RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gavran

Oct 26, 2006, 9:15 PM
Post #1 of 4 (197 views)
Shortcut

Hey Climbers of Seattle
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've just spent the majority of the past two years traveling abroad. I just arrived home from South America and have recently moved to Seattle.

I used to climb weekly, mainly sport climbing at the crag and at the gym, and got pretty good. Now I don't know if I could get up a 5.9. Anyways, I am now 25, in decent shape, and looking to get back into the sport.

What is the scene in Seattle. I know it rains a lot so gym climbing must be the only option for the rainy season. What gym has awesome climbs and hot climbing women? Are there any clubs/organizations that I should be aware of?

All replies will be greatly appreciated.

-Gav

mtnfr34k

Oct 27, 2006, 6:37 AM
Post #2 of 4 (197 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hey Climbers of Seattle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Gav,
Welcome to Seattle and the winter - your timing couldn't be better! The best age depends more on your style. If you boulder and are more college age, Stone Gardens is the scene. If your older, more into climbing, than Vertical World is your ticket.
Pro Mountain Sports in the U-District is the spot for alpine advice; Feathered Friends in downtown for backcountry skiing, ice climbing, and softgoods; and you got to check out Second Ascent in Ballard for screaming deals.
Patagonia has a store down on 1st in downtown that's nice to windowshop, and the REI flagship is just across the street from Feathered Friends if you absolutely can stand to shop any more.
Other good shops to know about that aren't in Seattle: Marmot Mountain Works in Bellevue and Pro Ski in North Bend.
The nearest crag is Exit 32 and 38 on I-90, at exits, well, 32 and 38. The nearest ski hill is Snoqualmie Pass, but I'd recommend the extra time and money to go to Steven's Pass instead (this seems like a 50/50 decision). Best trad climbing is at Index, and the best chance for dry weather is at Leavenworth/Iceicle Canyon.
The Washington Rock book printed by Falcon press is the best rock climbing-specific select guidebook that will give you an idea of what the possiblities are.

green_eyes

Oct 27, 2006, 7:34 AM
Post #3 of 4 (197 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hey Climbers of Seattle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey hi great to hear that you were in southamerica, I'm from Chile, but been here for a little bit more than a year.... anyways i hang out with a very nice climbers group/friends. Almost every weekend ,IF THE WEATHER PERMIT, we are out in the rock, so anyways if you wanna join us.... welcome!!!!!!! also we don't have a membership in stone gardens, so when we go there we spend the whole day.........great if you speak Spanish, even better if you drink MATE..... cheers

Partner phaedrus

Oct 27, 2006, 1:26 PM
Post #4 of 4 (197 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook