Partner tradman

Nov 2, 2006, 9:54 AM
Post #51 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Re: The God Delusion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Interestingly, I'm told that studies of terminal patients in hospitals have consistently found that the atheists are generally much more at peace than their religious brethren. Interesting, huh?

That would make sense, yeah.

Remember that atheists believe that after death, nothing happens and we are not held responsible or accountable for our actions.

Religious people generally believe that after death we have to answer for what we do in our lives.

So of course atheists are more at peace with the idea of death; it must be a great comfort and make it much easier to face the unknown if you convince yourself that it just doesn't exist.

degaine

Nov 2, 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #52 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Remember that atheists believe that after death, nothing happens and we are not held responsible or accountable for our actions.

Religious people generally believe that after death we have to answer for what we do in our lives.

So of course atheists are more at peace with the idea of death; it must be a great comfort and make it much easier to face the unknown if you convince yourself that it just doesn't exist.

But either way it’s just beliefs, right?

Religious people don’t KNOW that we’re held responsible, just as atheists don’t know for a fact what happens after we die.

I’ll remain open to the idea that something happens after death, but whether it’s 72 virgins that will be waiting for me or St. Peter or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, no one knows.

Partner tradman

Nov 2, 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #53 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Religious people don’t KNOW that we’re held responsible, just as atheists don’t know for a fact what happens after we die.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

We pick our beliefs and we take what comes with them. I envy atheists; it must be very nice to face death with the support of believing that you won't have to take responsibility for what you've done.

blondgecko

Nov 2, 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #54 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

We pick our beliefs and we take what comes with them. I envy atheists; it must be very nice to face death with the support of believing that you won't have to take responsibility for what you've done.

:roll:

Sometimes I'm almost convinced you believe most of the crap you write, then you come out with something like this. You know better - I've seen it pointed out to you numerous times.

Partner tradman

Nov 2, 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #55 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aw, blond's all butt-hurt because it's his beliefs under the microscope for once. How cute.

In reply to:
You know better - I've seen it pointed out to you numerous times.

What, so you do believe that you'll be held repsonsible for your life's actions after death?

What kind of "atheism" is this exactly?

:lol:

blondgecko

Nov 2, 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #56 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Aw, blond's all butt-hurt because it's his beliefs under the microscope for once. How cute.

In reply to:
You know better - I've seen it pointed out to you numerous times.

What, so you do believe that you'll be held repsonsible for your life's actions after death?

What kind of "atheism" is this exactly?

:wtf:

Do you really think this is making you look smart???

The opposite to believing that there is life after death is not the belief that there is no life after death, it's simply a lack of belief.

You will find very few atheists who state their position as a positive belief - the vast majority simply refuse to believe either way without proof. We - don't - know. I have absolutely no problem with that - I love surprises!

OTOH, there is a very large (and IMHO particularly dangerous) subset of christianity that teaches that you will not be judged after death, but that the only thing you need to do to gain access to heaven is accept The Lord Jesus Christ into your heart. That scares me.

Partner tradman

Nov 2, 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #57 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You will find very few atheists who state their position as a positive belief - the vast majority simply refuse to believe either way without proof. We - don't - know. I have absolutely no problem with that - I love surprises!

No, strictly that's agnosticism (it literally means, "unknowable")

Atheism is the doctrine that there are no deities. What you're talking about is the agnostic version of "weak atheism". Clue: it's called weak for a reason.

In reply to:
OTOH, there is a very large (and IMHO particularly dangerous) subset of christianity that teaches that you will not be judged after death, but that the only thing you need to do to gain access to heaven is accept The Lord Jesus Christ into your heart. That scares me.

Really? Wow. You've got about 5 different things all confused together there.

You must be easily frightened if your own mistakes scare you.

degaine

Nov 2, 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #58 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Atheism is the doctrine that there are no deities. What you're talking about is the agnostic version of "weak atheism". Clue: it's called weak for a reason.

Honest question, is there really a doctrine?

I know people who don't adhere to an organized religion, don't believe in God or any deity for that matter and don't consider there to be a life after death, yet they don't adhere to some specific doctrine "see, it says here on line X that there is no God."

Sure, you've pointed to a couple of websites in the past of supposed atheist organizations, but no one I know who would eventually let themselves be classified as "atheist" follows any formal doctrine or considers themselves part of an organized group.

You keep pointing to atheism as organized and doctrinated like the religions you know: christianity, judaism, Islam. I have yet to observe this as the case anywhere I've lived. I'll admit, however, that my subset of experiences in this area might not be considered statistically viable.

Partner tradman

Nov 2, 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #59 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I think there is, yes.

Doctrine just means a code of beliefs", "a body of teachings" or "instructions", taught principles or positions, as the body of teachings in a branch of knowledge or belief system.

Atheists teach, compare and share their beliefs and justifications in the same was as religious people do - in fact you can see it happening right here most days.

The "group" we call atheists is organised for the most part only in so far as it shares similar or identical beliefs. It does have representatives, mostly self-nominated, but for the most part it's informal as far as I know.

degaine

Nov 2, 2006, 7:00 PM
Post #60 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I think there is, yes.

Doctrine just means a code of beliefs", "a body of teachings" or "instructions", taught principles or positions, as the body of teachings in a branch of knowledge or belief system.

Really? I don't know of any "body of teaching" of atheism or atheism "instructions" and while it MAY be a set of non-beliefs it's pushing the limit to call it a belief system.

Atheism seems rather non-religious and non-belief to me. The group of people I mentioned in my post don't believe.

In reply to:
Atheists teach, compare and share their beliefs and justifications in the same was as religious people do

Really? Teach? Any links, articles, any proof of this?

In reply to:
- in fact you can see it happening right here most days.

What I see here most days is individuals not wanting to have whatever form of religion forced down their throat. Unfortunately, somehow they feel the need to justify to you or PTC, for example, why they don't believe in Jesus or God or the tenets of whatever religion, when they really should not care what the two of you think.

In reply to:
The "group" we call atheists is organised for the most part only in so far as it shares similar or identical beliefs. It does have representatives, mostly self-nominated, but for the most part it's informal as far as I know.

It may be written about or classified by others, but it surely does not seem organized.

robbovius

Nov 2, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #61 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[

Oh nooo my friend...it can be TERRIFYING, crushingly saddening, knowing that "I", the sentient entity that is me, will end absolutely, gone like snuffing out a candle, and that death, in it's actuality is, for the individual experiencing it, like that period of undreaming sleep, that blank, oblivious, unrealized discontinuity of identity. nothingness. That stilleto-sharp realization wakes me in the night, in tears.

No more Me. to my mind, the average Believer, willfully choosing to believe some magic father figure (what's THAT about?) in an alternate reality - invented in ancient times by what amount to superstitious primitives - is going to transport them to a realm of eternal happiness or eternal pain is a cowardly denial of the actuality of individual death, because they really don't wanna accept that they are really going to die.

"oh after I die, I'm gonna live some more!"

Sure, buddy. Good luck with that.

trust me, if I shuffle off this mortal coil and wind up screaming in teh burning pitch with my skin flayed from my meat by cackling demons, I'll be relieved, because it'll mean I'M NOT REALLY DEAD YET.

...and your implication that this generalized "atheist" you so often go on about, somehow doesn't feel responsible for his or her actions is bullshit. I absolutely do, right now, to my peer group and the collective entity embodied by my immediate and extended socio-cultural-familial group.

I don't need to know that the aforemention imaginary magical father figure is going to judge me: My immediate social group will judge me, and is judging me, RIGHT NOW.

The only true immortality is at the subatomic level.

Now, the universe is soul-numbingly vast, impossible for our tiny, finite minds to comprehend in anything other than the abstract, and full of wonders. Do we know the true nature of it's actuality? Nope, not a bit. well, MAYBE the tiniest smidgen. could there be a being of the nature usually attributed to the characteristics of God, or various gods? Sure.

do I think that such an entity wiould be anthing like the pantheon of predictably anthropomorophic human gods? not a fucking chance.

blondgecko

Nov 2, 2006, 9:31 PM
Post #62 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
[

Oh nooo my friend...it can be TERRIFYING, crushingly saddening, knowing that "I", the sentient entity that is me, will end absolutely, gone like snuffing out a candle, and that death, in it's actuality is, for the individual experiencing it, like that period of undreaming sleep, that blank, oblivious, unrealized discontinuity of identity. nothingness. That stilleto-sharp realization wakes me in the night, in tears.

No more Me. to my mind, the average Believer, willfully choosing to believe some magic father figure (what's THAT about?) in an alternate reality - invented in ancient times by what amount to superstitious primitives - is going to transport them to a realm of eternal happiness or eternal pain is a cowardly denial of the actuality of individual death, because they really don't wanna accept that they are really going to die.

"oh after I die, I'm gonna live some more!"

Sure, buddy. Good luck with that.

trust me, if I shuffle off this mortal coil and wind up screaming in teh burning pitch with my skin flayed from my meat by cackling demons, I'll be relieved, because it'll mean I'M NOT REALLY DEAD YET.

...and your implication that this generalized "atheist" you so often go on about, somehow doesn't feel responsible for his or her actions is s---. I absolutely do, right now, to my peer group and the collective entity embodied by my immediate and extended socio-cultural-familial group.

I don't need to know that the aforemention imaginary magical father figure is going to judge me: My immediate social group will judge me, and is judging me, RIGHT NOW.

The only true immortality is at the subatomic level.

Now, the universe is soul-numbingly vast, impossible for our tiny, finite minds to comprehend in anything other than the abstract, and full of wonders. Do we know the true nature of it's actuality? Nope, not a bit. well, MAYBE the tiniest smidgen. could there be a being of the nature usually attributed to the characteristics of God, or various gods? Sure.

do I think that such an entity wiould be anthing like the pantheon of predictably anthropomorophic human gods? not a f---ing chance.

Beautifully said.

blondgecko

Nov 2, 2006, 9:56 PM
Post #63 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

No, strictly that's agnosticism (it literally means, "unknowable")

... and it ain't for the reason you're insinuating. Such an impressive strawman you've got there. Once again:

Weak atheists are defined as such because they don't hold a belief position on the subject. They simply hold that there's no point believing in incredible claims without good evidence.

Agnostics hold the position that it is impossible to ever get that evidence.

Strong atheists actively believe that God doesn't exist.

Personally, towards the concept of gods in general I am a weak atheist, but only to the same extent that I lack belief in Russel's teapot, the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

I am agnostic only in the sense that it is very, very rare to have absolute proof of anything, let alone something as ill-defined as the god concept.

Towards the Abrahamic god/s I am a strong atheist - I am convinced that it is impossible for such self-contradictory beings to exist.

In reply to:
In reply to:

Really? Wow. You've got about 5 different things all confused together there.

You must be easily frightened if your own mistakes scare you.

From Jesus-is-lord.com, just one of many (many, many, many...) such sites:

In reply to:
I don't care how much "good" stuff you do, you still can't go to heaven. You are dead in tresspasses and sins. Your good deeds do not commend you to God in any way. You've ignored Him chosing to live life the way YOU see fit.

Jesus waits with open arms for those that want life. The choice is yours. If you're sick of being alienated from God, if you're tired of what this wicked and perverse world has to offer, if you want Jesus Christ as Lord of your life, if you want to be reconciled unto your Creator, if you want to go to heaven, if you want to escape hell -- put your faith in the One who can do something about it! Do you believe that Jesus Christ died for you? Do you believe that He rose from the dead? Do you repent of your sins? Do you want to follow Jesus?
If so, REPENT and talk to the Lord in prayer in your own words right now. Don't put off making a decision for Jesus, tomorrow may be too late. Some people don't know how to pray. Praying is just talking to the Lord. If you want to be saved, repent and pray--you can say something like, "Dear Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and I want to be saved. I repent of my sins, every one. I don't want to do evil anymore, I want to do righteousness through the blood of Jesus. I'm asking you to please forgive me of my sins against you. I want a new life in the Lord Jesus Christ. I want to be everything that You created me to be. I believe that Jesus shed His blood and died for me so that I could be saved from my sins. I believe that He rose from the dead on the third day. I want to be your child. Thank you for being merciful to me, a sinner. Thank you Lord Jesus for saving my soul from sin. Please fill me with your precious, Holy Spirit so that I can live a righteous, self-denying life for you. I'm giving you myself. Please show me what you want me to do. In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen."

You were saying?

blondgecko

Nov 2, 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #64 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first chapter of the book is now available for free.

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 3, 2006, 3:58 AM
Post #65 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To make a point about the lack of any possible falsifiability in religious beliefs, let me make the following disclosure to the world... And feel privlaged in the fact that "you heard it here first"...
(Note-If you are not familiar with the true meaning of the term, please click the link prior to reading on.)

I am the 2nd coming of Christ... Yep, who would have thought that Jesus was actually a climber, and a member of RC.com.

I am fulfilling what has been fortold in the Holy Bible, and am here to vanquious the Anti-Christ, whose identity I will NOT disclose, as he has a job to do before I can duke it out with him.

No need to kill yourself to get on the space ship hiding in comet Hale-Bopp's tail, or drink any kool-aid... Just believe in me, spread the word (forcibly if you think you need to), and you can kick it with me in heaven... If you don't, and you forsake me, then you will burn forever in Hell.

Now I know this may be hard for all of you to believe, but it has been fortold in the book, and that's always been enough "proof" for you thus far. If you don't believe it, then show me just 1 scrap of evidence that proves I am NOT Jesus. Just one.

Your new orders... Spread the word (forcibly if you want extra credit), judge others who don't agree with you(kill them for extra credit), do what you want and just pray for forgiveness and its all good(remember, I died so you can do this trick), and most important of all, do not question anything that others have said I have said, even though that's considered "hearsay" ???

Hmmm... I guess the orders aren't really all that new, so just carry on doing what you've been doing for melenia.... Sorry, no burning bush, just an internet post... I gotta go create a myspace account now, as its the 21st century ya know... How many "friends" requests do you think I'll get ??? :wink:

Now I hope nobody takes any offense to this, if so, pray for thicker skin, and realize that I can also say I am Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, Haile Selassie, Shang Ti, Brahman, Om, Zeus, Odin, Ra, and even The Great Flying Spagetti Monster to name just a few of my other nick-names, as I am omnipitant, and am all of these... And nobody could disproove the FACT that I am God.

The point I am trying to make is that NOBODY can show any reason, not one, that their belief in any individual God is the correct one, and that all other beliefs (whether in another God, sect, or non-belief) are incorrect. Yet believers seem to be so sure that they are correct, and everyone else is wrong, and will even KILL others as a result. WHY ???

Any questions ??? How I actually created the Big Bang, and what I was doing before I did so... Why I killed off the dinosaurs... Why men have tits... How Noah actually crammed all the world's biomass on a wooden boat...

Ask anything, I'll tell ya, as climbers are my chosen people, and this makes you special and better than all other people. :D

Partner tradman

Nov 3, 2006, 9:46 AM
Post #66 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
show me just 1 scrap of evidence that proves I am NOT Jesus. Just one.

Okay. You don't fit what it says about you in the bible. And if you don't fit the description, you ain't it. The second coming of christ and its circumstances is described in detail, and you don't fulfill any of the criteria in that description.

Partner tradman

Nov 3, 2006, 9:50 AM
Post #67 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am convinced that it is impossible for such self-contradictory beings to exist.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

So anything that you don't understand is impossible?

Wow, I knew your world view was tiny, but I didn't realise it was that microscopic.

In reply to:
You were saying?

I was saying something you didn't bother to read. Perhpas you didn't understand it and so deemed it to be non-existent.

AHAHAHAHAAAA!

Partner tradman

Nov 3, 2006, 9:56 AM
Post #68 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

So you're scared of nothing happening at all?

Do you sit at home in your armchair, unable to move because of some paralysing terror of the next few minutes in which nothing will happen?

No, I didn't think you did.

In reply to:
...and your implication that this generalized "atheist" you so often go on about, somehow doesn't feel responsible for his or her actions is s---.

I said nothing of the sort. I said that the average atheist believes that they won't be held responsible for their actions after death. (And if you do believe that, you are one strange "atheist")

In reply to:

Well, that's why Jesus said eth most important thing is to love God with all your heart, and to also love your neighbour as much as you love yourself.

Partner tradman

Nov 3, 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #69 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In a thread about an instructional book published by an atheist for atheists, in which atheists repeat and discuss the book's teachings and congratulate each other on their excellent atheist ideas?

What, are you fucking kidding?

blondgecko

Nov 3, 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #70 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I am convinced that it is impossible for such self-contradictory beings to exist.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

So anything that you don't understand is impossible?

Wow, I knew your world view was tiny, but I didn't realise it was that microscopic.

:roll:

This is getting boring. I understand the biblical description of God well enough - that's why I said it was self-contradictory, not incomprehensible.

In reply to:
In reply to:
...and your implication that this generalized "atheist" you so often go on about, somehow doesn't feel responsible for his or her actions is s---.

I said nothing of the sort. I said that the average atheist believes that they won't be held responsible for their actions after death. (And if you do believe that, you are one strange "atheist")

For the last fucking time,

DISBELIEF IS NOT A BELIEF!

Partner tradman

Nov 3, 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #71 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is getting boring. I understand the biblical description of God well enough - that's why I said it was self-contradictory, not incomprehensible.

A lot of things look self-contradictory if you don't understand them and don't bother learning about them.

Photons are waves and particles? Gee whiz, then according to you they must not exist!

In reply to:
For the last f---ing time,

You should calm down, you'll hurt yourself. For someone who doesn't care enough about all this to even have a belief about it, you're really fucking angry, man.

blondgecko

Nov 3, 2006, 1:02 PM
Post #72 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

A lot of things look self-contradictory if you don't understand them and don't bother learning about them.

Anyone ever tell you you assume too much?

In reply to:
For the last f---ing time,

You should calm down, you'll hurt yourself. For someone who doesn't care enough about all this to even have a belief about it, you're really f---ing angry, man.
Well, I tend to get a bit frustrated when someone is either too dense, to stubborn or too immature to show understanding of a simple point.

I hope you'll understand.

degaine

Nov 3, 2006, 1:28 PM
Post #73 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

In a thread about an instructional book published by an atheist for atheists, in which atheists repeat and discuss the book's teachings and congratulate each other on their excellent atheist ideas?

What, are you f---ing kidding?

Really, you need to bring swearing into the discussion? Given the crap flying around between you and other posters in this "discussion" I thought I'd at least try to be civil. Apparently when you have nothing else to add to the discussion or when you’re stumped you feel the need to resort to this. Oh well.

No one I know who does not believe in God or an afterlife has read anything telling them how they should go about being an atheist. I’ve never heard of any books - would have been nice if you had cited the book you mention, I was not trying to be confrontational – and neither have any of my acquaintances/friends who “don’t believe” (again this subset might be statistically insignificant).

Classify away if you like, but you’re artificially creating a group where none really exists, as if the ideology of “Atheism” stands alongside Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc., as a religion all by itself.

Partner tradman

Nov 3, 2006, 2:26 PM
Post #74 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
would have been nice if you had cited the book you mention

Uh Degaine, check the thread title: "The God Delusion" is the name of a new book by prominent atheist Richard Dawkins. It's a book of justifications for why religion is wrong, bad, a mental illness and so on. Perhaps you should read it, I'm sure blondgecko can let you know if it's any good.

In reply to:
No one I know who does not believe in God or an afterlife has read anything telling them how they should go about being an atheist.

Well, if you have look at this and similar threads, the atheists here have a remarkable stock of links, books and references on the subject. Looks to me like they've been studying pretty hard.

In reply to:
Classify away if you like, but you’re artificially creating a group where none really exists, as if the ideology of “Atheism” stands alongside Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc., as a religion all by itself.

Atheism's enough of an ideology to have its own definition, common beliefs and representatives. You can have a look in any encyclopedia and you'll get a good idea of what its main ideas are.

robbovius

Nov 3, 2006, 2:41 PM
Post #75 of 87 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

What, are you f---ing kidding?

Really, you need to bring swearing into the discussion? Given the crap flying around between you and other posters in this "discussion" I thought I'd at least try to be civil...

Degaine, you're taking the wrong view here. Tradman eats this stuff up, totally, He like nothing better than a good flame fight where he can trot out his own stereotypical - though impressively well-read, I have to admit - definitions of atheism, and tell everyone who he's classified as an atheist in his own mind that they're stupid, and - as he so perfectly "tradman-ly" put - belong to a group of "2% fringe wackos". thus does he so constantly justfy the superiority of his christian viewpoint.

I knew that trying to explian the despair I feel about knowing that someday "I" won't be anymore, forever would be a waste of time, and he'd find some way to tell me I'm stupid. Oh well. whatever.

Go ahead Dave, tell me I'm stupid again, you know you want to.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook