?

I'd be willing to bet that there'd be fewer school shootings, yeah. And I'd bet that the number of gun deaths overall would go down too.

rhaig

Oct 3, 2006, 2:57 PM
Post #67 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

As I'm sure has already been pointed out, every society has wackos. YOu can't get rid of them, so wouldn't it make sense to limit their access to guns?

Ah yes... we agree here. The wackos are not allowed to buy guns under US federal law.

Partner tradman

Oct 3, 2006, 3:06 PM
Post #68 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ah yes... we agree here. The wackos are not allowed to buy guns under US federal law.

And yet they still have access to guns because there are so many in the country.

There are plenty of wackos here (in fact we have a shameful violent crime problem that makes america look like the Land of Oz), but they don't have guns because almost all guns are illegal.

Do you agree that if there were fewer guns in the country, guns would be harder to obtain?

fmd

Oct 3, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #69 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

News flash.....BBC news reports that "Scotland has some of the highest rates of imprisonment of young people in Europe yet have not solved the problem with youth crimes."

Partner tgreene

Oct 3, 2006, 3:14 PM
Post #70 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.cnn.com/...chool.shooting.folo/

This is the town that my wife and I currently live in... JONESBORO

What changed in this community after the shootings here, is that the entire community rallied together, and they've stayed that way.

They have built up a parks and recreation department that likely surpasses that of most 250,000+ cities, yet our population is 55k. A quick drive around town (and we're only 4 miles from one end of town to the other) will immediately show anyone that this city cares more about children than most anything else. You'll also see 1 or 2 police cars parked at each school at random times throughout the day.

There are churches.. HUGE CHURCHES on just about every corner, as this is a Southern Baptist community. In addition to all of the civic funded activities and park systems, the churches have done a ton as well, and most have their own rec centers and play grounds that surpass that of many cities.

The local intramural fields looks like something that you would find at a Big-10 or Big-8 University, but it's on the opposite side of town from ASU, which has it's own system of parks and ball fields.

Firearms have not been banned, and in fact, Arkansas is a shall issue CHL state, and Jonesboro has not enacted any seperate legislation other than promoting additional firearms education.

When we first arrived here as "evacuees" and were living in a hotel, we actually caught people trying to break into our cars. because of this, a couple of us armed ourselves w/ our carry guns, and patrolled the hotel strip on our own. The night manager of the neighboring hotel freaked out when he found out, and called the cops... About an hour or so later, the SWAT team showed up and damn near kicked our door down, saying that I was seen "brandishing" a weapon. I explained exactly what had transpired, and they were pretty cool with the whole thing, except they were pissed that we were attempting to do their job. When I explained that we had made numerous reports of attempted break-ins, and there was no resaponse, so we chose to take matters into our own hands, they responded by stating that they would definately ramp up in the area... For the next week, at no time did we not see a patrol car.

Firearms and hunting are a way of life around here, so while alcohol is actually illegal, guns are not! 8^)

Partner tradman

Oct 3, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #71 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
News flash.....BBC news reports that "Scotland has some of the highest rates of imprisonment of young people in Europe yet have not solved the problem with youth crimes."

That's right; as I said, Scotland has a very serious violent crime problem, far more widespread and severe than in America.

But do you know how many murders were comitted with guns last year?

Eight.

rhaig

Oct 3, 2006, 7:31 PM
Post #72 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

And yet they still have access to guns because there are so many in the country.

There are plenty of wackos here (in fact we have a shameful violent crime problem that makes america look like the Land of Oz), but they don't have guns because almost all guns are illegal.

Do you agree that if there were fewer guns in the country, guns would be harder to obtain?

ah... the magic wand question

yes.

if I could wave a magic wand and make all the guns disappear, gun deaths would go down. (it's mathematics at that point) Or in your more reasonable example, if there were fewer guns (say 50%) then guns would be harder to obtain in some places. Though the available guns from those places would migrate to other places and the difficulty of getting weapons for criminals or law abiding citizens wouldn't change there, it would just be more expensive.

However, there is no magic wand to wave to make a significant portion of the weapons in the US go away (and make gun production go down in a similar proportion). Rounding the guns up by going door-to-door searching houses isn't the answer. Gun registration is where the anti-gunners want to take us so that after a few years of gun registration, they can slide further down the slippery slope and restrict the use or possession of firearms, and finally confiscate them all together.

(edited to add that this is where you call me paranoid)

I can't argue that if guns didn't exist, there would be no gun deaths. Or if there were fewer guns, they would be harder to get. This argument applies to anything. I do, however, disagree that outlawing guns in the US would solve our crime problems. It may reduce (reported) accidental shootings if only criminals had guns. But since only criminals have guns, I'd expect violent crime to go up (or accelerate if it's already rising) like it did in Australia.

Which is better? People accidentally shooting themselves or people being shot by criminals (or assulted because the criminal knows they won't have a gun to defend themselves).

gvp

Oct 4, 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #73 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Which is better? People accidentally shooting themselves or people being shot by criminals (or assaulted because the criminal knows they won't have a gun to defend themselves).

I don't get it. Why is it you think crime will go up if there ordinary people don't have guns? Because they won't be able to "defend" themselves? You think that if a guy wants to rob someone, he won't if he thinks the ones he is going to rob have a gun? Will he instead just go get a job to pay for the food? If sorry, to me it seems VERY unlikely.
You say the criminals will always have guns, but why do they have guns? Might it be because they know victims also have guns, and therefore it would be a lot more risky to rob someone with eg. a knife than with a gun?

Now, you talk about accidental shootings, but how about those who commit murder in the heat of the moment? If a guy stumbles upon his wife cheating, and there is no gun around, and the guy is a violent freaky type, a severe beating might be a little better than if he had a gun the the next drawer and decides its better to just shoot everyone.

Why is it no pro-gunners ever answer this?
Oh...and sorry for bad grammar and spelling. English is my second language.

perp

Oct 4, 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #74 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

:)

fmd

Oct 4, 2006, 1:08 PM
Post #75 of 93 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

:)

Yep....I spelled it correctly....as in a umbilicus has been cut from mom, but not the apron strings.......It was a joke....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook