Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Hardest line in Eurpoe? America ? Asia ?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

bbevans039

Sep 11, 2002, 1:00 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Hardest line in Eurpoe? America ? Asia ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been contemplating... Hardest lines on these continents , i missed the "new seven summits issue" instead of the highest... its all about the hardest !!!!!

But what are they ?

I believe that in Europe one of the Eiger North Face routes would suffice to be the most difficult? tell me what ya think, that im almost clueless where to begin

In America, Devils Thumb ? but isnt it unclimbed as of yet ? not sure ? Denali Diamond ?

Asia , this could go forever?
Annapurna ?
North Face of Jannu ?
Kanchenjunga's North Face
Magic Line on K2
Latok 2 ?
North Face of Shivling ?

too many variables but what is the hardest ever achieved ???I need the help of other fellow alpinists !
Thanks , keep krankin

coconutz

Sep 11, 2002, 8:18 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Hardest line in Eurpoe? America ? Asia ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you getting a tic list togather or something . I saw you post on the aid board also. I would have to say the hardest thing in NA would be the Kichatna (sp) spire. Seen only like 6 ascents and no repeats , and it's SE or E face is still undone. Devils Thumb has been repeated I belive, although it's North Face classifies a quite a MF'er to get up. In Europe I would have to say either some of the technical routes in Cham that are conditions dependent or the one in the seven summits issue, can't even begin to spell it. The routes in Cham are probably a lot harder technically but not as dangrous as the latter. Objective danger, objective danger my friend. In asia I would have to say the biggest accomplishment I would like to see is an alpine style ascent of K2, via a hard route . I think this has been tried for years and years and a few handfull of people have gottn very close. I'm almost positive that no one has climbed it base camp to summit in one go w/o stocked camps or fixed ropes. Could be wrong though. So what do you think are the hardest routes, huh?

marcel

Sep 11, 2002, 2:52 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bbevans039 you are right the North Face of the Devil's Thumb is unclimbed. The Thumb has seen around 35 to 40 people on the top since Fred Becky did it in 1946. Most of the ascents have been via the East Ridge, or varations of.

[ This Message was edited by: marcel on 2002-09-11 07:54 ]

bbevans039

Sep 11, 2002, 2:55 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea , i posted somthing in the Aid Forum , I have been trying to find information, just for the sake of interest, I am looking for the hardest routes , then trying to find a little literature about them , by no means, i wanna climb any of that stuff ,As for the Alpine routes I can understand an alpine ascent of K2 via a tech route , thats easy to beleive , that question could have so many answers. thanks for helping me out. In the mountainsIm looking into climbing the SW ridge of Ama Dablam , thats my next big venture. hopefully it will fall through

marcel

Sep 11, 2002, 3:20 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bbevans039 Here is another thread that asked a similar question to yours:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=14875&forum=30&18

Ama Dablam is some serious stuff too! Good luck!

Also, do you know about the North East Buttress of Mnt Slesse? It's only a days drive from you and is a real classic!

bertdehouck

Sep 13, 2002, 10:02 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've done the north face of mount eiger last year, hardest thing i've ever done !!!

rockprodigy

Sep 17, 2002, 3:32 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the hardest lines in NA I would have to suggest the E face of Mooses tooth, the full Hummingbird Ridge or the SW ridge of Mount Hunter. I'm not sure I agree with Climbing's choice of Kichatna spire for most difficult, but then I haven't climbed it yet. It hasn't been climbed that much because it hasn't been tried that much. I would argue mt logan or saint elias are harder to summit.

They sort of contradict themselves because they are asserting that technical rock is more difficult than altitude, but in asia they chose K2 over the trango towers?

Devil's thumb's NW face is unclimbed, it's about 6000' of near vertical rock with not alot of features. It will be a long time before it gets climbed because of the lack of interest in the area. The NE face has been climbed and a 60 pitch route on the "north pillar" has been done. It's definitely not the hardest summit in NA, but it doesn't get climbed a lot because it's expensive and has bad weather. Alex Lowe supposedly spent 10 days waiting below the north face before he gave up and said he'd never come back....which is true.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook