RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

kap

Nov 18, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #1 of 8 (561 views)
Shortcut

Reiimer's Ranch
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to be in Texas visiting family over Thanksgiving and was considering taking my (non-climber) brother and nephew to Reimer's Ranch for a day of moderate top-roping. I've never been to Reimer's Ranch, so don't know what to expect. Is it an easy place to set up top ropes? I assume there are, at least, a good number of moderate climbs.

I can't seem to find a guide book. Does one exist? Any guide on-line refrences?

Thanks in advance.

kachoong

Nov 19, 2006, 1:09 AM
Post #2 of 8 (558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kap] Reiimer's Ranch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The local guide book is called Austin Rock. Might be too late for you to order it online if you need it by next week, but it's about 20 bucks.

Good concentration of routes at mid-range (9-10+) at Dead Cats Wall and Prototype Wall.

dicwu

Nov 19, 2006, 7:22 AM
Post #3 of 8 (552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can also DL an online guide at http://www.texasclimbers.com/. should give you reimer's basics and more than enough for 1 day. dead cat's & prototype are the most well-traveled. on weekends (and some weekdays) u'll find climbers to give u directions & beta. reimer's is closed on some days.. i forgot which ones, so just make sure you don't go those days of the week.

have fun!!

kap

Nov 19, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #4 of 8 (543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dicwu] Reiimer's Ranch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info.

I take it that there is easy access to the top of the cliff to set up a top rope?

kachoong

Nov 19, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #5 of 8 (542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the info.

I take it that there is easy access to the top of the cliff to set up a top rope?
No worries,

I've only been there once, but I'm sure there is easy access to the top, only it's a fair ways around. Just watch out for people below. Better option in my opinion would be to lead an easy route and get to the top that way. It would be quicker.

nnichols

Nov 20, 2006, 6:28 PM
Post #6 of 8 (525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Reiimer's Ranch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. There is easy access to the top of the "cliffs" at Dead Cats; however, I've never seen anyone actually set up a toprope from the top. There is a lot of loose rock and the possibility of hurting people below is extremely high (in my opinion). People just walking around up there have knocked down rocks and the climbers and belayers below rarely wear helmets (some do when they're leading).

I've been on the top of the cliffs and it seems like it would be difficult to see the anchors from the top and if anyone is on the route below. Of course, I've never walked to the edge to look down - I'm a chicken!

blackwell4

Nov 23, 2006, 2:08 AM
Post #7 of 8 (502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nnichols] Reiimer's Ranch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah thats right. No real Top rope access exists.

The climbs have to be led to be set up on TR.

Not to worry though, there are lots of folks willing to set up routes for others.

Come early, its gonna be crowded.

astone

Dec 19, 2006, 1:55 PM
Post #8 of 8 (422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reimer's wasn't really equipped for walk up toprope access. If you are intensely averse to the idea of spending a few seconds on the sharp end then you should bring a stick clip and learn how to aid your way up a route. Such an epic would surely be more entertaining to watch than the usual stick clip silliness that occurs at Reimer's.

Oh and also, don't wear out fixed gear by toproping through it. Bring some gear of your own. Also, don't gangrope a whole crag while others are waiting to lead.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook