RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

holdeddie

Oct 24, 2006, 9:34 PM
Post #1 of 5 (942 views)
Shortcut

Anyone done this???????????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, in my quest for a home wall, I stumbled on this http://www.climerware.com/wallspec.htm

Has anyone made wall like that? I am quite curious about the adjusting system on that wall. The one on there looks OK, a little small, so i was thinking I would add another sheet of plywood to make an 8x8 wall. What do you think??

If you have tried it....
Did it work?
Still holding up?

Thank You!!!
HoldEddie

sidepull

Oct 24, 2006, 9:54 PM
Post #2 of 5 (942 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone done this??????????? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I made a 4'x8' woodie using a similar scheme last spring. I have used it 3-4 times per week since and I really enjoy it. I'll try to post a pic (if I remember) later tonight.

Just a few notes though:

1) I'm not much of a carpenter, so, if you have friends that work with wood, I'd get them to help you with the joints so that it's stable. Mine wobbles a little, but not enough to distract me now (although at first it did).

2) Create the possibility for a very dense clustering of holds. I think I drilled holes every 4 inches and each line of holes is offset by 2 inches.

3) At first I had to buy a few jugs because I wasn't used to climbing at a 60-degree angle all the time. Now however, I have a lot of really small holds. My board is set up to be symmetrical, so I have duplicate holds and I chose holds that don't have a great deal of bias for either hand. This has allowed me to create mirrored problems, and I feel like I'm a more balanced climber. Similarly, it allows me to do system-like training.

4) make sure you adequately treat the wood before building. I treated mine with 3-4 coats of water sealer (the wood was also pre-treated) and I cover my woodie with a tarp.

So far, so good.

Partner gandolf

Oct 24, 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #3 of 5 (942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I made one a while back. I used 3 pieces of 4'x8' pieces of plywood so it was 12 feet tall and 8 feet wide. I used 2x6's for the frame.

anykineclimb

Oct 24, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #4 of 5 (942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the gym I used to work at had a wall that was 8x16 with this design. it wasn't adjusted very often but you had the option. (with a couple guys help!) and 2x12 was used as the header to add stiffness. you could feel the center portion wobble when yarding on a jug.

rocksonthebrain

Oct 24, 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #5 of 5 (942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made a similar one for my backyard. I had a 4x12 panel of plywood on a 2x4 frame with two supporting triangles of 2x8. The three joints pivoted on 1/2' bolts and the lower one that was away from the panel was adjustable. I had to mount the panel a little high on the bottom so that it wouldn't push on the ground at the lowest angle.

Mine worked well. It took me about 10-15 minutes to adjust the angle, so that didn't happen much and leaving it outside led to it's early death by rot.

A friend had a really simple on in his garage. It was simply a plywood and 2x4 panel resting on the floor and held to he wall at shoulder height with a bit of rope and some eyebolts. To adjust the angle we simply had to shorten or lengthen the rope.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook