Premier Sponsor:

madriver

Oct 31, 2006, 5:00 PM
Post #1 of 4 (154 views)
Shortcut

It's whats for dinner...
Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't only a matter of time when we will be able to replace that what we don't like or need for that perfect body. I've got my eye on a new spleen...but then...thats just me.

In reply to:
British scientists grow human liver in a laboratory
By FIONA MacRAE, Science Reporter

British scientists have grown the world's first artificial liver from stem cells in a breakthrough that will one day provide entire organs for transplant.

The technique that created the 'mini-liver', currently the size of a one pence piece, will be developed to create a full-size functioning liver.

Described as a 'Eureka moment' by the Newcastle University researchers, the tissue was created from blood taken from babies' umbilical cords just a few minutes after birth.

As it stands, the mini organ can be used to test new drugs, preventing disasters such as the recent 'Elephant Man' drug trial. Using lab-grown liver tissue would also reduce the number of animal experiments.

Within five years, pieces of artificial tissue could be used to repair livers damaged by injury, disease, alcohol abuse and paracetamol overdose.

And then, in just 15 years' time, entire liver transplants could take place using organs grown in a lab.

The development provides fresh hope for the hundreds of Britons in dire need of a new liver each year.

There are currently 336 patients waiting for a liver transplant - the type of operation performed on George Best. However, in 2004, 72 people died waiting for a suitable donor.

The liver tissue is created from stem cells - blank cells capable of developing into different types of tissue - found in blood from the umbilical cord.

Working in collaboration with experts from the US, the Newcastle scientists succeeded in separating out the stem cells from blood removed from the umbilical cord minutes after birth.

They are then placed in a 'bioreactor' - a piece of electrical equipment developed by NASA to mimic the effects of weightlessness. Inside this, the freedom from the force of gravity allows them to multiply more quickly than usual.

Then, various hormones and chemicals are added to coax the stem cells into turning into liver tissue.

So far, tiny pieces of tissue, less than an inch in diameter have been created.
some how I don't think God is going to take this very well

forever yours

M. Shelly

wjca

Oct 31, 2006, 5:06 PM
Post #2 of 4 (154 views)
Shortcut

Re: It's whats for dinner... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The technique that created the 'mini-liver', currently the size of a one pence piece, will be developed to create a full-size functioning liver.

But how will these new, lab-grown livers taste with fava beans and chianti?

Partner tradman

Oct 31, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #3 of 4 (154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
some how I don't think God is going to take this very well

I don't think God'll be all that bothered.

I imagine there are a few religious types who'll get busy writing placards as soon as they see it, though.

:roll:

qdiggety

Oct 31, 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #4 of 4 (154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh oh guys....... Now chicks will have a viable alternative for their vibrators. They can have their own "real" wang and keep it in a petri dish under the chocolate milk.....................

It also gives a new meaning to lesbian strap on sex........

Of course we would get real pocket pussies and instead of a quart of half and half there could be a boobie on the top shelf of the fridge for the morning coffee.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook