Partner tradman

Oct 11, 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #26 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Re: Another existential moment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's a far cry from claiming that he came up with the idea.

I didn't say that he did.

Neither did Largo, actually.

In fact the only person I can see discussing that idea is you.

blondgecko

Oct 11, 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #27 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, wait a second...

In reply to:
Fortunately, thanks to a whole host of things which scientists have no way to understand or describe and which terrify them to the point of hatred and invective, ...

In reply to:
... I was actually talking about love, emotion and simple compassion.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Once again, your prejudice is showing through loud and clear.

Partner tradman

Oct 11, 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #28 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Once again, your prejudice is showing through loud and clear.

Really?

And who's putting words in my mouth? And Largo's?

There's no prejudice in stating the facts, but there is in dishonestly rewriting another's arguments for them.

You see only what you want to see, even when it's not there.

blondgecko

Oct 11, 2006, 1:30 PM
Post #29 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, you can't wiggle out of it that easily. You said this:

In reply to:
Fortunately, thanks to a whole host of things which scientists have no way to understand or describe and which terrify them to the point of hatred and invective, ...

and then, to clarify your point, this:

In reply to:
... I was actually talking about love, emotion and simple compassion.

Like I said, loud and clear. You're not even content to label scientists as incapable[i/i] of "love, emotion and simple compassion" - no, according to you we react to these emotions with "hatred and invective".

Nice. Really, really nice.

Partner tradman

Oct 11, 2006, 1:48 PM
Post #30 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're not even content to label scientists as incapable[i/i] of "love, emotion and simple compassion" - no, according to you we react to these emotions with "hatred and invective".

I didn't say scientists were incapable of those emotions.

I said they had no way to understand or describe them.

Which is completely true.

These emotions just lie outside science's ability to describe or analyse. I'm sure scientists experience the same emotions as other people. But try mentioning them in a scientific paper and see how far that gets you! Many anthropologists and bilogists have found that one out the hard way.

No hatred and invective, eh? Ironic, considering how angry you've got yourself over things I didn't even say.

yanqui

Oct 11, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #31 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
An article on string theory in a recent New Yorker casts new light on what "science has taught us."

JL

If you mean this:

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/atlarge/

it is an interesting read, and a good example (I think) of how science works. The main thing that pisses me off is how the article treats the example of string theory as a sort of deviance from the norm, rather than a paradigm example of what goes on in science. I suppose this is because the two books reviewed have an ax to grind against string theory. Therefore they try to isolate string theory from "good physics". Thus the author prints bullshit like "correct theories nearly always triumph quickly". Ha, dream on.

At any rate, current ideas about what a scientific theory should or shouldn't be, about what can or can't count as a scientific explanation, as well as basic human desires for personal understanding, simplicity, elegance, beauty, certainty, etc. and perhaps even more important: what gets deemed as "interesting", the current fashion so to speak, all play a big role in the development of science. The sociological aspects considered, descibed as "surprising" by the author, are so clear to me as an insider, that I don't understand what they haven't been talked about more by scientists. I guess scientists are as good at rationalizing their behavior as the next guy. The false note in the article plays when these sociological features are treated like an abnormality, that explains how a "bad" theory like string theory can survive. When in fact, I would say, sociology plays a central role in the evolution of science, whether or not the theories evolving are "good" or "bad".

Anyways, if you read the article as an example of what really goes on in science, and not as an explanation for why a "flakey" theory like string theory can survive, I think it hits pretty close to the mark.

Partner tradman

Oct 11, 2006, 2:35 PM
Post #32 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The sociological aspects considered, descibed as "surprising" by the author, are so clear to me as an insider, that I don't understand what they haven't been talked about more by scientists.

I think that while they're probably not surprising to many scientists, the public view of science is that it has a pretty united front on most issues.

I think it's worth remembering that the public misses all the wrangling, peer review and arguments that go on before research is accepted, just because they wouldn't understand much of it

So the behaviour is normal (and healthy), but not many know about it and it seems surprising.

vivalargo

Oct 11, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #33 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought an interesting idea presented in the New Yorker article was that Sociologists consider science to be no more accurate or "true" than any other viable field of study carried out by us humanos. I'll have to look into that--I never read much if any sociology.

Per the discusions of Christianity, I think it's a slightly sketchy note to think of any religion as "creating" a particular ethos or philosophy. Most religions--evn those that have become terribly distorted over time--were founded by folks or a single sage who had direct experience of the divine--and that sage did not invent or create the divine, but rather did his best to explain his experiences from his particular perspective. And that's mainly what we get from religions: a glance at the divine, colord by the personality, time, and social constructs of the person who had the original experiences. So-called sacred texts (like the Bible) allow people get attuned to the spirit of the thing with less of the accretions society has stacked on over time--but even here the map (the texts) is not the territory (ther divine experiences).

That much said, a honest and thorough examination of the Bible will divulge a whole lot of wisdom and heart to someone open to it. If your mind is such that it cannot process anything but facts and figures you might find the text devoid of "content," but that doesn't necessarly mean it actually is. This is simply another perspective, likely saying moe about the person who said it than anything else.

JL

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Oct 11, 2006, 8:11 PM
Post #34 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I thought an interesting idea presented in the New Yorker article was that Sociologists consider science to be no more accurate or "true" than any other viable field of study carried out by us humanos. I'll have to look into that--I never read much if any sociology.

That's because sociology is a pseudo-science.

In reply to:
Per the discusions of Christianity, I think it's a slightly sketchy note to think of any religion as "creating" a particular ethos or philosophy. Most religions--evn those that have become terribly distorted over time--were founded by folks or a single sage who had direct experience of the divine--and that sage did not invent or create the divine, but rather did his best to explain his experiences from his particular perspective. And that's mainly what we get from religions: a glance at the divine, colord by the personality, time, and social constructs of the person who had the original experiences. So-called sacred texts (like the Bible) allow people get attuned to the spirit of the thing with less of the accretions society has stacked on over time--but even here the map (the texts) is not the territory (ther divine experiences).

That much said, a honest and thorough examination of the Bible will divulge a whole lot of wisdom and heart to someone open to it. If your mind is such that it cannot process anything but facts and figures you might find the text devoid of "content," but that doesn't necessarly mean it actually is. This is simply another perspective, likely saying moe about the person who said it than anything else.

JL

Victor Paul Furnish brought up an excellent and reasonable proposal: treat the Bible with the idea of a sliding scale involving the specificity of its passages in their historial contexts. The parts that are highly referential to when they were written should be taken with a less serious attitude than the seemingly "timeless" values (I dispute the notion of timelessness, but it'll suffice for now). In other words, learn to love thy neighbor and respect your elders before attempting to own slaves or offering up your only son.

vivalargo

Oct 11, 2006, 8:46 PM
Post #35 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blondy decreed:

"vivalargo wrote: I thought an interesting idea presented in the New Yorker article was that Sociologists consider science to be no more accurate or "true" than any other viable field of study carried out by us humanos. I'll have to look into that--I never read much if any sociology.

That's because sociology is a pseudo-science."

That's pretty funny, actually. But judging from the one and only class I ever took in sociology, it was no so much a psydo-science as (seemingly) utter bullshit. But that's not fair. Smarts are spread over many fields, and each field has it's stars. Also, I understand that statistics play a huge role in sociology these days, and even while a crafty dude can cook the data this way and that, the field must have some good stuff in there somewhere.

But more interesting still is Blondy's use of the word "psudo-science." The aim was to diss sociology as so much jive by virtue of being faux science, the implication being that science itself is the benchmark of The Truth. Funny thing is that this assumption is the very thing the sociologists are saying is a sham, that science is just another mode of inquiry with no more claim to the plain truth than any other serious study. In this sense a sociologist wanting to diss science might call science psudo-sociology.

I suspect--but don't know--that the sociologists point is that most every serious mode of inquiry has it's own definitions and criteria for what constitutes truth, and that one mode's criteria is almost certainly no more or no less valid and rigorous than another. The tendency to favor one mode over another is likely more a statement about one person's personality and basic nature than about what is actually "true."

JL

petsfed

Oct 11, 2006, 9:25 PM
Post #36 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA00452.jpg

Its funny, that particular image, coupled with the first public release of the Hubble Deep Field led me to perhaps my only experience of the numinous, what some might call a religious experience. After seeing those, I felt so blessed (I use the term in the most secular way imaginable) to even exist, let alone exist in such a way that I can know just how small I am. Can you imagine the odds that we might survive the cosmic maelstrom to reach where we are today? Whether by the hand of God or the hand of probability, we have been given something amazing, sacred and unfathomably rare. It seems incredibly foolish, to me, to squander that gift killing each other, or the only planet we've got because we're convinced that one species (indeed, one subset of that species) on that microscopic, insignifcant dot has meaning in the universe to the point of destroying the only material gift ever given us.

Its been said that science is a field that, by its nature, is devoid of morals and ethics, and so we look to non-science to provide it. And yet religion provides an emotionally satisfying, but fundamentally flawed set of ethics for our life. Meanwhile sociology provides a set of coldly effective but emotionally repugnant ethics. Neither of these is compatible with the evolution of our species as a space-faring race. I believe, like Sagan did, that our future lies in the stars. How can we ever hope to find our place in the universe, if we never leave the cradle?

blondgecko

Oct 11, 2006, 9:34 PM
Post #37 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^ Now THAT's much more the sort of response I was hoping for. Well said!

petsfed

Oct 11, 2006, 9:35 PM
Post #38 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those interest, this is the hubble deep field:
http://www.astro.uio.no/...F_0304/HUDF_med1.jpg

Larger versions are as follows:
494 KB Jpeg
61 MB Jpeg

This image has about the same angular diameter as a dime placed 75 feet away, from a random spot in the sky. Thanks to the cosmological principle, we can safely assume that the sky looks about the same in any direction. Now consider that single image (with approximately 1500 galaxies visible) spread across the sky. That's ~10^8, one hundred MILLION, galaxies visible with the hubble space telescope. Probably countless more.

blondgecko

Oct 11, 2006, 9:39 PM
Post #39 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This image has about the same angular diameter as a dime placed 75 feet away.

... and contains around 10,000 galaxies.

... 61 MB jpeg???? Holy shee-it!

blondgecko

Oct 11, 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #40 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just downloaded the full-res version. Simply insane.

vivalargo

Oct 11, 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #41 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very nice, Petsfed. The space in the mind is as vast as those Hubble shots because, IME, it's the same thing. And it IS numinous. What I've tried getting at in all my windy rants is that looking at that strand of stars and the vastness is the selfsame thing as peering into our minds. You can now appreciate the old transcendentalist's words that "there's a million realms out there." Humbling indeed. But also strangely hopeful.

JL

Oct 12, 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #42 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Blondy decreed:

"vivalargo wrote: I thought an interesting idea presented in the New Yorker article was that Sociologists consider science to be no more accurate or "true" than any other viable field of study carried out by us humanos. I'll have to look into that--I never read much if any sociology.

That's because sociology is a pseudo-science."

That's pretty funny, actually. But judging from the one and only class I ever took in sociology, it was no so much a psydo-science as (seemingly) utter s---. But that's not fair. Smarts are spread over many fields, and each field has it's stars. Also, I understand that statistics play a huge role in sociology these days, and even while a crafty dude can cook the data this way and that, the field must have some good stuff in there somewhere.

Awesome - my offhand comments have been elevated to 'decree' status... victory is mine!

In reply to:
But more interesting still is Blondy's use of the word "psudo-science."

I didn't say "psudo-science." I can spell better than that.

In reply to:
The aim was to diss sociology as so much jive by virtue of being faux science, the implication being that science itself is the benchmark of The Truth.

Was it, now?

In reply to:
Funny thing is that this assumption is the very thing the sociologists are saying is a sham, that science is just another mode of inquiry with no more claim to the plain truth than any other serious study. In this sense a sociologist wanting to diss science might call science psudo-sociology.

There's still an 'e' in pseudo...

In reply to:
I suspect--but don't know--that the sociologists point is that most every serious mode of inquiry has it's own definitions and criteria for what constitutes truth, and that one mode's criteria is almost certainly no more or no less valid and rigorous than another. The tendency to favor one mode over another is likely more a statement about one person's personality and basic nature than about what is actually "true."

Truth is what you subscribe to. What you're talking about calls to mind a search for something "greater"... an adventure in pursuit of "the" truth... a quest of some sort... kind of like...

http://www.digitalworldtokyo.com/...5_South_Park_WoW.jpg

Yeah... that's the ticket.

vivalargo

Oct 12, 2006, 2:36 AM
Post #43 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blondy wrote: "Truth is what you subscribe to. What you're talking about calls to mind a search for something "greater"..."

What you subscribe to is, in fact, what you subscribe to. It might be true, sweet pea, and it might not. Moreover, there ain't nothing greater than the truth. And there's a strata of truth (also know as objective reality in the esoteric tradition) that remains unshakably true regardles of what we humans think about that truth, or feel about it, or sense or imagine or say or communicate with each other or to the dog on the sofa or the partridge in the pear tree. In other words, truth is far more than a rhetorical or mental construct or a "performance" by-product. We run the risk of playing God when we harbor beliefs that in some way we create what is true. Look long and hard into that remarkable photo of that strip of stars and sense what's true other there. What do you find in that place beyond your thoughts?

JL

Oct 12, 2006, 3:09 AM
Post #44 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Blondy wrote: "Truth is what you subscribe to. What you're talking about calls to mind a search for something "greater"..."

What you subscribe to is, in fact, what you subscribe to. It might be true, sweet pea, and it might not. Moreover, there ain't nothing greater than the truth. And there's a strata of truth (also know as objective reality in the esoteric tradition) that remains unshakably true regardles of what we humans think about that truth, or feel about it, or sense or imagine or say or communicate with each other or to the dog on the sofa or the partridge in the pear tree. In other words, truth is far more than a rhetorical or mental construct or a "performance" by-product. We run the risk of playing God when we harbor beliefs that in some way we create what is true.

You really do have a flair for condescension.

How can you contrive this tiered, if you will, model of truth and expect it to be anything more than a philosophical exercise? What 'strata of truth' remains 'unshakably true' for all eternity?

We waste far too much time fixating on this alleged eternal truth and not enough questioning what it means to presume there is such a thing.

In reply to:
Look long and hard into that remarkable photo of that strip of stars and sense what's true other there. What do you find in that place beyond your thoughts?

When I look at that photo, I see a radiologist's view of what a philosopher sees when his head is stuck up his ass.

thelogictheorist

Oct 12, 2006, 3:10 AM
Post #45 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Its funny, that particular image, coupled with the first public release of the Hubble Deep Field led me to perhaps my only experience of the numinous, what some might call a religious experience. After seeing those, I felt so blessed (I use the term in the most secular way imaginable) to even exist, let alone exist in such a way that I can know just how small I am. Can you imagine the odds that we might survive the cosmic maelstrom to reach where we are today? Whether by the hand of God or the hand of probability, we have been given something amazing, sacred and unfathomably rare. It seems incredibly foolish, to me, to squander that gift killing each other, or the only planet we've got because we're convinced that one species (indeed, one subset of that species) on that microscopic, insignifcant dot has meaning in the universe to the point of destroying the only material gift ever given us.

I think this is the essence of what Sagan was driving at in the first quote posted in this thread. Sagan, btw, besides being one of the greatest scientific minds of our time, also had very strong religious beliefs. I don't feel that science and religion (or spirituality, experience of G-d, or whatever way you want to use semantics to qualify it) are mutually exclusive. They are both internally consistent ways of explaining different facets of our existence. Neither has the tools or processes for checking the other, and if you think either one is The Ultimate Truth (TM) I think you're fooling yourself.

I think the point of these "moments of clarity" (a favorite term among us drunks and/or alcoholics) is to really put into focus how small and fleeting our own experiences are, and as such we should make the most of them.

petsfed

Oct 12, 2006, 5:54 AM
Post #46 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...Sagan, btw, besides being one of the greatest scientific minds of our time, also had very strong religious beliefs...

Which is a funny way to put the truth. He was an avowed atheist and "materialist". He felt that religion as we understand it was doing the world a disservice by propagating ignorance. He believed that we as a species had evolved past the neccesity of human constructs to describe (or worship) a fundamental truth.

blondgecko

Oct 12, 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #47 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They are both internally consistent ways of explaining different facets of our existence.

Well, you're half right there.

thelogictheorist

Oct 12, 2006, 2:59 PM
Post #48 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is my favorite discussion to have.. the one where the "hard fact" scientist can't accept that religion has consistency and value, but will take great leaps of faith to accept scientific theories that may eventually be disproven.

I'm chuckling already.

bobd1953

Oct 12, 2006, 3:24 PM
Post #49 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is my favorite discussion to have.. the one where the "hard fact" scientist can't accept that religion has consistency and value, but will take great leaps of faith to accept scientific theories that may eventually be disproven.

I'm chuckling already.

Science...time after time has answers more questions (about the natural world, medicine, space...and so on) than religion.

thelogictheorist

Oct 12, 2006, 3:30 PM
Post #50 of 84 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really depends on which questions you're talking about, now doesn't it?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook